VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 door 86 VW Golf, and I recently started having brake problems, I had the brakes checked all the way around the vehicle and pads were fine, the pedel would still have to be pumped to stop, but would go almost to the floor. I then bled the brake system, and the master cylinder, and it still has to be pumped, and is STILL going to the floor!!! I don't wanna die in a 4 door Golf!!!! PLEASE HEEEEEEEELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: brake problem on my 86 Golf (pdpablo211)

sounds like either a leak in the brake lines or a bad master cylinder. probably the master cylinder, though. they're not that hard at all to replace.

[Modified by LVMYGTI, 12:55 AM 2-4-2003]

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: brake problem on my 86 Golf (vandiesel)

not to belabor the obvious, but you used a fresh can of brake fluid to bleed, right? Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic, so an open container will go bad pretty fast. Assuming that, then yeah, leak, which suggests bad master cylinder.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: brake problem on my 86 Golf (pdpablo211)

Were the wheel cylinders checked?
Try clamping the flexi pipes, if the pedal still needs pumping then the mastercylinder is likely faulty.
Have you tried pressure bleeding them?

Hygroscopic means it absorbs moisture, the moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid resulting in brake fade, it also causes corrosion, it wont affect bleeding.

[Modified by Vdubs, 10:24 PM 2-4-2003]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.