VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Taurus X SEL

Got a good deal, car is pretty much loaded save for a sunroof and DVD entertainment system, and I had no desire for those options anyway. Has dual zone climate control, electrically adjustable pedals (a very nice feature for my petite wife), SYNC audio/phone system, leather, etc. etc. It is bank vault quiet (at least compared to our MPV) and is by far the most luxurious car I've ever owned. All I can say is while the looks are maybe a bit conservative, it offers a ton of space in a vehicle that drives much smaller than it's dimensions suggest. Such an underrated car, IMO, and too bad really.
For those that may wonder, I also tried the Flex, and let me tell you, the leather seats in the SEL I tried were positively heavenly- quite possibly the most comfortable automotive seats I've ever sat in. It is also huge inside and seemed extremely well executed in terms of materials and ergonomics. However, the Taurus X offered about 90% of the Flex in terms of features for about $3000 less, AND the Taurus is a couple inches narrower and fits better in my garage.

· Registered
6,112 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (BrianC)

Please tell me you were blind folded and forced to buy this car, and that your post only sounds like you actually wanted to buy that car because your trying to make yourself feel better about purchasing such a hideous piece of poo?

Modified by VWn00b at 10:23 PM 8-4-2008

· Registered
18,097 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (VWn00b)

Quote, originally posted by VWn00b »
Please tell me you were blind folded and forced to buy this car, and that your post only sounds like you actually wanted to buy that car because your trying to make yourself feel better about purchasing such a hideous piece of poo?

go drive one, and stroke the dash...

· Registered
5,888 Posts

Only $3000 less? I'd expect it to be much cheaper because it's an outgoing model and the flex is actually pretty expensive.
For should've named it something other than Flex... what a retarded name.
Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. It's most certainly not my kind of car, but I'm also 25 and have no kids and want a Renault 5. I bet it drives more nicely than many give it credit for while being comfy. Does it have a sunroof?

· Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Twenty-three, huh? That's actually about two or three years older than I would have expected. Oh well, thanks for playing.
Yes, I actually wanted to buy this car...or else I wouldn't have bought it. It's a FAMILY CAR. It is not meant to impress you or anyone else. It is designed to move my family, friends, and stuff from point A to point B in comfort and relative safety.

· Banned
6,475 Posts

I agree that it's underrated, and a perfectly good family car. I don't see what's so hideous about it, it's handsome and unoffensive. Ford's Schick Shaver grille works well on it IMO. Congrats. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

But the Flex makes me drool. I'm in love with it, and I can't believe myself.

· Registered
6,112 Posts

That car is ugly, as well as every other trim and year that Ford has made the Taurus, with the exception of the SHO.
Congrats on the purchase though. Whatever keeps the wife happy. Does Ford still have the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty that doesn't cover anything?

· Registered
15,584 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (SickWrathTerror)

Congrats! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The Ford Taurus X has a truly impressive overall package...not surprised you liked the interior. Plus you can play racquetball in the cargo area. Huge!
Report back after your first vacation!

· Banned
38,788 Posts

That car is ugly, as well as every other trim and year that Ford has made the Taurus, with the exception of the SHO.
Congrats on the purchase though. Whatever keeps the wife happy. Does Ford still have the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty that doesn't cover anything?

· Registered
13,725 Posts

Was that really necessary? Please go find the rock you crawled out from under and leave this conversation for the adults.

To the OP, congrats! I think you made a good choice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif My co-worker has a Freestyle (Taurus X) and it's one of the most practical, well-packaged family vehicles I've been in. I'm 6' 2" and can fit in the 3rd row. It rides pretty smoothly as well. I hope it treats you well. How's the power? I haven't driven the new Taurus X w/ the 3.5l engine.

Modified by jwaters943 at 8:43 PM 8-4-2008

· Registered
99,876 Posts
I bet the 3.5 V6 really make a significant difference over the Freestyle. What other things were changed during the model name change?

I think we should vote to have a mod force your user name to be VWb00b. It is much more fitting of your posts.
Posting exaggerated vehicle criticisms in a "I just bought" thread= http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
2021 Audi e-tron, 2018 Audi Q5
314 Posts

Nice car. I've heard lots of good things. Am I the only one amazed that the Flex is only 2 inches longer than the Taurus X? The Taurus X looks to be about the size of a previous-generation MDX, but the Flex looks more Suburban-sized.

· Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The power is more than adequate IMO. As for other significant changes in addition to the engine, the transmission went from a CVT to a true six-speed auto. It seems like a fine combination - very smooth shifts and seems to be geared perfectly for the engines output. Other changes are probably more feature content oriented - availability of SYNC (which is very cool, btw), backup sensor, maybe a few other things.

· Banned
5,477 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (jms9)

I will counter the herniated rectum who posted in this thread by saying I love your new car. The Taurus X is so underrated (and in my opinion, VERY handsome) that it makes my "cool car" list.
I'd love to see one lowered on some BBS wheels.

· Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '19 A7 Prestige, 06 Saleen Mustang Coupe, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
21,802 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (Download_Complete)

The couple of occasions that I have had to rent the Freestyle I have always thought that it was a very solid package overall. If you have to fit a rear-facing child seat in the center row it works perfectly from a height perspective. Congrats!

· Registered
5,372 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (Download_Complete)

Quote, originally posted by Download_Complete »
The Taurus X is so underrated (and in my opinion, VERY handsome) that it makes my "cool car" list.

In no way is this on the cool car list. If a dodge caravan, a sub forester, and a ford 500 had intercourse this ugly excuse for a vehicle would be the bastard child. I mean It lacks any sort of personality whatsoever. 2 years from now it will just be a car trying to figure out if its a minivan or the family truckster, it will have cheezets in between the seat cushions, a large stain in the cargo compartment from some mishap at the store and scratches from the daily grind of going back and forth to walmart.

In noway shape or form should you post said object as a "car" as it is just a people mover. emo kids hang themselves over cars like this and 25 year old males getting ready to tie the knot with the girl they rekindled a relationship with at the bar fear these type of cars as they scream... Life is over. The hot chick and the sports car are never to be had kill the wife eat the dog and tie yourself to a cinderblock at the bottom of the pool.

this is all my personal opinion and just because mods have said car I should not be held for my thoughts on this car and the "life choices" I feel said car represents

Modified by jayseal22 at 12:08 AM 8-5-2008

· Registered
6,112 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (jayseal22)

And ya'll thought my post was bad...
Quote, originally posted by jayseal22 »
In noway shape or form should you post said object as a "car" as it is just a people mover. emo kids hang themselves over cars like this and 25 year old males getting ready to tie the knot with the girl they rekindled a relationship with at the bar fear these type of cars as they scream... Life is over. The hot chick and the sports car are never to be had kill the wife eat the dog and tie yourself to a cinderblock at the bottom of the pool.

· Banned
5,477 Posts
Re: Bought a new family hauler (jayseal22)

Quote, originally posted by jayseal22 »

In no way is this on the cool car list. If a dodge caravan, a sub forester, and a ford 500 had intercourse this ugly excuse for a vehicle would be the bastard child. I mean It lacks any sort of personality whatsoever. 2 years from now it will just be a car trying to figure out if its a minivan or the family truckster, it will have cheezets in between the seat cushions, a large stain in the cargo compartment from some mishap at the store and scratches from the daily grind of going back and forth to walmart.

this is all my personal opinion and just because mods have said car I should not be held for my thoughts on this car and the "life choices" I feel said car represents

Modified by jayseal22 at 12:08 AM 8-5-2008

What the hell is with you and that VWnoob idiot pissing on this guy's car purchase? What do you drive? It better be a Rolls based on your comments. Post pics or ESS TEE EFF YOU.....
Or just eff you....either works for me!

Modified by Download_Complete at 9:20 PM 8-4-2008

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.