VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I was in the process of replacing the rear pads on the EV, and noticed that the inner pad was worn pretty much through, and the piston was fairly extended. I removed the caliper, took off the pads, and attempted to press the piston back in, first with my hands, and then with a 6" C-clamp. Wouldn't go in with the fairly gentle persuasion it normally takes. Hmm - frozen?
So I place a piece of wood in the caliper, start the engine, and pump the brakes. Shut off engine, go around to the back, and the wood has fallen out (damnDamnDAMN!) and the piston is waaay extended. No matter what I try, I can't make the piston go back in its bore. Wiggle it every which way, try the (gentle) C-clamp again on alternate edges, no luck. Funny thing is, there's no brake fluid squirting out, so the seal must still be in the bore.
My question - am I hosed, and need a new caliper ass'y, or do any of you have an idea of how to persuade the piston back in? I have no yet disconnected any lines, so there may be other avenues, but before I mess anything else up, I'd appreciate some advice!
Thanks in advance for your wisdom,
Mike

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: Brake Job gone awry 2002 EV (rattus32)

Rear calipers need to be "twisted and pushed in." You need a special tool to make the job a lot easier.
Like this one from Harbour Freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/c...40732)

I am surprised that the seal did not fail - does the "screw in" feature also prevent the piston from completely busting the seal?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Brake Job gone awry 2002 EV (hubsch)

Thanks for the reply! - I have the "cube thing", but don't know what it's supposed to twist against... I don't see a depression or whatever against which the tool is supposed to work.
Should it be the piston face?
This is the one:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd3163.html
Wish I got it at that price!
Which pin pattern is the correct one?
Mike

Modified by rattus32 at 2:04 AM 8-27-2006

Modified by rattus32 at 2:05 AM 8-27-2006

·
Registered
17,435 Posts
Re: Brake Job gone awry 2002 EV (hubsch)

Quote, originally posted by hubsch »
Rear calipers need to be "twisted and pushed in." You need a special tool to make the job a lot easier.
Like this one from Harbour Freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/c...40732)

bingo! I used that...and auto zone loans them out so you don't even hafto buy one.
Don't know anyting about the cube thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: Brake Job gone awry 2002 EV (gti_matt)

The cube thing is a "general audi & vw" thing that I've seen on ebay. Each side of the cube has different nubs and the center fits a 1/4" socket wrench. When I was preparing to do my brakes, I looked into that and when compared to the set you can get from Autozone, i was like, "why make it harder than it needs to be?"
The brake tool has the advantage that it is well made, fits properly and requires minimum effort. The cube looks like a cheap improvation at best. But, if you have one, and use it successfully, don't take my opinion personally!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but I thank God every day that I don't live where there's an Autozone within 100 miles! ;-)
Your options become limited with the car on jacks...think I've got it figured out. Thanks for the input, I'll report back tomorrow.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts