VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Forge BOV installed that I bought from one of the member on the site.
Its been 24hrs and no problems yet, as for performance gains I can't say there is any... and I am kinda dissapointed to lose some of the turbo whistle.. but the psshh does sound kinda cool.. but also gets annoying. It was a great buy so I thought Id be a guinea pig for all the people who have been considering one.

Here is my question:

I know that they are known to cause CEL's, I think due to the fact that the computer thinks that there should be air dumped back in the air intake but instead its being released into the air.
When this CEL comes on, is this really a problem!? or just the computer noticing that there is no air being dumped back in..
is it a harmfull consquence? or just the annoying matter of having to go get the light reset?
Thanks in advance for everyones response!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (The Maytag Man)

I had a HKS BOV... when I was at track race... the problems begun to come out, pressure drops at 3rd, 4th... and at corner I try 50% throttle... and I boost keeps coming out of the valve...

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (03VDUB)

Quote, originally posted by 03VDUB »
in same cases you will run lean

backwards...
rich.
overly rich... its not really because it vents to atmosphere, but at idle its wide open... so its like a super huge vacuum leak.
the hks valve is closed at idle... so it doesnt leak.
and no the cel isnt the biggest issue in the world...

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (1.8T3t04e)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8T3t04e »

backwards...
rich.
overly rich... its not really because it vents to atmosphere, but at idle its wide open... so its like a super huge vacuum leak.
the hks valve is closed at idle... so it doesnt leak.
and no the cel isnt the biggest issue in the world...

Thats what i meant, rich!!!

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (The Maytag Man)

I'm just still not sure why people install these....AT BEST you're not going to have any problems and you won't see any performance gains. At worst, you'll have power problems, CEL's, etc. Why install something that can possibly decrease the performance of your car?
Why not just go for a DV? I realize that there's the whole "sound" thing, but just get an intake with the DV. You'll see performance gains as well as a better sound.
Not ragging on you specifically, I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (BrandonC)

Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »
I'm just still not sure why people install these....AT BEST you're not going to have any problems and you won't see any performance gains. At worst, you'll have power problems, CEL's, etc. Why install something that can possibly decrease the performance of your car?
Why not just go for a DV? I realize that there's the whole "sound" thing, but just get an intake with the DV. You'll see performance gains as well as a better sound.

agree, first week i had my car some kid with an rsx told me to get a bov. i look at him like
and said "umm no".

ill stick with the $30 TT dv that functions with my car as its meant to.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts

See im not sure if my DV is bad right now (its the stock bosch).. but I do get a slight fluttter sound and some surging. When the surging happens though I hear a flutter coming from under the hood as if the DV is not opening and closing properly.. maybe getting stuck. I just got my GHL CAI today and will be installing it this weekend. I am hoping that may clear some of the issues I am having there.. but with all the bad reports from people using BOVs.. I think I am just going to upgrade my DV with the Forge 007 DV. Since my car is a daily driver I cant risk having the car throw CELs all the time. The BOV sound is nice, but it just doesnt seem to be worth the aggravation at all.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (Johnny Blaze)

You will be more than happy with the sound of a Forge an an intake. I've never had a problem with my Forge DV.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »

i agree to an extent...
i couldnt get by running a dv...
ive tried... for some reason or another it didnt work...
wouldnt hold the boost i needed it to...
forge 007.
im a fan of keeping a dv, and if someone thinks they are going to gain from a bov then ... well... i dont even know lol

i guess they are alittle miss informed. no biggy tho.
wont see power gains...
however, running a dv with the type of setup i was running, and then switching to a bov, some power was restored thanks to the hks valve holding firm.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: BOV Question... Just got one.. (1.8T3t04e)

Yes, your car is a special case. When people who know what they're doing turn to a BOV, there's usually a good reason.
When someone with a chip and an exhaust gets a BOV "cuz it's kool", that's when I have an issue.

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Re: (The Maytag Man)

Quote, originally posted by The Maytag Man »
Like I said, I got it it was used at a great deal so I figured Id try it out.
I still plan on going with an aftermarket DV, I just thought for the price it woudl be fun to try out.

dood its your car... do what you want... if you want a bov and you like the sound (tho you said it gets rather annoying some times) then keep it... its going to work as good as any aftermarket DV.
a boost relief valve is a boost relief valve in my eyes, bov dv whatever.
thats like saying "well the 1.8t comes with a kkk warner turbo, so only a kkk warner turbo should be used, or the 1.8t will perform at its best with a borge warner turbo."
i guess ill ditch innovative then eh?
not!

Modified by 1.8T3t04e at 3:23 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (1.8T3t04e)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8T3t04e »

dood its your car... do what you want... if you want a bov and you like the sound (tho you said it gets rather annoying some times) then keep it... its going to work as good as any aftermarket DV.
a boost relief valve is a boost relief valve in my eyes, bov dv whatever.
thats like saying "well the 1.8t comes with a kkk warner turbo, so only a kkk warner turbo should be used, or the 1.8t will perform at its best with a borge warner turbo."
i guess ill ditch innovative then eh?
not!

Modified by 1.8T3t04e at 3:23 PM 5-20-2004

Good Point! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts