VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current Goal: OEM+
Just trying to bring Vortex back. Picked this up tonight.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

My Old GLI Progress Thread

I've got some work to do. Here's what I know:

2012 GTI Base 6 speed Manual
Tornado Red
Interlagos Interior
72k miles

Engine Bay
  • Borla Catback Exhaust
  • Red Top Coil Packs
  • Unitronic Cold Air Intake
  • OEM S3 Short Shifter
Exterior
  • Yellow Lamin-X Fog light tint
  • Tinted LED Tails
Interior
  • Nothing yet
Suspension
  • Stock
Wheels
  • Stock 18" Detroits
  • 225/40R18 Bridgstone Blizzaks (08/20/2022)

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we can change thread names now? That's pretty neat. Cannot wait to get home today and get cracking on this. First thing I did yesterday was disable the ATA confirm. Its kind of funny I didn't remember it ever beeping to unlock. Is that something that can be coded via VCDS? Either way both the lock and unlock beeps are now silent through the MFD. I want to verify window roll down with key today.

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,757 Posts
So we can change thread names now? That's pretty neat. Cannot wait to get home today and get cracking on this. First thing I did yesterday was disable the ATA confirm. Its kind of funny I didn't remember it ever beeping to unlock. Is that something that can be coded via VCDS? Either way both the lock and unlock beeps are now silent through the MFD. I want to verify window roll down with key today.
sweet and yes you can change the coding to beep or not beep when locking.

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The List (in no particular order):
  • Wash exterior
  • Deep clean interior 66% Complete
  • Clean engine bay 75% Complete
  • Remove all plastidip 66% complete
  • Install stock headlights
  • Replace vent boost gauge with stock vent
  • New fog light housings
  • Rear parcel shelf cord replacement 90% Complete
  • Paint/scratch repair
  • Brake Fluid Flush
  • Replace Shift Linkage Clip
  • Rear sway bar upgrade
  • Wheels & tires
  • Intake Valve Cleaning
  • 034 Motorsport billet dogbone mount
  • Dash Cubby
  • OEM S3 short shifter
  • Battery Box cover
  • Clutch Bleeder Block w/ SS Clutch Line
  • SS Brake Lines
  • Tyrolsport Brake Stiffener Kit
  • Tyrolsport Brake Booster Brace
  • Tyrolsport Deadset Rigid Collars
  • Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings
  • Unitronic Intake Swap
  • VWR Cup Kit (Shocks and Springs)
  • 034 motorsport High Density front strut mounts
  • DEAutoLED Cabin LED Lights
  • Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, yesterday was a great day to be working on this thing. I wanted to get cracking on the headlight housing replacement first thing Saturday morning. Second thing Saturday morning I realized it removal and replacement of the headlight housings requires you to remove the front bumper. I have never done this before so it was a good learning experience. There are wayyy too many T25 torx screws under that front end. Anyways. I am so much happier with the way the front end looks. I took some time to wipe down and clean up the engine bay. I also took off the plastidip that was on the front emblems. This was a good experience because I will have to remove the front bumper to do the fog lights when they come in.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Tire

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok just a quick update. I was happy to find out this car came with the rear parcel shelf. The only issue was one of the strings broke which I believe is a normal occurrence for these things over time. I ordered some replacement ones off of amazon for pretty cheap and they fit the need but not without some adjustment. The strings are a bit too long so I had to tie a knot for now to achieve the height I would like. I forgot to take pictures but will update on Monday with how they look. I will be shooting a car event and a tattoo expo this weekend!

Pics:

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Umbrella Tints and shades Flooring Automotive exterior Pattern

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This weekend I spent most of my time shampooing and cleaning the seats. I really wanted to get that done before I was crawling around trying to get the P3 Cars vent boost gauge out of there, which I also did this weekend. This week I am going to inspect the brake fluid level - which I haven't yet because I haven't had time to take out the intake. Right now to get into first I have to sometimes push the clutch through the floor it feels like. I think it may be the master cylinder but I would like to rule out low brake fluid first. I also ordered a set of Blizzaks from Costco which will be installed next weekend. Huge deal at Costco right now with $150 off your already low priced order. If I can get the clutch figured out and these tires installed I will be ready for this winter in Alaska.

Car Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checked the brake fluid tonight. In the process broke the MAF sensor dongle clip, discovered a missing shifter linkage clip, and realized the previous owner did not tighten down the intake hose clamp to the turbo tight enough. I have ordered a Unitronic intake to replace the APR one, a shifter linkage clip, oem s3 short shifter, replacement MAF sensor dongle, and a brake fluid flush kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, a few things I am contemplating as I await parts:
1. I think I found a stock briefcase to replace the Borla Y-pipe. need to measure what length the guy needs to cut off of the pipe to send it to me. I am thinking 6-8" but I am going to remove the Y-pipe tonight to verify.
2. New blizzaks going on tomorrow. I plan on just removing the wheels from the car and taking them in to replace the tires at Costco. Should not take too long (hopefully)
3. The guy who sold me the car (18, moving off to college, had the car for a year), included the FK Silverline X's with the sale. Now, these are brand new, I have run coils before but they were Koni's on my GLI. I would prefer not messing with coils and going straight to the VWR Springs/Dampers, but I am at a crossroads - I have a suspension to install but its not the one I want. Really torn on what to do but I think I am going to put the FKs up for sale and take a chance ordering the VWR kit. Open to thoughts or suggestions.
4. I don't think any of the parts will be coming in this weekend (maybe just the battery box cover), so I will just be waiting and cleaning some more until next week. I will post pics this weekend once I get the fresh rubber on.

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MAF sensor dongle fixed, brake fluid flush complete, wheels back on. Literally never want to do a brake fluid flush again but will need to when I install stainless steel brake lines. The schwaben brake bleeder wrench is 2mm too long for it to be of any use. Could hardly move it any which way I tried. Glad it’s done though. Unitronic intake came in as well. Once I get the S3 short shifter and the shifter clip I will be ready for a road test. Hopefully the brakes are fine. I guess I didn’t tighten the cap from the pressure bleeder to the reservoir and brake fluid started pissing from the reservoir. Tightened it with some channel lock pliers and that did the job but fluid got almost everywhere. Hopefully it’s not corrosive to rubber…

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I had every intention on getting this thing back on the road today however, as I got down to the second to last step in removing the stock shifter, the little white clip that holds in the top half of the shifter broke… so I ordered a new top part and white clip and am not going to put the battery box back in until I get that part in which is going to be next week sometime. The unfortunate part about living in Alaska is there is one VW dealer that is an hour away that usually doesn’t have the parts I need on hand which means I have to order them online…which takes at least a week to get here. Oh well. I also removed the Thule base bars and the plastidip from the rear emblem. I’d like to get the outside detailed professionally to fix the scratches and whatnot in the paint but that’ll be a few months from now at least. Anyways, on to pics:

Old vs New:

Halfway there!

I also think the rubber bushing was pretty worn too.

RIP in peace

Part Number: 5K0711202B

Should I just take this dang liner out already?

IIRC There is a small plastic piece that goes here, does anyone know what that might be?

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I don't know if I am going to regret removing that hood blanket since I live in Alaska and it can get pretty cold here, but I suppose I will find out. It has been a while since my last update and I have gotten a few things done:
1) Installed the Unitronic intake - I now get a deep whistle under heavy load that I believe is the MAF making noise now that there is much greater airflow through it
2) Installed the S3 short shifter - I think I need to recalibrate the shift linkage because I did not lock it in the "home" position before doing that swap.

Now, I like knocking out as much at once as possible so, before I do the calibration I am going to order the following with the intent to install:

• Spulen (or ECS) Clutch Bleeder Block
  • SS Clutch line
  • Solid shifter cable end links
  • Brake Fluid
  • BFI Heavyweight shift knob

I have been reading a lot recently about timing chain issues. To be honest in my 2012 Ko4 GLI I never had any problems up to when I sold it at 93k miles. I just ordered VCDS so I can check mine... hopefully its not bad.

The only other mechanical issue I am seeing (or hearing rather) is a whine in reverse or first after a cold start coming from the transmission. I believe this is the throw out bearing issue that is common with these cars. Again, I never saw this in my previous MkVI but I think I may need to change the throw out bearing and might as well change the clutch while I am at it... If I am the 4th owner is this still covered under the powertrain warranty? 73k miles

Thoughts questions comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 GTI
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered the Tyrolsport SSBB set. As I was putting together the rest of the parts I was quickly reminded of how insane shipping is to Alaska, so I am going to order the rest of those items closer to my next planned trip to the lower 48, which is in November. That being said, I am still going to do the shifter bracket bushings, recalibrate the shifter cables, and MAYBE do a clutch hydraulic fluid flush. Also would like to get an alignment, rev d DV, and a TOP.

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,757 Posts
I don't know if I am going to regret removing that hood blanket since I live in Alaska and it can get pretty cold here, but I suppose I will find out. It has been a while since my last update and I have gotten a few things done:
1) Installed the Unitronic intake - I now get a deep whistle under heavy load that I believe is the MAF making noise now that there is much greater airflow through it
2) Installed the S3 short shifter - I think I need to recalibrate the shift linkage because I did not lock it in the "home" position before doing that swap.

Now, I like knocking out as much at once as possible so, before I do the calibration I am going to order the following with the intent to install:

• Spulen (or ECS) Clutch Bleeder Block
  • SS Clutch line
  • Solid shifter cable end links
  • Brake Fluid
  • BFI Heavyweight shift knob

I have been reading a lot recently about timing chain issues. To be honest in my 2012 Ko4 GLI I never had any problems up to when I sold it at 93k miles. I just ordered VCDS so I can check mine... hopefully its not bad.

The only other mechanical issue I am seeing (or hearing rather) is a whine in reverse or first after a cold start coming from the transmission. I believe this is the throw out bearing issue that is common with these cars. Again, I never saw this in my previous MkVI but I think I may need to change the throw out bearing and might as well change the clutch while I am at it... If I am the 4th owner is this still covered under the powertrain warranty? 73k miles

Thoughts questions comments appreciated.
Sorta kinda related fun fact. T3 touareg only came with hood blankets sometimes. There was no correlation between year / model some had it some didn't. Mine doesn't have it but a lot of truck and other vehicles don't have them either so I would think you would be fine probably.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts