VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it for me to spend the extra couple hundred bucks and upgrade my front brakes to the GLI/337/TT setup? The only difference in the front would be a 12.3 inch rotor versus my stock 11.3's. I will be using mintex reds all around. Im just replacing the rears with new stock parts and mintex reds.
It gonna be over 200 extra to do the TT front upgrade so Im not sure if its worth it at all. I mean does stopping distance decrease at all using this setup??

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: Brake Upgrade (silveratljetta)

there's nothing wrong with upgrading a safety item, think of it that way. I had zimmerman cross drilled rotors and Axxis Ultimate brake pads. I LOVE how well it stopped. Every other braking system felt like it wasn't working. It just didn't stop as well, plus I almost got a few new rear bumpers out of the deal from people stopping behind me. Don't think they realized how well my brakes worked

·
Registered
23,352 Posts

Quote, originally posted by silveratljetta »
Is it worth it for me to spend the extra couple hundred bucks and upgrade my front brakes to the GLI/337/TT setup?

It's unclear what you already have. And therefore hard to tell "if" it's worth it to you.
Here's the deal; if you need new rotors and pads in the front, it's worth the upgrade if you can find the 12.3" carriers for cheap.
I mean does stopping distance decrease at all using this setup??

Stopping distance does decrease some, but the time the takes to have the brakes fade is longer since there's more cooling area to remove friction heat.
That in the long run helps out for brake life and stopping power.
- Erik

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

Is it worth it for me to spend the extra couple hundred bucks and upgrade my front brakes to the GLI/337/TT setup? The only difference in the front would be a 12.3 inch rotor versus my stock 11.3's. I will be using mintex reds all around. Im just replacing the rears with new stock parts and mintex reds.
It gonna be over 200 extra to do the TT front upgrade so Im not sure if its worth it at all. I mean does stopping distance decrease at all using this setup??

Mintex Red isn't really a upgrade-- maybe if you consider less dust as a upgrade. A more agressive street pad, such as Hawk HPS with stock 288mm brakes is still considered a nice upgrade.
If you are going to get the 312mm front brakes, the brakes also have more mechanical leverage that helps performance.
Whether you stay with 288mm or upgrade to 312mm... start off with a good set of brake pads.

·
Banned
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can try and get some hawk hps but I heard they dust a lot??
Maybe ill just get the 312mm fronts with slotted and cad plated rotors from BFI and get the hawk hps pads from ECS?
Then just replace the rears with stock parts and mintex.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
you can always ask the folks in the Brake Forum.
Slotted brakes, by their nature can cause a lot of dusting, even with "low dust" pads

·
Banned
9,856 Posts
Re: (GT17V)

Quote, originally posted by GT17V »
you can always ask the folks in the Brake Forum.
Slotted brakes, by their nature can cause a lot of dusting, even with "low dust" pads

not true. I had slotted, and cross drilled rotors, with medioker brakes, not even petrafied ones, and i literally cleaned my wheels every month, even then there was not much cleaning
Elvir

·
Banned
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (Elvir)

Quote, originally posted by Elvir »

not true. I had slotted, and cross drilled rotors, with medioker brakes, not even petrafied ones, and i literally cleaned my wheels every month, even then there was not much cleaning
Elvir

Im gonna order something form ECS next week when I get paid. Blah!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Brake Upgrade (GT17V)

Slotted Audi TT with Hawk HPS is all you'll ever need on the street http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I am running slotted TT with Mintex Reds and the Reds are GARBAGE as far as stopping power. No dust though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts