VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since visiting my local stealership last friday to have some run of the mill 337 crap fixed, my rear brake has been singing to me every time the car moves. It's just a whistle, not really loud or obnoxious, but it doesnt sound right, as it even does it when the brakes are not applied. Until this, my brakes have never made any noise whatsoever.
I tried a couple abrupt stops, to see if that would clear it, and it didn't do a thing to the whistle. I looked at the discs, and they don't have any scratches, or abnormalities.
I called the stealership back yesterday, and they said "well, bring it in, and we'll have a look". So I took it in today, and first off the tech couldn't even hear it, so I had to take him around the parking lot with the window down. Then he tells me that brake squeal/whislte/noise is normal and that they get that complaint alot.
I'm pretty much a newbie to car ownership, having owned/ridden sportbikes all my life, but on a bike, if your brakes are making any noise, other than air escaping throught the cross drilling, there's a problem, either something's loose, or something is contaminated.
Oh, and they gave me a little pamphlet from VW "facts about brake wear and noise", how cute....
So, is this a "normal" thing with cars?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Re: Brake Whistle (TheGreasyJap)

I had this exact same problem on my rear drivers side. I went for a ride with the lead tech at my dealer (the only guy allowed to touch my cars) and in a matter of minutes he diagnosed the problem as a warped disc. 1 1/2 hours later and I was on the road.

Modified by 3VWMAN at 12:38 PM 5-7-2003

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

What stealership did you take it to? If you didn't already go to City...go there and ask for Shane. He will have it checked out if you need peace of mind about the brake whistle. He services like 5 other 337's including mine.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Did they find out what was wrong with your car? I talked to Shane about a Monsoon error code with my car and he mentioned that a tech was looking at your car for the whistle. Hope everything went well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.