VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
7,912 Posts
Re: breaking 200whp without cams or FI... possible? (619)

Gotta pay to play.
If you want a car thats cheap to make fast get a camaro.
edit-^^^ hmmm... do I sense custom tuning? THe main thing holding me back from getting cams (besides the fact that Im building a race car) is the lack of software.

Modified by NOVAdub at 4:43 AM 8-19-2006

· Registered
5,378 Posts
Re: breaking 200whp without cams or FI... possible? (NOVAdub)

I got a handle on all the 24v stuff so far.
ignition, fuel, cam phase angle.
The tirck with the cam phase stuff is that its more set-up dependent than timing and Fuel.
i.e. changing exhaust will change back pressure this affects what
cam angle is best. Less back pressure 'likes' more cam advance.
I was also chatting with Cameron over at Thirty20 (Utah) a while back
regarding 24v cams.... I gotta convice him to send me a set.

-Jeff

· Registered
9,426 Posts
Re: breaking 200whp without cams or FI... possible? (Mercury9180)

Quote, originally posted by Mercury9180 »
i thought vr6 24v had 200 hp stock?

Lol, you must be noob, it's cool, I was like that few years back, asked the same question.
I don't know how to put it in more technical way, but 200hp is at the crank, witch means the engine it self...when you dyno your car it tells you how much power it puts at the wheels.
So, in order to get the power to the wheels our engine uses some power to move engine components like, pulleys, drive shaft, transmission etc.
That's why some mods include, lighter pulleys, lighter flywheel, even lighter rims.
Hope that explained a little bit

· Registered
6,001 Posts
Re: breaking 200whp without cams or FI... possible? (619)

well, with intake, exhaust and chip, your at 190whp, 10hp aint nothing.
just go to HPA and get a short runner intake, problem solved

have fun spending $1000 though

· Registered
7,912 Posts
Re: (619)

No one has really tried so its hard to say that it wont happen. If any of the FI guys spont the $5k on NA we woudl have 200 whp without cams. If I can finish my race car over the winter (are these things ever done?
) Id like to do some more work to the 24v next summer. TT cams, headwork, custom tune would get this gar really moving.

· Registered
6,001 Posts
Re: (NOVAdub)

Quote, originally posted by NOVAdub »
No one has really tried so its hard to say that it wont happen. If any of the FI guys spont the $5k on NA we woudl have 200 whp without cams. If I can finish my race car over the winter (are these things ever done?
) Id like to do some more work to the 24v next summer. TT cams, headwork, custom tune would get this gar really moving.

$5k to gain 35whp?
FI FTMFW!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.