VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you have done their own brake pad changes....is there anything I need to watch for out of the norm with doing a disc brake pad change? The OEMs finally have sad nite nite and so I'm gonna put on my new Mitex REDs. I was looking at the DIY and it doesn't look too difficult. Thanks In Advance.

· Registered
165 Posts
Re: brake pad change question.... (mr_e1974)

as long as you have the proper tool to depress the pistons after you have taken out the old pads its not really that hard. The vw piston need a special tool that twist the piston to reset them. You cannot use a c-clamp to depress the piston

· Registered
33,911 Posts

just the rears -- gotta have the correct tool for the job, since you need to push and turn at the same some. Any shops can rent you the tool for it (or just buy it -- in my case).
If you are due for a brake fluid flush, good time to do it also.

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: brake pad change question.... (jdgang)

Quote, originally posted by jdgang »
as long as you have the proper tool to depress the pistons after you have taken out the old pads its not really that hard. The vw piston need a special tool that twist the piston to reset them. You cannot use a c-clamp to depress the piston

Cann't I rent/borrow that tool from Autozone?

· Banned
32,048 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mr_e1974 »

Cann't I rent/borrow that tool from Autozone?

you can buy it for $20 from harbor freight....don't use the 2 man method mentioned above, as you can damage the piston....then you're screwed...
also, remember to OPEN the brake bleeder as you press the psiton back into the caliper......if you press the old/conminated brake fluid back into the ABS pump/assembly, you chance damaging it....

Good luck!

· Registered
9,999 Posts
Re: brake pad change question.... (jdgang)

Quote, originally posted by jdgang »

Uh, I beg to differ. A C-Clamp and a pair of vicegrips works perfectly. Just be carefuly of the rubber boots...

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Re: brake pad change question.... (lsinlv)

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »

also, remember to OPEN the brake bleeder as you press the psiton back into the caliper......if you press the old/conminated brake fluid back into the ABS pump/assembly, you chance damaging it....

I never did this while changing pads on any car....

Just open up the filler cap on the master cylinder so there's no pressure when you press in the piston.....

· Registered
3,387 Posts
Re: brake pad change question.... (bongoRA3)

Quote, originally posted by bongoRA3 »

Just open up the filler cap on the master cylinder so there's no pressure when you press in the piston.....

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Wrapping a rag around the top of the brake fluid reservoir (master cylinder, whatever) will help catch any brake fluid that backs up and tries to overflow. But, if it overflows alot, you're SOL. Brake fluid is not fun to clean up. Some people use a "turkey baster" to remove some fluid from the reservoir so it won't overflow whilst compressing the caliper pistons. I have not had to do this on my MKIV, I just remove the cap as stated above. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I never had to do that on my previous cars when changing brake pads...I mean I haven't added any fluid since I got the car so since I"m putting on pads like she had when she was new should't I be able to just put in the new ones???

· Registered
3,387 Posts

I never had to do that on my previous cars when changing brake pads...I mean I haven't added any fluid since I got the car so since I"m putting on pads like she had when she was new should't I be able to just put in the new ones???

You should be able to without any problems (I did when I changed my pads, see my post above). But it is probably a good idea to just watch the brake fluid reservoir just in case. You really don't want brake fluid everywhere (trust me on this one). So, it's easy enough, just take the cap off the reservoir, and visually check the fluid level each time you compress a caliper piston. So, if you see it is getting close to the top, you can drain some out. Again, you shouldn't have a problem, but a few extra minutes can potentially save you from a big mess. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: brake pad change question.... (cxg231)

Quote, originally posted by cxg231 »

You should be able to without any problems (I did when I changed my pads, see my post above). But it is probably a good idea to just watch the brake fluid reservoir just in case. You really don't want brake fluid everywhere (trust me on this one). So, it's easy enough, just take the cap off the reservoir, and visually check the fluid level each time you compress a caliper piston. So, if you see it is getting close to the top, you can drain some out. Again, you shouldn't have a problem, but a few extra minutes can potentially save you from a big mess. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Coolio...thanks for the advice...I think I'm gonna try to do it Friday morning....shouldn't take too long should it?

· Registered
3,387 Posts

Coolio...thanks for the advice...I think I'm gonna try to do it Friday morning....shouldn't take too long should it?

Well, that depends - if you are anything like me, you'll get halfway through and need to run to Sears for a tool

But if you have all the right tools, and a floor jack, you should be able to change the pads in about 2 or 3 hours (sounds high, but I think it always takes longer the first time you do something on the car). If you are changing the rotors too, tack on another hour or two.
Now that I have done it a few times, I can swap out the rear pads in about half an hour (same with the fronts) - not including the time to get the car up and the wheels off & on.
Conning a friend into helping (
is a good bribe) will cut that time down alot. Have fun

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: brake pad change question.... (cxg231)

Quote, originally posted by cxg231 »

Well, that depends - if you are anything like me, you'll get halfway through and need to run to Sears for a tool

But if you have all the right tools, and a floor jack, you should be able to change the pads in about 2 or 3 hours (sounds high, but I think it always takes longer the first time you do something on the car). If you are changing the rotors too, tack on another hour or two.
Now that I have done it a few times, I can swap out the rear pads in about half an hour (same with the fronts) - not including the time to get the car up and the wheels off & on.
Conning a friend into helping (
is a good bribe) will cut that time down alot. Have fun

Actually...the step dad... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif so we've got some experience changing brakes....just not on this GTI...

· Banned
32,048 Posts

FYI - I was an ASE certified/Porsche Factory trained tech...I'm NOT a fan of giving incorrect info...if you want to do the brakes CORRECTLY and per the Factory Manual, then you need to OPEN the bleeder when pushing the pistons back in....otherwise you chance getting contaminates into the ABS controller...
Don't listen to me, not my car, and could care less if you listen to me or not, I just wanted to put the CORRECT info out there...

· Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I'd have to disagreee on mintex being nice pads.....
Well they're close to oem and less dusty, but not an upgrade by no means.

Is that smell sarcasm or did somebody fart?

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Re: brake pad change question.... (lsinlv)

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »
FYI - I was an ASE certified/Porsche Factory trained tech...I'm NOT a fan of giving incorrect info...if you want to do the brakes CORRECTLY and per the Factory Manual, then you need to OPEN the bleeder when pushing the pistons back in....otherwise you chance getting contaminates into the ABS controller...

Not saying that your wrong...you are a certified prosche mechanic
....but I'm just sayin its not worth the hassle for someone going and opening up bleeder screws that might not be familiar with brake calibers that well. Im first to say Im not and rather not mess with that aunless I have to do a fluid change. Just opening up the tank and pushing the piston in a little to make room for the new pad is enough and is pretty bullet proof.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,342 Posts

I'd have to disagreee on mintex being nice pads.....
Well they're close to oem and less dusty, but not an upgrade by no means.

thats why i like them, less dust. i never said they were an upgrade....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.