VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Re: Brake Checking (Traveller)

I do know it's a great american past time. It can also be known as "Airbagging". I have done it "a time or two." Nowadays when someone tailgates me I find it necessary to wash my windshield. That doesn't get people as mad and they actually either back off or go around. What are they gonna get mad about, I needed my windshield clean..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Traveller »
Is "brake checking" an American phenomenon or does it exist everywhere?

It exists nowhere else in the world. It was on CNN last week.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: Brake Checking (fixmy59bug)

Quote, originally posted by fixmy59bug »
Nowadays when someone tailgates me I find it necessary to wash my windshield. That doesn't get people as mad and they actually either back off or go around.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: Re: (K2737)

if you ever want to scare the crap out of someone when brake checking them, do it at night.
Be sure to be in either the far left lane or preferably the middle lane with a few truckers around. If in the far left lane, make the cab of the semi even with you.
If in the middle lane, make sure to get the front of the trailers (be sure you have one on either side) even with your car about.
Once that has been done, speed up to that point and then "kind of" slam on the brakes. Preferably do the first idea because if they're stupid enough, they'll slam on the brakes and drive off into a ditch.
Almost did that one night on a packed freeway. I hate tailgaters.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Re: Brake Checking (jinro)

Quote, originally posted by jinro »
Keep right except to pass.

My girlfriend has been talking about getting this painted on the front of her car:

(For those of you that may not know, this flag is used in a race to tell slower race traffic to GET OUT OF THE WAY, LET THE FASTER CAR BEHIND YOU BY!)

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
Re:

I agree that people shouldn't hog the far or regular left lanes (when the right lanes are clear) but there's no good reason to speed up like a complete ass and ride someone's bumper.
Or to act like they're aiming for your front bumper from your rear bumper. Or even pulling any of this crap when I'm in the extreme right lane.
(no, I never did a 'brake check)

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Re: Re: (DohRado)

Quote, originally posted by DohRado »
**** brake checking. just chuck a grenade out the window.
If by "grenade" you mean a fast-food cup of Coke....done that

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Re: Brake Checking (fixmy59bug)

Quote, originally posted by fixmy59bug »
I do know it's a great american past time. It can also be known as "Airbagging". I have done it "a time or two." Nowadays when someone tailgates me I find it necessary to wash my windshield. That doesn't get people as mad and they actually either back off or go around. What are they gonna get mad about, I needed my windshield clean..

I do the windshield thing as well, especially when I have the Golf and need the rear window washed.

I can't stand being tailgated when there's clearly nowhere for the person behind me to go even if I move over. Their intent in that case is to tailgate about 6 cars in a row, one by one.
I've been tempted to toss a handful of change out the sunroof, but I think that's about the same as keying someone's car. I could never bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

Stupidity is universal - it's not just an American phenomenon and it is somewhat of a regional phenomenon. In highly populated areas, Brake Checking occurs more frequently but so does tailgating in heavy traffic. In rural areas, it happens less frequently although the propensity for a driver to travel well under the posted speed limit is greater.
I found myself being tailgated (more like drafted) the other day by two no-so-young men in a Ford Probe that was dolled up with tonnes of vinyl. Since I was already travelling a bit over the speed limit, I just stayed in the fast lane until I finished passing the 2 cars that I was overtaking and moved back to the right. No reason to brake check them b/c once they figured out that I wasn't going to jam on my brakes and move right just b/c they were going 90+ down the mountain and I was "only" going 70, they started to back off.
Brake checking does work though - I once brake checked a 2002 with awesome results. I hammered the brakes in my GTi and the 2002 ran right into the back of my car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I apparently scared the other driver b/c he refused to pass me or even get close to the rear of my car for the remainder of the RACE

·
Registered
2016 Golf Sportwagen
4,180 Posts
Re: Brake Checking (mgyip)

I was the only car, in the right lane, going 80mph on the freeway and being tailgated for no reason. They could just as easily pass me in the PASSING lane. So I just backed off the gas and coasted down to about 40 before they finally passed me. idiots.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.