VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting really antsy and need another $1000 to get my 944 back from the new clutch and motor mounts. I was almost contemplating selling it and buying an E36 325i too...but I think I'm just gonna keep it since nearly everything minus the struts have been replaced. Motivate me and make me salivate at some nice 944's please.
I appologize to anyone who hates these threads...but I haven't seen any 944's in The Car Lounge in awhile....

· Registered
5,198 Posts
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

Okay, how about this letter just published in Sports Car Market. I think it is bashing the 944, but I don't exactly see the guy's point:
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/youwrite.php
Quote »

944 – Not Affordable, Maybe Not Classic
Dear SCM: This is in reference to David Slama’s Affordable Classic article, featuring the Porsche 944, that appeared in the October, 2003 issue on page 21.

In 1996 I wrote an article for a southern California chapter of the Porsche Club of America about 944s. At that writing I called the 944 the bargain sports car of all time. However, because I’ve always felt that its in-line four-cylinder would have made a better boat anchor than a powerplant, my comments were always accompanied with a caveat.
Simply put, a 944 cannot be maintained in your back yard. The 944 will not reward you with scintillating performance if you change its oil, tie up its exhaust system with a coat hangar, or stick bubble gum on a leaky oil seal. 944s are mechanic dependent to the ridiculous.
The 944’s engine is an “interference” unit, which means if the camshaft stops turning while the engine is running, the pistons and valves will collide. The resultant repair requires cylinder head removal. The timing belt is responsible for keeping the cam and water pump turning. That belt, experience has shown, must be replaced every 30k miles, or five years, whichever comes first. It also must be adjusted 2,500 miles after replacement, and at its first 15K mile service interval. The tool used for belt adjustment costs $500. Granted, ’87-’91 models use a spring-loaded timing belt tensioner, but even then one would be foolish to gamble on the belt reaching 45k miles.
Okay, what about that water pump? Well, that little guy got real comfortable cruising along for 30k miles, with its drive belt (timing belt) set at spec. Replacement of that belt causes pump trauma, because an unbelievably tight (pre-stretch) setting is used at installation. Often that super-tight belt places so much lateral pressure against the water pump pulley it kills the pump. I’ve seen this happen in only two days, to a pump that turned smoothly and had no trace of coolant seepage when the belt was replaced.

Cool. Take the whole mess apart again, and replace the water pump. Hopefully the pump pulley didn’t seize, causing the belt to break, or loosen the belt sufficiently to allow the cam to jump time. NOTE: The water pump must be replaced with the timing belt (at an average $1,000 parts and labor for both).
In addition to the timing belt nonsense, add the cost of oil leak repairs at the front of the engine (the crank pulley and both balance shafts are plagued with periodic leaks from seals and O-rings), and a 944 can surge very close to $2,000 in maintenance every 30K miles. By the way, those balance shafts are almost always mis-timed, making the little four-cylinder engine feel like an anemic cement mixer, aka 924.
Another problem area is the oil cooler housing. What a bizarre arrangement. Porsche stuck an aluminum housing on the right side of the engine block and put an oil-cooler inside it, allowing engine coolant to circulate around it. It can leak internally, allowing coolant and oil to mix, damaging the connecting rod bearings before you see the telltale traces of oil in the car’s coolant reservoir.
Clutch replacement is a major, and expensive, project, eight hours labor plus about $900 in parts on non-Turbo models, twelve hours labor plus parts on ’86 Turbos and ten hours labor plus parts on ’87-’89 Turbos (Turbo parts are approximately $1,000). Motor mounts, also expensive ($600 for the pair including labor), are in at least the fourth redesign, and the oil leaks we’ve discussed rot out rubber sway bar bushings, steering rack boots and other stuff.
The above-mentioned issues do more than scratch the surface, but they don’t tell the whole 944 story; there’s more. My response to Mr. Slama’s article is this: If Porsche had never built the 911, no one today would regard that company as a builder of remarkable cars. The 944 could never have gained the lofty perch occupied by the 911, the world standard by which all sports cars are judged. Without the 911, and its illustrious race history, Porsche may not have even survived the hilarious 924 era.
Granted, the 944 has a place on Porsche’s family tree, but in my opinion no 944 model has earned a place, 911 or no 911, on the perch reserved for remarkable cars; i.e., the R, the RS, the 934, the 935 and all their beloved little brothers, 38 years of lovable, drivable, reliable street-version sixes.
—Peter M. Zimmerman, is the founder of Red Line Service and hands-on owner of that Porsche-only Santa Monica, CA repair shop for 25 years and the author of The Used 911 Story.

Modified by Jordan 191 at 1:30 PM 1-8-2004

· Banned
32,048 Posts
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (Jordan 191)

This is the same info I try to give to others contemplating buying a used 944 or 944T.
Having been a Porsche Tech, I know 1st ahnd just how little the home mechanic can fix on these cars.
BTW - the 928 (all versions) are the same...

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (Jordan 191)

Hmmm..well considering I have a nearly 20 year old car with 90K on it...and all maintenance covered including AC. rebuild... I don't care. All I have to do is take one look at my car and it makes me smile...even though it's underpowered and a bit sloppy on corners for now. Plus the compliments from nearly everyone is nice too...

People also think I'm crazy for dumping $$$ into Rabbit Restorations...

· Registered
35,288 Posts

simply put... if you like feeling like you are so connected to the road that you are dragging your fingertips along it slowly.. the 944 is for you.
if you like feeling the ULTIMATE balance on the road, and the feeling that you are driving a car that won't swap ends on you.. the 944 is for you.
the car is not a drag racer, it's a SUSPENSION machine. in other words once you beef up the suspension, you have a car that will feel like it's being held to the ground by the hand of God.
this is a stretch:
"Granted, the 944 has a place on Porsche’s family tree, but in my opinion no 944 model has earned a place, 911 or no 911, on the perch reserved for remarkable cars; i.e., the R, the RS, the 934, the 935 and all their beloved little brothers, 38 years of lovable, drivable, reliable street-version sixes."
on the same token, the R, RS, 934, and 935 are $100,000-$500,000 vehicles. how can you compare a $8k street car to a $350,000 race car. sure there Peter Zimmerman. let's next compare an old 911SC to the 944GTP

edit: what Mr Zimmerman also fails to acknowledge is the tremendos cost of maintaining the 911s that he holds on such a lofty perch. want to quote me on the cost of doing the 4 spark plugs in the 944, versus the 6 in that awesome 911 turbo? or what about the timing chains, chain tensioners, and that awesome leaking cylinder head in the 964? a rear-engined car designed AFTER the 944? nothing beats the super-cool exploding airbox on the 911 either?

obin

Modified by Obin Robinson at 3:07 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (lsinlv)

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »
This is the same info I try to give to others contemplating buying a used 944 or 944T.
Having been a Porsche Tech, I know 1st ahnd just how little the home mechanic can fix on these cars.

in other words... clutch and timing belt... have someone ELSE do it
. if you have a lift and that stupid $400 timing belt tool, then you're ahead of the game.
basic maintenance is easy though. i'd rather spend 6 hours under the hood of the 944 than 30 minutes dealing with that P.I.T.A. Scirocco 16V motor. few things ever created by mankind are more torturous than dealing with that asinine airbox or back-up switch in the scirocco.
obin

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is mine... 86 944 NA. Has centercaps now and is P-shopped lowered. Plans are a header replacement for my cracked manifold, new 02 sensor, Rear KYB's, Front Bilsteins, MO3O bars, and a shortshifter maybe. Everything else is done...too much done too list I guess. Those are 17" Replicas BTW.

· Registered
4,656 Posts
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (steez)

Quote, originally posted by steez »

hahahahah she has just legs/thighs and no ass at all. thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I tried, she looks straight off the set of a Van Halen music video i couldn't help it

I see her and think "I'm hot for teacher"

Modified by MoochsMalibu at 1:13 AM 1-9-2004

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Bout time for another 944 thread please?? (The_Hamster)

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
what IS the $500 timing belt adjusting tool? anybody have a picture of what we are talking about here?

http://www.weissach.net/P9201.html
you can find them all the time for $400 or so... or you can borrow them for free from a local PCA person that has one
obin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.