1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the 2004-Prius Yahoo Users Site:
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:26:35 -0000
Subject: Another 2004 BC review, Boston
I picked up my driftwood BC Nov-22. (yes it was actually my 1st choice, tan interior is really attractive) Coming from a 2000 Diesel golf (calculated 47 MPG life-time, 70K miles). The 5spd golf had similar sensitivities to cold temps to what I see reported on prius-~7% lower MPG in winter). My commute is 120 miles/day (Ipswich to Southborough) that includes the infamous rt 128, a stop&go highway
that en-circles Boston MA. I'm a non-pioneer who put $500 deposit back in august site unseen, motivated mostly by the excitement/content on this web-site. I've been driving manuals since 1986.
So many "wow" factors. The blue digital speedometer is projected/magnified in an area just under the windshield and appears to "float". Acceleration is strikingly quiet and smooth- there is none of the signature shifting found in most other automatic transmissions. I generally can get out of the garage w/no ICE. I found turning off the climate fan produces the most incredible silence experience. The
smart entry/start, while not *needed*, is one of the neatest items I've ever had in a car. It wows everyone. Also, My favorite voice command is "XX degrees"
MPG so far:
49.7 (8.1gal) most recent
48.3 (7.9gal)
44.8 (7.0gal)
48.2 (8.3gal)
41.6 (8.6gal) first
Average temps have been 25-35 recently. I always fill up within 20 miles of blinking last bar. I haven't yet figured out what does it, but the consumption screen has twice mysteriously reset following fill up. I think it *might* be when you press *and* hold the ODO when it is displaying lifetime mileage. (Rather than trip A or B). still testing ...
I suppose it would seem obvious, but the Prius is so much quieter vs Diesel, and no soot on the back!! I'm still getting the feel of the car. There is a weird Gyro felling to it. Also, I often notice what I can only describe as a distant grinding sound- like when you need new break pads. It's only noticeable with climate fan off, and I suspect it involves the "generator flywheel". Best mileage is achieved by driving <70 and working "with" the road. If I see a slight down hill grade, rather than tailgate, I may let the car in front gain a few car lengths as i sip a few seconds at 70-100 MPG. City/traffic really does yield >50. i travel 65-75 MPH on Highway, 35-40 in country roads.
I miss the 5spd, but since the Honda civic hybrid didn't have fold down rear seats, it would have meant buying a rack to go skiing. Also the prius is just plain bigger. I test drove it, IMHO, Prius really is in a completely different class.
Fob. I still fumble here, squirting windshield wiper fluid and then remembering. At that point, down makes perfect sense, to those familiar with auto shift.
Nav is great- dead on accurate. Just wish it was operable when in motion.
Stealth is *much* harder to maintain on cold days <30F.
This site is great. Even after getting this car, I'm a total junky, and download expanded messages to my Palm-Tungsten to read when traveling.
Ps. I'm in the "sometimes leave it running group" (park) to buy the Sunday Globe. And the car will beep at you as if to say, hey where are you going, don't leave me . Or maybe it's "hey you jerk, stop wasting gas." (Now if it was the Nav lady, maybe I'd listen ;-)
Bottom line: Selling the Golf Diesel will never make financial sense, but with the VSC, and all the BC gadgets, I feel I'm in heaven! Great car. For what it's worth - wait for this car, you won't be sorry.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/2004-prius/

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: (FCdemon)

Quote, originally posted by FCdemon »
when the thing that excites you most about your car is it's MPG then I think it's time to find a quiet place to die.

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
11,372 Posts

I know it may be hard for you to believe, but there ARE people who use their cars for transportation and aren't enthusiasts. Having the commute that I do, I miss having a TDI and the awesome mileage it got.
Anyway, I like the new Prius, I really think its a step in the right direction for hybrids.
when the thing that excites you most about your car is it's MPG then I think it's time to find a quiet place to die.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Quote, originally posted by 47th Ronin »
Nav is great- dead on accurate. Just wish it was operable when in motion.

Since when is Toyota navigation not operable when in motion? All you have to do is press the "I Agree" button on the screen and it will let you see the screen. Supposing the Prius has the same navigation as the new 4Runner and Land Cruiser do. Unless its because the screen that tells you where the energy is going comes up over the nav or something. I haven't driven the new Prius yet, just the old one.

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '12 MCS
12,860 Posts

It is possible to be excited about mileage and still be an enthusiast, and still have fun. I love trying to get over 800 miles on my tank in my TDI, but at the same time, I love Autocrossing it too.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts

I agree with the others, I like getting good mileage. I don't believe in the old philosophy of "my car will pass everything but a gas station".

·
Banned
125 Posts
Re:

The one thing that REALLY ticked me off about my TDI was how long it took to heat up the cabin in the winter time. The TDI guys say it's about "thermoefficiency" WHO CARES. TIRED of freezing my butt off

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,125 Posts
Re: Bostonian Sells 2000 Golf TDI 5-Spd for a New Prius (FourthGenHatch)

Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
Since when is Toyota navigation not operable when in motion? All you have to do is press the "I Agree" button on the screen and it will let you see the screen.

From my experience with a 2003 LS430, you can't enter a destination into the screen - even as a passenger - when the car is moving. Given the poster's fascination with all of the electronic gadgets in the car, this might not be a bad thing for the sake of his fellow commuters on 128....
Tom

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Re: Re: (courtesi)

Quote, originally posted by courtesi »
The one thing that REALLY ticked me off about my TDI was how long it took to heat up the cabin in the winter time. The TDI guys say it's about "thermoefficiency" WHO CARES. TIRED of freezing my butt off

Get heated seats.
The Prius won't warm up any faster since it uses mostly elecrtic power around town and gas on the highway. That's why the highway milage is worse than the city mileage

I can't wait to hear the Prius owners start to scream and cry about the cost of replacing the battery cells in a couple of years.
That cost alone will more than kill any mpg figure's savings (about $5,000 just for the part, add to that a few days worth of service labor charges to actually get it in and a disposal fee for the old pack and you are close to $10K).
So you sell it when it nears the 100K mile warranty..... who the heck wants to buy it?? Great for resale value.
Besides tha fact that it costs $21,000 to begin with. Already $5K more than a TDI Golf.
TDI http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm sure all those dead battery cells are great for the environment too.

Modified by B12Teuton at 8:03 AM 12-17-2003

Modified by B12Teuton at 8:14 AM 12-17-2003

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Re: Re: (courtesi)

Quote, originally posted by courtesi »

Maybe some heated seats should be on your Christmas list. I love them! My wife passes out on them when I put them on 5!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Re: (Chmeeee)

Quote, originally posted by Chmeeee »

It is possible to be excited about mileage and still be an enthusiast, and still have fun. I love trying to get over 800 miles on my tank in my TDI, but at the same time, I love Autocrossing it too.

Plus, for a few hundred dollars, you can chip a TDI to much better performance (basic chips will get you 15-20 more hp and 35-50 more lb-ft of blessed torque)while retaining 45-50mpg.
They arent stoplight racers, but they will pull like nobodys business and have that awesome turbo whine. Plus, no replacement batteries to worry about, and they don't have that lame CVT crap.

·
Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,513 Posts
Re: Re: (B12Teuton)

Seeing as the A/C is electric the heater might be as well. That should make for nearly instant heat.
The batteries and powertrain are covered for 8 years I believe. Replacements shouldn't be a problem. Toyota has gone a long way to make this car no differnet to own then a Corolla

Modified by CBJ at 11:13 AM 12-17-2003

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

I love getting 54 mph on the highway
I love averaging 40 mph doing 100 mph on the highway....

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: (sisiisis)

Quote, originally posted by sisiisis »
Its all about the "WOW" factor when it comes to the new Prius.

It's cool technology, that improves on the hybrid technology....certainly WOW the magazine editors, like MT and C&D

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Re: (GT17V)

Quote, originally posted by GT17V »

I love getting 54 mph on the highway
I love averaging 40 mph doing 100 mph on the highway....

I love when people don't proofread their posts

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Most of the people on the Vortex are wannanbe's anyway...slapping on rims, a body kit, and a chip doesn't mean you're an enthusiast anyway.
I think the new Prius is fantastic and I hope it'll open a trend for new cars to come out. What it will do, hopefully, is turn this stupid trend of heavier, bigger engined cars from being the norm as it is today.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts