VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**UPDATE: My BBS VZ wheels in 16x7.5 only need a 10mm spacer, which is actually pretty good!**
So...since it's so hard to find good information about this and it can be frustrating getting nice wheels and finding out you'd need 20+mm spacers to make it work, let me start by sharing MY findings.
First, it's good to understand offsets and such. Arbitrarily, let's work with my particular wheels. I have BBS 16x7.5 VZ wheels with ET38 offset. My tires are 225s. Doing the math, I get the following difference between edge of my tire and fender edge:
225 / 2 = 112.5 (mm from center of wheel)
112.5 - 38 = 74.5 (mm from wheel mating surface)
71 - 74.5 = -3.5 (mm from fender edge)
This indicates I currently protrude 3.5mm, which is fairly accurate. I don't have any plans to "lower" my car, so this has been a complete non-issue, especially with 16" wheels.
So...I mated the ECS Tuning template to my wheel to see what it looks like (template for Stage 2 V. 1 kit). Bummer, it's about a 15mm overlap!!! Ack, what a shame. Using 15mm or 20mm spacers will really shove that tire out past the fender (~3/4"), which is really not ideal. So now I'm up **** creek with these lovely Cayman calipers I got for a steal on eBay from a Buick dismantler. Sigh... ** UPDATE: I actually only needed 10mm spacers and have 2mm clearance. 8mm were too small by a hair. The templates don't speak as honestly as the calipers!! **
Anyway, an ongoing thread indicating fitment success/overlap for various wheels would be fantastic. I couldn't find any in the search, and especially nothing that deals with the "lowly" Boxster brakes and my strong desire to keep the wheels down to 16s if possible. Please include size, sidewall and offset sizings as well as what you've measured as overlap (or "under"lap with wheels that work without spacing).
BBS VZ 16x7.5 with 225/50/16 tires = 9mm minimum spacers needed and my 225s actually fit with just a tiny bit of poke (not awkward looking).

Modified by BiodzlWag at 12:10 PM 9-30-2009

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Re: Boxster/Cayman Calipers and Wheel Fitment Thread (BiodzlWag)

I've got the Boxster set-up on my 20th & love it. I did end up using a 7mm spacer under my wheels, but then again; they're the 18" RC's off of a GLI (7.5" X 18", ET38). Hell, I need at least 5mm to clear the PSS9's, but I went with the 7's to bring the face of the wheel out to the edge of the fender.
Details on my wheels are the same as yours;
225 / 2 = 112.5 (mm from center of wheel)
112.5 - 38 = 74.5 (mm from wheel mating surface)

Not sure of the fender numbers though. Concievably should be the same, but I haven't verified that part yet.
Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I should have added this as well, which is a list of wheels test-fitted in the MkIV/TT applications by BIRA, before they dissolved themselves.
------------
Tested and Acceptable:
* 2000 Audi TT factory 17" wheel (5x100 bolt pattern over the TT rotor)
Not Acceptable
* Kinesis K-58 rims 18" x 7.5" 32mm offset. They did not clear the calipers up front. Had to use a 8mm H&R spacer, in hindsight, I could have gotten away with a 5mm spacer.
* Audi BBS from a '01 GTI GLX VR6. With the 8mm spacer, the stock wheels just miss clearing the caliper, 10mm might clear it.
------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Wheels
Brand: BBS
Type: VZ
Size: 16" x 7.5"
Offset: 38mm
Spacer Needed?: 10mm (8mm scraped paint off the caliper)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts