VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeap. I bought it. It's blue (very blue - I've only owned gray scale cars before).
I feel like a GT car needs a skittles color.

First, the picture tax (sorry, wife pics not going to happen):

So, I had been on a waiting list to place an order since June 2019 and was probably going to wait some more until I could place an order. I wanted Miami Blue, 18-way (+ heated seats), PCCB, and gray stitching.
Well, as I have been regularly lurking the GT4 forums on Rennlist, I saw all the other USA arrivals start happening and I was getting more than impatient.

Then, lo and behold, one with about 95% of the spec I wanted popped up for sale (and available!) in Naples, FL. Within a couple hours of e-mailing I had my name on it, and now about 2 weeks later it's in my garage!
Compared to every other person still waiting during this COVID-19 ordeal and having tons of order delays, I really jumped the line :D

More picture tax:

Driving thoughts (I've driven maybe 10-15mi so far):
- The suspension is even more sorted and compliant than my 718 Cayman Base. It's not softer it's just.... better.
- The exhaust sounds plenty fine stock. I may want an aftermarket one in the future but I am more than happy as is.
- Ceramic Brakes are a little squeaky (knew this going in). They also stop like you ran into a brick wall
- MT feels great, reverse takes some getting used to (it's a "hard-left" into reverse). First MT Porsche. I like the "push-down" lockout of my Golf R previously more than this
- My front splitter already became briefly acquainted with a crub. It's fine, it's just now broken in

This is me starting a new era where I keep a car longer than 3 years. I fully intend to keep this "last of an era" (N/A, Manuel, #racecar) for as long as I can drive it.

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E
12,876 Posts
Congrats! I bought my 987.1 CS from someone who replaced it with a GT4 and he took me for a ride when I went to check my car out and they really are special in every way! :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Congrats, enjoy! I had a 981 GT4 that I ordered to spec. Great cars! Have a 991.1 TTS now. Can't go wrong with Porsche.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow! This is the best looking GT4 i've ever laid eyes on. Most of the Porsches around here are that 2019 gray color. Refreshing to see it in an actual vibrant color befitting of it. Love the yellow accents inside too.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Freakin awesome. I've been eyeing the GTS and devouring all the info I can get...and then this pops up.

I know its weird but I'm between 718 GTS/GT4/991.2 GTS as my attainable porsche selection

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Freakin awesome. I've been eyeing the GTS and devouring all the info I can get...and then this pops up.

I know its weird but I'm between 718 GTS/GT4/991.2 GTS as my attainable porsche selection
I've driven all of those... depends what you're after... if you want driving enjoyment, the Cayman is better than a 911, but it'll never be a 911, if that makes sense, so if you want a 911, get one. The Carrera 991.2 T is great bang for the buck and there are some nice builds in the used market. I kick myself for not ordering one at a hefty discount, but such is life.

Between the GTS and GT4, I would say, how are you going to use it. If it's a spirited weekend drive and auto cross and track days, GT4 is the way to go. It's not a bad car around town, but it's got a "loud" look and if you've got buckets it can get a little tiresome for around town use. I think the GT4 makes less sense as you move away from those uses. The GTS is pretty much every bit as fast as a 981 GT4, but a bit more usable. I know people crap on the 2.5L, but it's a beast, even in 718 S form, never mind GTS, also opens up PDK if that's your thing. The 6 speed is great in the Cayman and GT4, but the gearing is quite long (at least in the gt4), I know it has a lot of torque and blah blah blah but there's something exicint about blasting through gears, whether it's in an ND Miata, a Ferrari 360 or even my Turbo S and the GT4 does fall a little short there, probably it's only fault.

Either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
35,402 Posts
Sure is a nice blue. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I fully intend to keep this "last of an era" (N/A, Manuel, #racecar) for as long as I can drive it.
If I hit the lottery tomorrow, a GT4 would be first on my list. Basically the ultimate expression of Cayman and probably a last hurrah for the genre. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
My goodness that is a spec. What a build.

Side note, how do you sleep at night knowing that thing sits outside in an apartment complex in northern Ohio?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts