VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
991.2 GTS
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

With much excitement I can share my purchase. I distinctly Remember reading this article (https://www.motortrend.com/news/porsche-911-turbo/) in high school, dreaming of the monstrously expensive (115,000) and monstrously fast brand new 996 turbo. I got to valet one in 2006 and couldnt believe I was in such a car. Joined TCL in 2006. Progressed through life, got my 69 Camaro 2 years ago and have enjoyed it, but its the most one dimensional car of all time. As life has advanced, I was in the position to get a new car. Some recent threads may demonstrate that I was interested in a F80 or a RS5 SB. The RS5 was great and I was surprised how little I liked the F80. Harsh, bloated, didnt seem fast. Glad I didnt buy it.

A group of internet doctors always respond with 'Well have you considered a 911' as the answer to just about any question. Well I did. I drove a 991.2 C2 S, and it ruined every car for me since. I've had a Autotrader search for GTS' since 2017, just more as dreaming. But after a discussion with the wife to downgrade my daily (now in a 2012 E350 4matic - a comfy couch) that I could get a no compromise car. I searched Autotrader, cars . com, tempest, ebay, rennlist and PCA etc, sometimes multiple times a day. And my persistence paid off on August 29 at 6 am a guy who was selling his GTS responded to a WTB thread I made on Rennlist. The car was perfect. We had a deal by 930 am.

Backstory on the GTS. To me its the perfect 911. Serious performance (conservatively rated 450 hp). Can get a RWD with the wide body. Its a 8.5/10 track car and just as good as a base model car in the daily categories. Comes with all the goodies and bigger turbos than the base/S, so should you take it to APR, 550+ HP with a 93 tune. Also, its RWD and only 3150 lbs. Ive had fast AWD cars, but I wanted the playfulness. I feel that a 4wd is just a baby turbo. And did I mention that its 400 lbs less than a turbo?

Production stats:

2017 - 235, 2018 - 445, 2019 - 257. So about 1000 total over 3 years. For comparison, there were 846 Turbo S made in 2017 and 2300 GT3s in 2018. Not super common. I had a few criteria - not white (2 other white cars), which is the most popular color, PDK, coupe. So I figured there were about 600 or so that fit those criteria, time to wait. In addition, I refused the base interior and wanted 18 way seats. Now we're getting picky.

THE CAR:
2017 GTS - GT Silver - boring, BUT a wise friend (named for a popular kitchen appliance) said 'its a right of passage to own a Silver porsche. But eventually you'll want a color'. I wanted carmine red but didnt find any for months in a good spec. Not worth compromising on major options. GT was my #2 choice and now I think it might be my #1.

Performance options:
PDK - I have another manual fun car. I wanted a PDK so my wife can drive it and because its an amazing trans
PDCC/Rear Axle steering - Dynamic chassis control - this is a magic system in the heavier Panamera and Cayenne but not mandatory in a 911. RAS was a must for me. Its amazing
Front Axle lift - it's not as low as a GT car, but still nice for driveways
PCCB - ceramic brakes. they're GORGEOUS. Unnecessary but have the panty drop factor.
Center lock wheels - once again, unnecessary, but gorgeous

Interior:
18 way seats - drove 650 miles on saturday. they make the car
GTS interior/full leather - everything is carbon fiber, deviated stitched leather or alcantara. makes the car feel expensive. Between the 18s and those two options, its almost $11k

Unnecessary Baller options:
Burmester sound ($5k) - I can vouch that listening to the my little pony soundtrack for my 4 year old sounded epic
Carbon sport mirrors ($1400) - look so great, help set off the 'bland' silver
Carbon sills, illuminated ($1200) - another nice touch
alcantara sun visors ($580) - yes, someone paid that much for visors

Overall the car stickered for $168. Which is insane for a 2wd coupe. Among the highest. The car had 8200 miles on it and since I bought it private, CPO transferred. I'm the 4th!! owner (everyone else got GT3s or GT4s)

In addition, it has a full Xpel ($8k) and K40 ($4k) hardwired. Two nice adds

Impressions:

scary fast - 110 (top of 3rd) comes up so fast its criminal. the brakes pull your eyes out of their sockets. handles so flat. 75mph cloverleafs easy
26 mpg on the drive home
comfy - in regular mode, it drives like a regular car
Sport/Sport+ are special

Negatives:

would like for the GTS badging on there, may add back
everyone tries to race you, every truck in West Virginia cuts you off
p zeros are worn, will need replaced this spring

Listing pics:

Home and in the sunlight:

Cousin in law's 997 S came to play yesterday

hnng

xpel

interior

option list

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Nice pick up!

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,002 Posts
Congrats man!! Such a great optioned car too. Too may times, you find nearly the perfect spec, but is missing some key options. This one seems to hit the nail on the head!!!

Enjoy it in good health, and maybe one of these days, youll make a trek up to Chicago so I can see it :)

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,630 Posts
Congrats fella. A bucket list item for so many car enthusiasts worldwide. Enjoy it in good health :beer:

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,600 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! IMO the GTS cars are a sweet spot in the line, has some nice enthusiast focused options but not overly done. Also as far as silver goes, I believe you have the most expensive and best lookin silver Porsche offers. IIRC that color was a several thousand dollar option a few years ago. At the time the cost was said to have come from a very complicated painting/QC process due to the additional metal flake in the paint....however looking on the Porsche website today it's now an $840 option meanwhile non-metallic colors like Miami Blue, Lava Orange, Chalk, and Carmine are now $3,270 so go figure. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
I always thought the GTS was the sweet spot for the 991. Had no idea how limited in quantity they are. Congrats on a great car.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Well done, sir!!!

I currently have my first Porsche (it's GT Silver Metallic, too).

One day I will get a color. One day . . .

Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well done sir. :beer:

I recently test drove a Carrera T and it was really quick. The GTS must feel like a supercar.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,222 Posts
Well done! That's a nice spec, too. Especially for a GTS which I think is just the right level of under-the-radar cool.

·
Registered
'14 Boxster S, '18 Mazda 3
7,274 Posts
So sweet! That original MSRP is eye-watering, but this car has the goods. Enjoy.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,389 Posts
Phenomenal buy OP!

Congrats to you, I'm sure it's an incredible feeling. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
I love it! I'm envious! I'd love to have one (almost) just like it!

A question though: The PCCB would give me pause. Full replacement brakes can be $30k for parts. Any thoughts on switching to regular iron/steel brakes?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts