VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black 97 golf k2 and the bottoms of the doors just started to turn white! Its just at the very bottom of the front doors, but i still dont like it. what would you guys do to try to remedy this problem? if all else fails i guess next spring its time for some new paint!
thanks- http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: bottoms of doors turning white? (ghettlo)

What is the base color of the vehicle?
Is it a clearcoat?
Sometimes the atomizing bells will get off cycle and not apply enough clear on the bottom areas of the vehicles.
Ketch

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: bottoms of doors turning white? (ghettlo)

Just remebered something, black non-clear as well as clearcoated black uses a white primer, may be that there was not enough black top coat applied as well.
Ketch

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Re: bottoms of doors turning white? (ketch)

ketch, I think you hit the nail on the head on the second post. I've checked the film build on some newer cars that weren't really up to snuff. With a 1997 model, it's probably been clay barred, rubbed and/or polished a few times, taking off just enough black film to see primer. In fact, I've seen a few color match problems on black Fords because the OEM black was just not up to full opacity and the grey primer left an overall milky look when compared to a refinished panel that has enough black on it.

[Modified by Ron L, 8:18 PM 11-21-2001]

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: bottoms of doors turning white? (Ron L)

If the operator in the paint kitchen is not watching closely, the bells can get out of adjustment and apply to little base coat or clear and since the ecoat is a dip process, sometimes the surface primers, they are much more consistant in film build than the base and clear.
Jumped all over an operator at Michigan Truck, seems the Expeditions and Navagators were only getting one pass of the clear bells when the top surfaces are supposed to get two passes.
The guy was getting ready to retire and didn't want to shut the line and make the correction. Got that straighten out!!!
Unfortunately, (was in 98), there are about 2,000 to 3,000 of them running around with only 1 mil of clear on the top surfaces.
Lazy people, non-quality concerned, people drive me nuts!!
Ketch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.