VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend took her car into her VW dealership last Friday to have her brakes checked. She was having squealing noises late last week (on Wed. it started). She didn't drive the car at all on Friday other than to take it to the dealership. The dealership didn't have time to work on it till Monday morning (had to get a rental at $30 a day).
She checked the brake pads before she took the car in and noticed that there wasn't anything left on the drivers side rear. It was down to nothing. 30K and she doesn't drive fast at all. My immediate thought was that the dealership will take care of it, don't worry, if its uneven brake wear, they should be liable (the other side rear wheel has over 1/4 to 1/2" of wear left on both sides/pads).
She got a call from the VW rep., he told her that her rotor is shot ("toasted" as quoted by the VW rep.) and the bill is somewhere in the neighborhood of $400+ ?
VW has done all of her maintenance on her car and she is current with all her oil changes, checkups etc. and has the paperwork to prove it.
My question is. The car only has 30K on it and she does not drive it hard by any means. She also purchased the extended warranty when she bought the car (not exactly sure what that covers). If the calipers aren't applying even pressure on both sides, should that be her fault? Why would one wear down much quicker like that? And last, shouldn't VW be responsible for repairing this? If they both had even wear and both were shot, thats a different story, but one being so much more than the other, it just doesn't seem right.
She got the car back yesterday (Tues.) and they replaced both rear rotors and pads. The driver side rear rotor was shot on both sides and the pads had nothing left on them. The passenger rear side rotor was 100% fine. The pads had almost ½ “ left on them. But they went ahead and replaced both “standard procedure”. When she told me all this, I was extremely upset. They charged her $330 for this and she had absolutely nothing to do with it. They didn’t even inspect the system to find out what the problem was (to me this is a major safety issue as well). And no one at the dealership could give her a valid reason on why this happened.
Any opinions would be appreciated. I would like to see some comments from VW techs and service managers as well. This just does not seem right at all.
- Ray

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Brake system nightmare from Dealership (blackwolf1.8t)

I understand your frustration, but if you look around on here most people aren't getting more then 20K on their rear brakes, so 30k is pretty good. Pretty sure no warranty is going to cover brake pads and rotors since they are meant to wear out. Also, from what others have posted $330 for the rear end for pads and rotors isn't terrible for dealership pricing. There is an issue with uneven pad wear between front and rear, but dealers aren't doing anything about that if the car is over 12K.
However, your concerns about the uneven wear from left to right maybe something. I don't know enough about brakes to understand that one or offer any explanations.
Good Luck.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Re: Brake system nightmare from Dealership (avner)

I had a BMW, at 30k, both front and rear brake pads and rotors were pristine. I drove the car hard even went to a race track with it, did 40 laps.
Face it VW's are crap, lousy engineering.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

avner - If both pads on both sides of the rear wheel were gone or even if the other one was close to being gone, I would say that she would be liable for the repair. But the fact is, there is almost 1/2 " on both pads fromt the other side and the rotor is smooth as a babies bum.
She will be contacing VWOA to issue a complaint on this. I just want to get some feedback from you guys as well.
Thanks,
- Ray

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Brake system nightmare from Dealership (VWater)

VWater - Did you even read the whole post? I'm not sure what your reply has to do with what happened. But hey, thanks anyways.
- Ray

·
Registered
23,994 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Face it VW's are crap, lousy engineering.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
It's just a case of using soft poor quality pads on the rears....not an engineering issue per say.....put on good quality pads...and viola, problem solved and no more premature wear....Of course, this should have been done from the beginning but no such luck in this case....Face it...your assessment is off.

·
Registered
306 Posts

I agree with you...somehting doesn't seem rite. Might want to talk to some mechanics at other shops / dealers that may have some ideas as to why that would happen. This way you can at least have something to shoot back at the original dealer with. Good luck with VWOA.

·
Registered
723 Posts

blackwolf1.8t
(1) I'd be thankfull you got 30 K on them. My dad somewho got almost 75K on his camaro ( almost entirely highway miles ). I've never been able to get more than 20 K . What can I'm hard on my breaks and value my life enough not to complain about replacing them at 20 K. No offense but you guys should do the same.
(2 ) On the issue of the rotors. Yes they are to an extent a wear item and seldom covered under warrenty. If you want to get them covered under warrenty you need to do some homework. Under the right circumstances a dealer can be liable for them. Heres why and How to address it -
Not sure what they do or what is advertised as being done for service ( I drive a Honda ). If they advertise that when you bring it in for oil changes every 3,000 miles , and they do a " 24 Point Check " that probably includes the brake system. Lets say you have this done everytime and you now at 30,000 miles. If its NOT noted on the previous ones that your brakes are going but is suddenly noted on the 30,000 mile mark that your pads are totally done and have been for more than 3,000 miles and as a result have destroyed your rotors. If this is a case a dealer is then negligent and fully liable. Why ? because you have a legal document that indicates and proves negligence if they are telling you the damage has been going on for several thousand miles when previously this was not ducumented on the check up. A buddy of mine had this happen with his A4 ( dealer failed to note problems under warrenty but 500 miles after the warrenty expired they noticed multiple items in plain view that were clearly obvious ) This dealers poor work resulted in $4,000 of drive train work at the dealers expense, when had they noted the problem in advance it would have been around 1,000 to correct.
Good luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Brake system nightmare from Dealership (VB102)

VW102 - I appreciate your response and the "How to address it" portion. What I think you missed however is the following.
One set of pads is 100% gone. Nothing, nada. The result from this is a ruined rotor. The other side has almost 1/2" still left on both pads and the rotor is like new. This is my point and issue. Something is wrong with her brake system.
And she has taken her car in for all the scheduled maintenance at the dealership. They have done all the work for her, and I agree a brake system check is part of the "24 point check". It had only been 8K miles from her last visit (her next one wasn't scheduled for another 2k miles or 10k total).
- Ray

·
Registered
723 Posts

Hmm
Okay now its more clear. Sounds like probably 1 of 2 things
Either she had a bad pad that went out premature to the rest
Or
This is more complex - your brake system is isolated into 4 lines so that in the event that one line breaks you don't lose pressure in all 4 lines. If I'm not mistake if you have a kink , bind or some other reason that is abstructing the flow ( I think ) this puts more pressure into the other side and hence that side would wear out.
Or you should carefully inspect the alingment of the rotor in relation to the disk brake hub. You could have a problem here.

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
41,854 Posts

Actually our Service Manager told us that VW actually covers break pads for the first year. She told us that when we bring our car in for service before the end of the year (year of ownership) we need to have them replace the brake pads if we need new ones or not. My jaw must have dropped because she assured me that this is the case, even though it's considered a wear item.
[EDIT: I think this is because of our 5year/100k extended warranty.]

[Modified by Hostile, 1:49 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
133 Posts

Sounds like there might be a problem with the caliper. If the piston is not moving freely within the casting, then the pad remains in contact with the rotor causing premature wear to both. I don't think your extended warranty (you should read it!) covers "wear" items like pads, rotors, clutch, etc. but it should cover the caliper (either replace or rebuild). It is possible that you have a crimped line (from a rock strike) that is not allowing the pressure to release but the dealership should have found that when they replaced the pads. Try discussing the "bad caliper" angle with the service manager. Maybe he'll work with you to address it through your vehicle's warranty.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

VB102 - I would think so? I personally cannot see how they are holding her responsible for this. I love VW and it is extremely frustrating that they aren't taking care of this. It is an obvious problem with another piece of the brake components or something else that was beyond her control.
She just called the dealership and asked to speak with the service manager. She is going to give them one more chance to make this right before she takes it to VWOA.
- Ray

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I had a BMW, at 30k, both front and rear brake pads and rotors were pristine. I drove the car hard even went to a race track with it, did 40 laps.
Face it VW's are crap, lousy engineering.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Really, for a car that costs more than any in its class, you have to upgrade your pads......WTF.[HR][/HR]​
Um, are you trying to ruffle some feathers? Because according to your profile you don't even own a VW. Probably because they are crap. By the way, yes, Mr. Smartman, a BMW is a better car than a VW. Thanks for your expert analysis.
I do appreciate your logic but please take your anti-vw sentiments elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]oohh, getting a little upset that someone is pointing out the VW's weaknesses??
Face it VW's are crap, lousy engineering. [HR][/HR]​
Well, I realize that my car has it's weaknesses (DV, Window Regs, Brake Pads etc) but I don't really see how you are pointing out the weaknesses of our cars by calling them crap.
Anyway, I don't really see the need to respond to you anymore because I have a feeling that you get your jollys by ticking people off in forums like this. I've checked your other posts and all you've done is ripped on VWs any chance you get. If you don't like or at least appreciate VWs please visit other forum's, we have enough jerks who own VWs here without outside instigators.

[Modified by WolfsburgTurbo, 3:21 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Banned
37 Posts
Re: Brake system nightmare from Dealership (WolfsburgTurbo)

I see, a car with numerous engineering failings can't be called crap?
For one, VW's are the most expensive in their class. But to compete with other less expensive cars in thier class you have to spend thousands on modyfiying them just to keep up to other makes(chip, suspension, swaybars, shocks, springs)
That sir - is a crap car.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.