VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2018 Golf Alltrack back from its 30K service, which included:

Brake pads: Check thickness and brake disc condition. Look for contact pattern and corrosion of brake discs (front and rear)
Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition front and rear. Look for contact pattern and corrosion of brake discs, and check brake fluid level subject to abrasion
Brake fluid and clutch unit: Change fluid (Every 3 years regardless of mileage and every 2 years after)

When I picked the car, all these items were on the bill (roughly $600 all in for the 30K full service).

About 2 weeks later (I didn't drive much Christmas week, and was out of town the following week), I got a BRAKE warning several times, so checked the fluid when I got home.

The reservoir was EMPTY, not just low. I added the proper brake fluid to bring it up to the maximum, and it's been fine since then, but my concern is what happened at or after the service to make the reservoir go empty? In my mind it's only 1 of 3 things:

1) It was already low, and triggered the EMPTY warning once the sensor recognized the low fluid condition (and that the dealer didn't check it when it was in for service)
2) It got low AFTER the dealer service, which means that there's a leak, or something else that triggered the sensor.

It's going in the shop tomorrow, but is there anything I should tell them to look for? I'm not all that keen on paying a diagnostic fee for something that should have been caught at the 30K service.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let's go with Occam's razor here:

They didn't fill the reservoir after they took out the old stuff. (at least they did that much at the dealership!)

·
Registered
381 Posts
By the manual, they are to do a pressure flush. That by nature makes the reservoir full at all times (unless the machine screwed up?).

Bleed nipple not tight perhaps?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Regardless of how they screwed up, They screwed up.
They should...
1. Explain what took place.
2. Go over it to your satisfaction.
3. Apologize for their Screwup.
4. Detail your car.
5. Apologize again
6. Send you on your way. No Charge.

A few words of wisdom from my neighbor, Jim.
Dont be difficult, wth just a litttle work you can be impossible.

fat biker

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I suggest that you get a Honda that has not had the airbag recall done. When you do bring it in, then if you have (let's say) a 2015 CRV with 24K on the clock, it'll need about $1500 in work for other items. Things like:

1. Coolant flush
2. Brake fluid flush
3. Transmission fluid flush
4. Rear diff flush
5. Serpentine belt
6. Rotation
7. Engine oil change (if it was done elsewhere other than the dealer)
8. Wiper blades
9. Air filter
10. Cabin Filter

I see this about 4-5 times per week with customers worried that their car is in need of tons of service. Same for Subaru. Who knew that cars needed so much service before 30K? I have seen VW's come in with a laundry list of items needed when the go in for a recall or just a simple state inspection. Most of the time for VW's, it's the "Oil is too brown". With that, really brown oil means you need to change it according to VW. I think it's time for an electric car as the fluid flushes will be reduced due to not as many fluids to flush. Gassers are just a maintenance nightmare today when you take them to the dealer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I suggest that you get a Honda that has not had the airbag recall done. When you do bring it in, then if you have (let's say) a 2015 CRV with 24K on the clock, it'll need about $1500 in work for other items. Things like:

1. Coolant flush
2. Brake fluid flush
3. Transmission fluid flush
4. Rear diff flush
5. Serpentine belt
6. Rotation
7. Engine oil change (if it was done elsewhere other than the dealer)
8. Wiper blades
9. Air filter
10. Cabin Filter

I see this about 4-5 times per week with customers worried that their car is in need of tons of service. Same for Subaru. Who knew that cars needed so much service before 30K? I have seen VW's come in with a laundry list of items needed when the go in for a recall or just a simple state inspection. Most of the time for VW's, it's the "Oil is too brown". With that, really brown oil means you need to change it according to VW. I think it's time for an electric car as the fluid flushes will be reduced due to not as many fluids to flush. Gassers are just a maintenance nightmare today when you take them to the dealer.
🤣😂👍😉

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Brake fluid doesn't care you have an EV and will absorb water. You still need to bleed the brakes on an EV. Gotta remember to tighten those bleeder screws and check the fluid level in the reservoir. If you're using mostly EV regen braking in road salty area, it would be a good idea to regularly check that those brake calipher sliders and pins aren't rusted seized from lack of use. And rotor surfaces aren't deeply rust pitted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts