VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade golf 1 (Ottar)

quote:[HR][/HR]I need a bigger master cylinder on my golf1.
Anything fit right on?
22mm is ok.[HR][/HR]​
22mm will work great. You can either get a Scirocco 16v unit or a g/J II unit. Some minor modification will have to be made to the hard lines to fit.
Carlos

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade golf 1 (iman16vw)

I'm interested in finding out more about this swap.
Does anyone know the part# for the 22mm
...because someone told me that some regular 8V roccos came with them.
The other question being do you need the booster and pedals and all the brackets to do this swap?
Unfrotunately 16V roccos are not being parted out all over the place, so getting a hold of the complete brake set up is driving me nuts.

thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade golf 1 (Crazy Hungarian)

The regular 8v Sciroccos MkIIs came with 20mm master cylinders.
Ottar, if you are not running 10" front brakes or rear rotors you will not need a 22mm MC. You don't need a part number to destinguish the two since they are stamped on the side 20 or 22.
Everything bolts right up, however the 20 and 22mm MC run proportioning valves for the rear brakes. Get the longer front brake lines for a better fit. I would use the matching vacuum booster if it is available. Also the peddle assembly on the 16vs are stronger than the A1 assmeblies. They also have a spring on the clutch for a little mechanical help to reduce peddle effort.
Good luck all,
Corrado Dad

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Brake upgrade golf 1 (Corrado Dad)

Corrado dad: I need at least 22mm.(Wilwood calipers and rear rotors)
I tested a booster from 89 16v, the rod from booster to pedal is to short.
Maybe if I use pedals from golf2?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade golf 1 (iman16vw)

all of the earlier cars that have rear discs have the 22mm master cylinder. The Passat m/c is the cheapest to buy new for some reason. You need the booster from either a 16v scirocco, or any A1 chassis car '85 or newer (scirocco 8v/16v or Cab). this booster works with the stock pedals and is a total bolt up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.