VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Just bought this car yesterday, I don't think it has ran in months.
I plan on rebuilding this engine as a project anyways, but I don't have experience diagnosing these engines. I checked the codes with vag-com and it read 5 codes.

16712: Knock sensor 1 (g61) Signal too high sporadic
16717: Knock sensor 2 (g66) signal too high sporadic
16395: Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake), Retard setpoint not reached (over advanced) sporadic.
16795: Secondary air injection system, incorrect flow detected, sporadic

I think this obviously screams a timing issue, but my question is, do these codes being sporadic leave a chance that there isn't catastrophic engine damage? I am going to take off the timing cover this weekend and take a look at the belt and timing marks and see what is up. But just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have experienced the setpoint not reached code, my experience was with the cam chain tensioner giving up, then the cam sensor failing almost immediately after replacing said chain tensioner.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have experienced the setpoint not reached code, my experience was with the cam chain tensioner giving up, then the cam sensor failing almost immediately after replacing said chain tensioner.

Thank you !! I am new to using these forums, so I am trying my best to research. I appreciate your reply. I will look into the cam sensor and tensioner.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thank you !! I am new to using these forums, so I am trying my best to research. I appreciate your reply. I will look into the cam sensor and tensioner.
I forget specific resistances, but you can back probe the cam sensor between the signal and ground wires to check signal voltage if you can get it to run for a short period of time.

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
912 Posts
If the car runs at all, then you probably haven't jumped timing yet. It's probably just the VVT camshaft adjuster/tensioner not retarding the timing during warmup, which makes it sporadic.

Check if the connector for the VVT camshaft adjustment valve (N205) came unplugged (on the camshaft adjuster/tensioner, right side of the engine, closest to the airbox), and that there's voltage at the connector when the car is cold. If there's no voltage then there's an issue with your wiring harness. There's no relay between the ECM and N205 according to the Bentley repair manual.

The resistance for the VVT camshaft adjustment valve (N205) should be between 10 to 18 ohms.

If you really want to get technical, you can reflash your ECM with the VVT coded out which will disable N205. But that's a whole other ordeal.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts

I would check your belt and see how it looks and make sure you check your timing marks before cranking it anymore. If you jumped time, there is almost certainly engine damage. But as said, it could be something else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the car runs at all, then you probably haven't jumped timing yet. It's probably just the VVT camshaft adjuster/tensioner not retarding the timing during warmup, which makes it sporadic.

Check if the connector for the VVT camshaft adjustment valve (N205) came unplugged (on the camshaft adjuster/tensioner, right side of the engine, closest to the airbox), and that there's voltage at the connector when the car is cold. If there's no voltage then there's an issue with your wiring harness. There's no relay between the ECM and N205 according to the Bentley repair manual.

The resistance for the VVT camshaft adjustment valve (N205) should be between 10 to 18 ohms.

If you really want to get technical, you can reflash your ECM with the VVT coded out which will disable N205. But that's a whole other ordeal.
Hey dude thank you. You sound extremely knowledgeable about this I hope to be at that point one day. The car won’t start, but it will crank last i heard. I have not and will not crank it until I check the timing marks. I appreciate you. 😀

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I would check your belt and see how it looks and make sure you check your timing marks before cranking it anymore. If you jumped time, there is almost certainly engine damage. But as said, it could be something else.
Yes I plan to this weekend! Thank you😀hopefully it’s something else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.