VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

Registered
Do you put premium fuel in yours? It seems like most people in the Lexus forum use regular, even though the owners manual states to use Premium only.
I do, knock sensors fail.

Registered
Rear air can be finicky.
Mine finally failed. Given the age and mileage I thought if I were to keep the air set up that everything would need to be replaced, not just the failed area (both springs and teh compressor). But considering the only time I've ever mucked with the height control was when the sucker wedged itself into a low garage after unloading a couple thousand pounds of cement bags, I figured I'd skip the cost and throw some coils on instead.

I went with Arnott Industries conversion (I'd already been made aware of their products when I was considering an x350), fairly cheap at about $250 through Rock Auto (for giggles I checked Toyota OEM for the springs and compressor, $3,400 lol).

I also changed out the dampers, went with dumb ones, because, again, I never ever changed the settings on the smart ones.

Truck rides great now, very buttoned up and smooth (I'm thinking this is mostly due to the OE dampers being so worn out that replacing them with pogo sticks would've been an improvement). So, happy here, no complaints 馃憤

Reactions: tip

Registered
Mine finally failed. Given the age and mileage I thought if I were to keep the air set up that everything would need to be replaced, not just the failed area (both springs and teh compressor). But considering the only time I've ever mucked with the height control was when the sucker wedged itself into a low garage after unloading a couple thousand pounds of cement bags, I figured I'd skip the cost and throw some coils on instead.

I went with Arnott Industries conversion (I'd already been made aware of their products when I was considering an x350), fairly cheap at about $250 through Rock Auto (for giggles I checked Toyota OEM for the springs and compressor, $3,400 lol).

I also changed out the dampers, went with dumb ones, because, again, I never ever changed the settings on the smart ones.

Truck rides great now, very buttoned up and smooth (I'm thinking this is mostly due to the OE dampers being so worn out that replacing them with pogo sticks would've been an improvement). So, happy here, no complaints 馃憤
What shocks and coils did you go with?

The air suspension on my '06 works fine, but I need all 4 shocks and at 148K, the front coils are probably done, too. I don't need a lift (but wouldn't mind leveling the stance a bit) and have KDSS anyways, so I'm basically looking for a stock-ish setup, but I'm not going to pay for OEM since the best price I can find on the rear shocks is still over $700 per side...

Registered
What shocks and coils did you go with?
I went bilstein 4600 in the back and a sachs in the front with an Arnott coil conversion for the rear. Just did a 12 hour drive today and the sucker is nice and smooth, I never messed wtih the height control or adaptive dampening so I won't miss those features.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts