VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my brake pads did NOT come with the anti-rattle clips, and the old ones were not there, I went down to the friendly FLAPS and this is what I ended up with. $9.97 and you also get the two rubber boot deals that go on the calipers as well.

Here is what things should look like without the clips. There is a lot of slop in them thar calipers. Mine clunked when ever I changed direction (forward/backwards) from the pads shifting so much.

The anti-rattle clips go on like this with the big tab facing the middle of the caliper. The hook in back of the tab goes under the pad holder.

Start by feeding the tab and hook inside the caliper and carrier, then bend the inside side up and over to in between the pad and carrier like so. The clips are tough and can take the abuse no problem.

Take a screwdriver and pry the other side up and over the pad tang and between the tang and carrier.

VOILA!!!

The bottom is just the same procedure turned 180 degrees. The carrier and caliper should now be a pretty solid unit when done. The finished product:

Good luck!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-dasdachshund

Reactions: slvdr.xe

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Brake Anti-Rattle clip how to. (dasdachshund)

I hear that clunking in mine too whenever I'm in reverse. Usually when I'm backing up and I have the steering wheel turned to the right. Sounds like the CV Joint I think it's called? The boot thing near the wheel, but as you know I just had it in the shop and they didn't say anything about replacing those. I'm taking it to the shop in the morning so I'll ask about that and if the clips will help mine.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Re: Brake Anti-Rattle clip how to. (wannabemechanic)

Quote, originally posted by wannabemechanic »
I hear that clunking in mine too whenever I'm in reverse. Usually when I'm backing up and I have the steering wheel turned to the right. Sounds like the CV Joint I think it's called? The boot thing near the wheel, but as you know I just had it in the shop and they didn't say anything about replacing those. I'm taking it to the shop in the morning so I'll ask about that and if the clips will help mine.

I knew I needed to replace mine because anytime I'd hit the slightest bump in the road I'd hear the brakes clanging. New clips fixed it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Brake Anti-Rattle clip how to. (Mattdub)

Quote, originally posted by Mattdub »
What about the rubber boots? Where do those go? Thanks.

I thought this was an "Anti-rattle clip" thread?

It is.....but, if you look real close in the last pic with everything installed, there is a bolt sticking out one boot on the left side of the caliper, and the other is on top, just to the left of the bleed nipple.
-dasdachshund

·
Registered
21,826 Posts
This post was very helpful when I was replacing my brake pads today; I only wish I bothered to search the 'vortex when I was struggling (and ultimately gave up) with these anti-rattle clips a few years ago. :beer:

Ohhhhhhhh Atomic Rotors... how Radioactive :)

Not only Anti-rattle clips, but the Red Anti-squeal goo too.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Nice DIY but it looks like you have the bottom on the top and visa versa.
I do believe the tab is offset so it'll line up with the disc otherwise it'll get in the way of the pads when they wear down.

Just responded to a 5 year old tread :banghead::banghead:
I feel noobish.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,685 Posts
well since we are here

it seems solid rotor & pads tended to use these spring clips

or it was a westy thing, im not sure

the pads specifically are notched to hold the spring

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well since we are here

it seems solid rotor & pads tended to use these spring clips

or it was a westy thing, im not sure

the pads specifically are notched to hold the spring

Just wanted to say thank you for this old photo. I was struggling with the brake clips today and I did a forum search and found this beautiful photo!

You rock!

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,685 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for this old photo. I was struggling with the brake clips today and I did a forum search and found this beautiful photo!

You rock!
that is actually a bad photo. its misleading because the end of the clip is in the wrong position
it is oriented correctly for the lower clip

the upper clip goes exactly the same way mirrored (rounded facing inward)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Source for anti rattle clips?

Hi everyone,

Sorry to revive this thread from the archives, I do see there has been some recent activity on it so hopefully someone will be able to help me out. My 07 GTI has one terrible rattle coming from the brakes and I'm sure this is the fix for it, but I can't seem to source these clips anywhere. Everywhere I ask say they can get the regular springs that attach the calliper and carrier, but these seem a little difficult to find.

Let me know if anyone has a website or an idea on where to get some. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Call around to the local auto repair shop that works with import cars [or European cars]. See if they get their parts from Worldpac. If they do, ask them if they can order them. They have them in stock at my local warehouse in the Seattle area.

13477, Brake Hardware Kit. They list for almost $20 but they may sell them cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.