VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

361 - 380 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
I also had to deal with rodents eating my aem dry flow filter. Another $60 wasted :banghead:

I am currently redoing my head unit / audio step up once again so some updates will be coming with all that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
I painted my wheels right before the show just clean them up a little bit.

And they're fore sale now too.
$600
17x7.5 // 17x8.5
215/45/17 hankook v4's all around

Good enough for a little spray paint

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #364 (Edited)
Finally completed my sound system in my car.

Got a new Kenwood 4 channel 600 watt amp.
This fixed the white noise from the cheapo boss amp.
Everything sounds crisp and clear now which is nice.

This amp is TINY.

Stuck it right in the tool box slot.

I also got a new Kenwood head unit (DDX375).
It's bluetooth and touch screen and works pretty well so far.
The only hang up I had was that it has a spotify app built into it so when it connects it puts spotify on your phone into "dock" mode. Which basically means you can't change the song or control spotify from your phone.
The work around this is to turn off auto connect for spotify and then connect the phone as a "bluetooth device" and then you will be able to control spotify from your phone. You are also able to change songs play / pause straight from the head unit too which is nice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Only been doing a few things here and there.

Changed the oil and put a new oil temp sensor in and changed the oil.

Turns out it was just a ripped wire the whole time. Oh well.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
After 6 years of running lamin x on my fog lights I decided it was time to take them off.

I wet sanded my foglights while I was there. Not perfect but an improvement. I may go back and do it again to clean them up a bit more.
I also got some yellow bulbs off ebay so they still light up yellow.

Side by side comparison. Still not perfectly clear but a lot better than before.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
After 6 years of running lamin x on my fog lights I decided it was time to take them off.

I wet sanded my foglights while I was there. Not perfect but an improvement. I may go back and do it again to clean them up a bit more.
I also got some yellow bulbs off ebay so they still light up yellow.

Side by side comparison. Still not perfectly clear but a lot better than before.
I have to do this to mine as well. It sounds like such a pain to polish those. I found an awesome DIY on how to get them looking really clear with sanding and some special glass polishing powder. Might be worth looking into too.

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e...3-diy-fog-light-sanding-refinishing-pics.html

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #369 (Edited)
The other day I was driving and had my coolant warning light come on. Pop the hood to see the coolant tank is empty and I hear gurgling around the turbo side of the motor. I filled it up with water and made it back home. After it cooled down I found the source of the coolant leak. Turns out the turbo coolant inlet hose ripped.

Here's where it ripped.
(check that rusty wastegate :()

So pretty much no one sells this hose aftermarket and the dealer price was a $120 for this little hose.
I ended up going to the junkyard and snagging a hose for $4 and getting crush washers from the dealer for $2. Not bad.

Junk yard hose.

Had to pull the whole front of the car apart to replace this little hose.

·
Registered
MKIV VR6, A4 B5,996 C2, MKVI JSW
2,032 Posts
I had something similar happen to me with that same hose. The rubber elbow was resting on the side of the engine so it burned through the rubber and leaked. I tried replacing it in the service position but there was no way that was gonna happen so I did the same and pulled off the front end. So much work for such a little hose :facepalm: I didn't have the time to go out to the junkyard so I had to get a new one from the dealer and even with my discount it was still a pretty penny

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
I had something similar happen to me with that same hose. The rubber elbow was resting on the side of the engine so it burned through the rubber and leaked. I tried replacing it in the service position but there was no way that was gonna happen so I did the same and pulled off the front end. So much work for such a little hose :facepalm: I didn't have the time to go out to the junkyard so I had to get a new one from the dealer and even with my discount it was still a pretty penny
I feel you. It was so much work for so little pay off lol.

361 - 380 of 453 Posts