VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. So I was working on replacing my coolant hose connector and when I put my hands back near the firewall I noticed this hose cracked and came apart. From the firewall.

My brake pads are heavy and I have loppy idle now.

After some searching it seems to be this part correct?

Where does it plug into? I'm at a loss where it broke off as I can feel or see where itbisbsuppose to plug into. (I'm holding hr broken hose with orange towel.)
Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Is this the same part as my photo?
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply TB, Im like looking for the other endof the hose and I think its behind the engine. Im reading on the forum that I may have to remove my battery to see it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Auto part Gas

christ, Im like snapping off fitting and hoses left and right just checking to see where my leaks are..Looks like ill be replacing all these hoses.

Is the blue an airpump? I hear hissing from this.
The red is where water and coolant seems to be dripping down to,
What is the yellow pipe connected to? that box with heatsink like features that has inlet and outlet, what is that?

Thanks everyone, Im driving my other car for now, my a3 will be down for some time from just sticking my arms to checks hoses,
lately with alot of part shortages especially euro cars, im hoping to get her back up very soon.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is. They sell rebuild kits on Amazon.

RKX LIFETIME 2.0T Vacuum Pump Re-seal Rebuild Kit compatible with VW Audi 2.0 T MKv B6 B7 gasket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGJD68K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_91AV4TM7HJ9JG555Y425?psc=1

Probably cheaper options available.

That same plastic nipple broke when I touched that hose as well. I believe someone sells an aluminum version but chances are that would be overkill.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

cool thank you, I just ordered some hoses and stuff from FCP and realvolkwagonparts. c o m
arrives in about a week with extra priority shipping. And ordered the re-seal kit because might as well.

Im hoping replacing every hose attached to that broken plastic pipe will fix the leak but I think Im still chasing after coolant loss somewhere there,
and it seems to be def on the driver side of the engine as I see it puddling.

I can make a 30 mile drive without hitting coolant warning light.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im looking at some diagrams but it seems like the yellow cricled hose that I thought was a leaking coolant seems to be somewhat related to transmission.

Human body Rectangle Font Line Automotive design

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
That is the heat exchanger for the DSG transmission, and coolant goes in and out of the nipples on top. Transmission oil enters from the bottom where it bolts to the transmission.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the heat exchanger for the DSG transmission, and coolant goes in and out of the nipples on top. Transmission oil enters from the bottom where it bolts to the transmission.
sweetthank you npace, I was sure the DSG filter is underneath the battery, so this yellow circle CANT be the source of my leak right?

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle Electrical wiring Gas

I appreciate everyones help, ive gotten a long list of parts from FCP, VWOEM, pelican parts, amazon, and x-fingers it all arrives before end of sept
My only setback is once I get all these things replaced, I am back at square one looking for this coolant leak. I am hoping its one of the hoses connected to
that t pipe

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't have a dsg on my fsi so my knowledge of leaks in that area would be limited. Wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the battery and use a black light to look for your leak if that's the location you suspect it to be in, or rent a pressure tester.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Are you asking if that's the location of the coolant leak, or the vacuum leak? The vacuum hose goes from the vacuum pump (circled in blue) to the brake booster. What you have circled in yellow certainly could be the source of a coolant leak, but I can in no way tell from a pic. The DSG filter is item 3 in the diagram above, and that is for transmission fluid, not coolant. The hoses that come off the DSG cooler have coolant. One is a t, and it connects to the radiator and the water pump. The other t connects to the cylinder head just above the block and below the vacuum pump, and then to the heater core. That coolant leak is either coming from one of those hoses I mentioned, or the heat exchanger itself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, It seems like the coolant leak is coming from the yellow circled.

this seems to be the part.

While looking for a coolant leak, I broke the brake booster from firewall, AND the top nipple of the T coolant pipe.
Ill double check if this piece is holding coolant that goes to the trans oil cooler.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay ive also sort of got a clue wear to plug in that brake booster hose via humble mechanic.

Hopefully while doing the vacuum pump seals, coolant hoses and t pipe, and replacing the brake booster line, I dont snap off any other pieces to just end up replacing even more brittle pieces!
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Fack!! So I'm hf way done replacing hoses finish getting the brake booster hose in. I had to stick my left hand behind the engine and hug it basically to remove and fit the brake booster hose.

But the coolant hose fitting breaks the FACK off the engine piece...now a gapping hole there!!

Damn it. Looks like it went from where's the leak, to going to replace this hose to, replacing fitting , to replacing brake booster to now replacing a large piece attached to the engine.

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Nut
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part
Automotive tire Tread Water Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What the hell did I break guys below the Air pump?

I had gloves on and luckily I got to just throw my phone double click power button and say "cheese" to produce some of these photos :)
At this rate, Im going to have to replace just more than brake booster line(replaced!!!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW the brake booster inlet/outlet nipple is behind this wire loom in red
again stick your left hand behind towards the firewall, and right hand with a flathead screw driver, and hug the engine
until both your hands meet at the location and work it loose.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Gas

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the airpump seals done, rubber ring gaskets were like $6.89 on ebay and my original coolant leak issue fixed. The transmission coolant pipe was like 60 bucks. Anyways It was easier to just remove the battery bracket.

My torx set doesn't go bigger than 12 so I have to go to the store to remove the flange.

Going to just order dct filter and fluid too and change as much transmission oil and fill that from above since its all apart

Excited to get the A3 back on the road!!!
Been driving the Z4 and its killing my back.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

Attachments

Reactions: LAXbros32

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The flange for the head broke off inside. But I got it out with its o ring. Just undid the wire looms clips and moved it out of the way to get to the hose clamps and bolts for the flange.

Man these clip clamps for the hoses sure are pain in the butt. Going to replace them all with different ones.

My 3/8 extension broke so I just pieced together one to get to the 3 torx bolts. The hardest part was separating the clamps with the hoses as they seemed fused.

Pretty much buttoned up waiting for transmission filter and transmission oil.

Haven't broken any other piece ....yet.

Automotive tire Auto part Rim Automotive fuel system Metal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.