VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
89,720 Posts
Former boss had a previous gen LX470.
It was nice and surprisingly quiet iirc.
And I echo your thoughts- it seems like these are generally better shape used than 4runners.
They all come quite well equipped too.
Hmm.

googles.
Looks like fuel economy isn't stellar, but that's what you get with such a capable V8 truck.
Note previous gen doesn't need premium.. so there is that.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
I too went down this path a couple of years ago when I was looking for a utility vehicle. I initially was looking at pickups, but their prices used are absurd. Unless you want something very old with a ton of miles, it makes more sense to go buy a new one with a ton of incentives. Anyway, I happened upon these and thought they were a screaming deal on the used market compared to what wore-out pickups are going for. I looked very carefully at them and even drove a few 08s, which was the MY I was looking at. Great trucks, and I liked the Lexus touches over the 4Runner. Ended up buying my parents' Titan off of them instead as I did need a pickup, but had I gotten one, I would have de-"soccer mom'd" it and pulled the running boards, added some different wheels with bigger tires. My brother also picked up on the idea when I was telling him about it, and bought an 07 about a year ago. It has been flawless.

·
Registered
08 Ferrari F430, 20 Model 3P, 13 RRS SC, 12/11 Range Rover Autobiography, 07 Touareg V10
264 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Also, my main complaint about this car is the HVAC controls, which are integrated to the Nav screen:

This pretty much means that I will never have the option to change out the Nav if I wanted to. Oh well.. Hopefully it lasts! On the plus side, this touch screen is of older type (resistive?), and responds very fast to inputs with no lag whatsoever. I've played around with some VW touchscreen units (1st gen ones), and some of those those were pretty laggy.
Put it in Auto, select your temperature, and forget about it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I've got one for wifey, replaced her Disco as a DD (just don't like the new Landies).

Pros:
Great engine, pretty sure the thing will run forever
it has third row jump seats just in case you absolutely have to cart a few extra kids or pecks around.
nothing really seems to break on them

Cons:
rust
wheels are flakier than a teen girl whose phone's battery has died
rust
why cover everything in the engine bay with those plastic trays held on by those gawtdammed plastic rivets

The first time you change the oil you'll think 'that's clever!' Also, buy some weather tech floor mats and cargo liner, perfect and needed. I have the tan cabin and the color matches nicely.

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
That LandCruiser Prado is an amazing truck! Well done! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well done OP!

I like these! Though I am a fan of the new predator grill & like the 4.6L V8 > previous 4.7L... Overall I'm amazed with Toyota reliability/longevity lately...

I too am looking forward to pairing my Evo with a large SUV/truck...but it'll likely be a truck (Tundra) since we need the bed for hauling stuff more often than people.

But yeah, I see a larger SUV in our future. GX, MDX, new Armada, Durango... Didn't think I'd be considering these, but lately I've really warmed up to larger vehicles...

All that said, I saw your generation GX take a corner in a parking lot not long ago and then slosh back-n-forth with bodyroll for ~5 seconds... I know corners aren't the intended purpose, but still... :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I too went down this path a couple of years ago when I was looking for a utility vehicle. I initially was looking at pickups, but their prices used are absurd. Unless you want something very old with a ton of miles, it makes more sense to go buy a new one with a ton of incentives. Anyway, I happened upon these and thought they were a screaming deal on the used market compared to what wore-out pickups are going for. I looked very carefully at them and even drove a few 08s, which was the MY I was looking at. Great trucks, and I liked the Lexus touches over the 4Runner. Ended up buying my parents' Titan off of them instead as I did need a pickup, but had I gotten one, I would have de-"soccer mom'd" it and pulled the running boards, added some different wheels with bigger tires. My brother also picked up on the idea when I was telling him about it, and bought an 07 about a year ago. It has been flawless.
I like the idea of making it a bit more rugged looking too. I might look into a different set of wheels when the tires wear out. There are some pretty cool looking Toyota OEM options :

Put it in Auto, select your temperature, and forget about it. :thumbup:
Haven't played much with the Auto mode. I noticed it just blasts the fan on high in your face if the temp is set to Low.. I guess i'll play with it more

I've got one for wifey, replaced her Disco as a DD (just don't like the new Landies).

Pros:
Great engine, pretty sure the thing will run forever
it has third row jump seats just in case you absolutely have to cart a few extra kids or pecks around.
nothing really seems to break on them

Cons:
rust
wheels are flakier than a teen girl whose phone's battery has died
rust
why cover everything in the engine bay with those plastic trays held on by those gawtdammed plastic rivets

The first time you change the oil you'll think 'that's clever!' Also, buy some weather tech floor mats and cargo liner, perfect and needed. I have the tan cabin and the color matches nicely.
Thanks, I will look into the mats. Love the Monster mats in the GTI :thumbup: Yes, the amount of plastic covers in the engine bay is a bit :screwy: But that's just a Lexus thing in general.

I couldn't find the oil dip stick when I first brought it home, and freaked out a bit thinking it had one of those electronic oil level indicators on the dash. Then after looking in the manual I was relieved :laugh: It's right next to the passenger side firewall.

I'm not sure of the full functionality, but I know there is an "iMaestro data link" thing that pairs with certain receivers for HVAC and other functionalities on the screen.
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep this in mind :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,374 Posts
Great buy, I love these :thumbup:

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
Great snag, OP!

I have considered one of these as a replacement for my C300. They're just fine as frog hair around here. None of the local Lexus dealers have any, and the closest one in a Carmax is in Florida. Hard to believe a 10 year old SUV can still command $20K, but it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The SC 430 was available with a cassette deck up to 2010, Lexus knows their market. :p
Yeah, really. Can you imagine me jamming to Body Count in a Lexus? I can't.

I still have an old Body Count tape. For you millenials, that's some old Ice-T metal-rap from around '90 that had a couple of ...ahem. .controversial songs on it. :laugh:

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
I like the idea of making it a bit more rugged looking too. I might look into a different set of wheels when the tires wear out. There are some pretty cool
Yup. Just be sure to put normal tyres on, unless you're planning on doing a LOT of off-roading.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Great pick up OP! Me and my wife love our '05, and still going strong even with 130k miles. It looks like you found a peach that was well taken care of.

One minor note - The VVT-i motor was available starting in '05, and they have a stronger tune in the Lexus version than the Toyota version that can take advantage of 91/93 octane.

Also, if you want, you can install a module that gives you Android functionality with the built-in Nav screen as well bluetooth streaming.

http://gromaudio.com/store/vline/lexus_2004-2006_grom_vline_infotainment_system.html

Well done OP!

I like these! Though I am a fan of the new predator grill & like the 4.6L V8 > previous 4.7L... Overall I'm amazed with Toyota reliability/longevity lately...

I too am looking forward to pairing my Evo with a large SUV/truck...but it'll likely be a truck (Tundra) since we need the bed for hauling stuff more often than people.

But yeah, I see a larger SUV in our future. GX, MDX, new Armada, Durango... Didn't think I'd be considering these, but lately I've really warmed up to larger vehicles...

All that said, I saw your generation GX take a corner in a parking lot not long ago and then slosh back-n-forth with bodyroll for ~5 seconds... I know corners aren't the intended purpose, but still... :p
We happened to have owned both (a newer GX460 and now our GX470), and I have to say the old 4.7 was the superior motor, as far as actually being a motor. The 4.6 has better fuel economy and that's about its only strong suit. The 4.7 has noticeably more low-end grunt and torque, while the 4.6 you really have to rev-up to past 4k to feel the bit of extra HP. And the way they tuned it for fuel economy, it's always fighting you, even with Eco mode off. Your comment is pretty spot on about the body roll though. The newer GX460's have KDSS and that helps with body roll a lot. It was available on the Sport package GX470's, but as the OP mentioned, they are extremely rare. Really though, any longer-travel, off-road capable BOF SUV handles like this. It's not cross-over, car-like handling & ride by any means.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Great snag, OP!

I have considered one of these as a replacement for my C300. They're just fine as frog hair around here. None of the local Lexus dealers have any, and the closest one in a Carmax is in Florida. Hard to believe a 10 year old SUV can still command $20K, but it is worth every penny.
The dealer I bought it from mentioned that a lot of GXs (along with LX's and Land Cruisers) get shipped to Russia and Middle East. This explains why most GX reviews I found on youtube were in Russian :laugh:

Yup. Just be sure to put normal tyres on, unless you're planning on doing a LOT of off-roading.
My friend has a 4Runner with a set of BFG All terrain T/A tires. I don't know much about SUV tires, would you consider there as "normal"? They are pretty aggressive looking to me, and the ride didn't seem to be sacrificed or be noticeably loud from what I recall.

As for off-roading, I wouldn't mind going on some trails in the future. Always wanted to try it. Might as well put the GX to use :thumbup:

Great pick up OP! Me and my wife love our '05, and still going strong even with 130k miles. It looks like you found a peach that was well taken care of.

One minor note - The VVT-i motor was available starting in '05, and they have a stronger tune in the Lexus version than the Toyota version that can take advantage of 91/93 octane.

Also, if you want, you can install a module that gives you Android functionality with the built-in Nav screen as well bluetooth streaming.

http://gromaudio.com/store/vline/lexus_2004-2006_grom_vline_infotainment_system.html
Do you put premium fuel in yours? It seems like most people in the Lexus forum use regular, even though the owners manual states to use Premium only.

And thanks for sharing the info on the Android Integration module! This is why I love TCL :wave: Strongly considering getting one now, going to do some more research on it :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts