VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 VW Fox and I am looking to upgrade the brakes. Someone had mentioned before that the brakes off of an A! platform Jetta will work. Any suggestions or experiences?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Re: Brake Upgrades (InfernoFox)

A1 Jetta brakes will go right on. They're not an upgrade, but they will go right on.
First, standard FAQ disclaimer: this is all in the FAQ.
For an upgrade to 10.1" brakes, you need Scirocco 16V, QSW, 4KQ, 1985-onward CGT front calipers and carriers. Rotors for 16V Scirocco/Jetta/Golf/MK3, pads for any of the above.
14" wheels required!
Pics to explain sig?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Brake Upgrades (Longitudinal)

The signature has not been fulfilled yet but my Fox will eventually get an Audi/VW 1.8T with longitudinal trans and sub-frame mounted in the rear.
From what I was told, the A1 gets vented rotors as an option. Is that true and if so, will it fit with the stock rims?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
someone pipe in if I'm blowing hot air but, with brakes, can't you get better stopping and all that with the same sized rotors but upgraded pads. the whole "bigger is not always better" argument.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (2925)

That is true but only to a certain extent. Once you put ceramic pads on there, it will stop better but the stock rotors are only meant to hold so much heat before they begin to warp. Keep in mind that stopping is done with friction and how much is applied (friction = heat and heat = wear and tear etc.).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (SugarFree)

From what I have heard, you either have to go with complete fabrication or find an axle beam setup with rotors on it (not sure which cars though if any).
but, anyways, if I go with the A1 jetta calipers, will I need a different mounting bracket too? and if so, where can I find some?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Re: (InfernoFox)

Quote, originally posted by InfernoFox »
From what I have heard, you either have to go with complete fabrication or find an axle beam setup with rotors on it (not sure which cars though if any).
but, anyways, if I go with the A1 jetta calipers, will I need a different mounting bracket too? and if so, where can I find some?

Steal rear disk set up from 16v rocco iirc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts