VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I just got the APR 91 DPP this morning. I have noticed the car is adjusting..im not really getting all the power as i should be. The car kinda hesitates and jerks when im on the throttle and when i let go of the gas. Is that normal? How long does it take for the ecu to learn everything and is there a certain break in method? please enlighten..thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: Break in period with APR chip? (jb_MKIV)

You don't have the "break" it in. It will take a few days for the ecu to learn the chip settings, but you shouldn't drive the car softer. when i first got mine, it was hitting a max of 18psi, now it hits 20-21 usually.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Break in period with APR chip? (GTI20thNo742)

wow..coo..u have the turbo XS too. How many washers do u have in there>? so i should drive the car like i stole it?
and let it learn the program in a few days.? thanks for the input

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
Re: Break in period with APR chip? (Crzypdilly)

Quote, originally posted by Crzypdilly »
what exactly does it have to learn? I know people say driving styles but what actually goes on in the motor, what changes, how does it affect performance?

ignition timing vs fuel maps vs throttle position vs engine temperature vs oxygen sensor readings vs boost readings vs NC75 vs everything else that has to do with a complicated car for which the reason you dont make your own car

seriously... there's alot going on. Just let it get used to you and itself.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Re: Break in period with APR chip? (danny_16v)

I just got the trial and I am love'n it. The car didn't seem to have to 'learn' anything. Although I can imagine after a while it would start to adapt to your driving habits.
The car has sooooo much more spunk now throughout the RPM's. Although I noticed a tiny bit of surging at times in the 2-3K rpms but it wasn't consitant. I'm sure a new DV and n75 valve would clear that up, BUT NOWWW I'm torn because originally I planned on getting a Revo trial after this APR trial, but I got my trial at a sale @ ND and they said if i wanted to buy it I could jsut call them back and they'd run my cc and tell me how to keep it and only charge me the discount price, which is $500 for the 1 program with the second program free. BUT if i go get a Revo trial...obviously they'll reprogram my ECU and I won't have the option to get the APR at the discounted price anymore ($580 for 2 programs). Sigh. What to do what to do. Actually i planned on not getting either chips for a while, I wanted to get a boost gauge first so I could tell which was holding boost better....hmmmmm anyways...sorry to get off topic.

Modified by b.schulz at 11:09 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: Break in period with APR chip? (jb_MKIV)

Quote, originally posted by jb_MKIV »
wow..coo..u have the turbo XS too. How many washers do u have in there>? so i should drive the car like i stole it?
and let it learn the program in a few days.? thanks for the input

I have 7 washers in my valve.
Just drive the car normal, and it will get progressively faster as you drive it over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts