VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much information on these on TCL, so I figured I will contribute and add to the library :thumbup:

Background:
My daily driver for the last 10+ years has been a 2007 MKV GTI, which I bought new in Nov 2006. 177K+ miles later, the car still runs and drives great (surprising, I know :eek:). I always liked the idea of owning an SUV for camping and ski trips, plus being able to tow my other toy to the track always seemed like the way to go. What sold me on it was a Ford Explorer I rented this winter for a trip to Mammoth (loved the car), so I started looking for the following:
* Price: cheaper than MKVII GTI Sport
* Reliable
* Under 100K miles
* Comfortable
* Can tow 5000lb+
Looked at 4runners at first (both V6 and V8), and was quite surprised on how expensive they are! Long story short, came across Lexus GX470, which is basically a re-badged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (4Runner in the US with different sheet metal) with a V8 and some Lexus-exclusive plastic wood scattered around the interior. While more rare than 4Runners, I noticed that it is much easier to find clean examples, as most owners who bought these new were rich (personal opinion) and maintained their cars at the dealer. I looked for a 2007+ model, which has more power than early models without VVT-i, and has an updated Navigation unit than ’06 and older, which look a bit too dated for me.

Here is what I ended up with:

2007 GX470, 75K miles with full service records from a Lexus dealer (including timing belt!), and man, is this thing clean! I feel so lucky that I found one as clean as this, there are almost no signs of wear anywhere inside or out, paint is almost flawless, feels and drives like new! Owned it for about a month now and put around 1K miles on it, and still look forward to driving it every time.

It’s quite loaded with toys (such as sport mode and cassette deck :laugh:), has a 6500lb towing capacity, seats 8, very comfortable on the crappy roads of LA. I like that its an old school SUV, body on frame, big engine, lazy auto, and is supposed to be quite capable off road, which I will probably never take full advantage of, apart of some trips to the snow in winter. It’s also not that uncommon in the overlanding community, which I’m not part of, but I like the fact that it is :p

As for the GTI, I was thinking of selling it, but decided to keep it and run it into the ground. It’s not worth much in the used car market with so many miles, and I pretty much know this car inside and out and kept up with all the maintenance. Besides, I really like that I am able to switch between driving an SUV one day and a hot hatch the other.

I understand that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m very happy with it, hope it will last me for a ling time :thumbup: (gas milage shall not be discussed).

·
Registered
422 Posts
I put 100K on my '07 before selling it. Traded it for a GTI, then a 4runner, then a Cayenne... :)

The GX is a great truck. Incredibly well made. Loved that truck, and I'm very much not a "lexus guy".

Rear air can be finicky. Beyond that, rock solid.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 2020 Odyssey
1,837 Posts
I absolutely love these. One of my neighbors has one with I assume low miles since it's a third car for them. I want it so bad. They've aged very well and pretty much bulletproof compared to other lux SUVs from this time.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
~2004 up until the alien vs predator styling was a great time for Lexus' quality. They just don't wear. I'm gonna go ahead and say they were the ultimate expression of Japanese luxury -- not fast, flashy, or overly "luxurious".. just extremely high quality fit, finish, materials, and engineering. Comparing a used Lexus from that time period to anything else made in the same year really high lights how well they were built. Jaguars are ****, Infinitis are ****, BMWs are awesome but starting to fall apart, Benzes have already fallen apart... but the Lexuses (Lexii?) somehow look and drive 85% as well as they did the day they left the dealership. Nice purchase. :beer:

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 FieSTa
9,816 Posts
Those are awesome trucks :thumbup: Congrats!

As much as I loved how they drove, I couldn't bring myself to take the risk on a FSI/TSI VW (IE the only fun ones)

·
Registered
South Florida
5,929 Posts
My Brother-in law has been leasing these for years.....he is on his 4th one. In my opinion they have just been getting worse and worse as far as de-contenting. The one he just got now doesn't even have rear A/C anymore, cheap plastic interior, no adjustable suspension etc. By far the year you got was the best year for the GX.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Being that you went from an 07 to an 07, do you feel like you got a "better" vehicle? Obviously the GTI and GX never competed when new, but does the GX really feel like a newer car? Or just more luxurious? I've always wondered how older luxury cars compete vs new basic car? Like how would an older LX430 compare to a new Taurus or something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone!

A cassette deck in an '07? :eek: Surprising.

Did you keep your GTI?
Now I regret getting rid of my old Cypress Hill cassettes :laugh:

Yes, I'm keeping the GTI :thumbup:

Those are awesome trucks :thumbup: Congrats!

As much as I loved how they drove, I couldn't bring myself to take the risk on a FSI/TSI VW (IE the only fun ones)
I was worried too, especially after I learned about the cam follower issues after buying it. I replaced mine twice so far, as a preventative measure, and both times there was no wear on it :confused: Overall its been a reliable car, with a couple annoying issues (headliner :banghead:) Maybe I'll make a thread on my experiences with the GTI too :thumbup:

Beautiful truck, congrats. I always wanted one of these. It is so nice to drive that you actually look forward to it, coming from a GTI?
It drives very different from what I'm used to. I always owned small sporty cars, and I gues driving to DTLA and not having to worry about avoiding every pothole is it's own kind of "nice" :laugh:

Nice! Mind telling us how much? I've been thinking about one of these for towing purposes and long trips.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
It was listed for 20K, ended up getting it for just under $20K OTD. Sounds like a lot for a 10 year old car, but the way I look at it - I could be in a new Civic or Jetta, so screw it :p Plus I looked at a few other GXs, some priced even higher, and they were not as clean or had high miles. It was hard to negotiate when there is nothing on the car to complain about, or I am just not very good at negotiating.

I really dislike the wood trim--looks orange on my phone. But the rest of the vehicle looks fun and durable. Nice purchase!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm not a big fan of the wood wither, but I must mention that it does't look as bad and orange in person. Models that had the Sport package had black wood trim, which looks a lot nicer, but they are unfortunately very hard to find. I was lucky I found one that didn't have a beige interior :laugh:

I looked at these before buying my 4Runner. Has a very floaty isolated feeling. They were a lot easier to find in good condition though.
The ride is very floaty, especially in Comfort setting. Putting it in Sport actually makes a difference though. I noticed this when driving on the freeway, it is a lot more floaty in comfort mode, and much more damped and more "planted" in sport. Overall though, you are right, its pretty floaty. Isolated? Maybe depends on what you compare it to. I think some full-size SUVs I drove before have been worse.

Being that you went from an 07 to an 07, do you feel like you got a "better" vehicle? Obviously the GTI and GX never competed when new, but does the GX really feel like a newer car? Or just more luxurious? I've always wondered how older luxury cars compete vs new basic car? Like how would an older LX430 compare to a new Taurus or something.
That's a good question, made me think about it for a bit. I'd say the GX does feel newer simply because it's in better condition, and has 100K miles less than the GTI. I also feel like it's a better-built overall than the GTI (which makes sense considering how much each cost when new). But the GTI feels more modern (looking at you, cassette deck :D), even if it has less features (It's a base model GTI with no options). Something about the GX just has that 90's feel to it to me, not sure how to describe it really.

Id also like to add a few more things I forgot to discuss in the OP. The tailgate opens sideways:

I've read that some people dislike this feature (don't remember the reasons), but I think it's pretty neat, makes it easy to open when inside a garage, and not worry hitting your head on it.

Also, my main complaint about this car is the HVAC controls, which are integrated to the Nav screen:

This pretty much means that I will never have the option to change out the Nav if I wanted to. Oh well.. Hopefully it lasts! On the plus side, this touch screen is of older type (resistive?), and responds very fast to inputs with no lag whatsoever. I've played around with some VW touchscreen units (1st gen ones), and some of those those were pretty laggy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts