VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told the Bentley resistance values are no good, anybody know how to check? The part is warrantied, but I don't want to wait for a new one to arrive to discover something different is broken. Here's the backstory if it helps...
Replaced the 88k (epoxied once) coilpack because it was missing and making a big arc in the rain on Friday night. As expected I saw misfire codes for cylinders 6 and 1. Put a brand new coilpack on last nite, car runs better than ever, even most of my high RPM stumbling was cured!
Was out driving today, ripped 1st but not that high, and when I put it in second realized that the car was running like ****, like 2 cyliders weren't firing. VAG COM gave a few 'multiple cylinder misfires' and specific misfires for 1, 3 , 2.
Thanks guys,

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Brand new coil pack failed in a day?! how to test? (FatSean)

Oh yeah, could it be some other part of the ignition system causing this? bad wires or plugs putting stress on the coil? Wires are only 25k old, plugs 5k old. Everything looked well attached.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

did u check the new pack for arcing? i really don't see a coilpack going in one day, but as $hitty as they are, who knows.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Coluld be the wires. I was having the same problem after installing a new coilpack, then traced it back to a bad wire. But only 25k on the wires??

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Brand new coil pack failed in a day?! how to test? (VgRt6)

No arcing, I did the spray test. I'll find an LED test light and do that procedure, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts