VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I should start by stating that i am no stranger to ebay chinese LED arrays. I have tons of them. I don't like thinking about how much i've spent on them. Some are Good, some are Great, some are Barely Adequate, and some are Disappointing.

So I am well acquainted with the fact that when you ask for "white" you might get something with a blue tint. Unless you ask for Warm White, but that's another thing entirely. I run all Warm White LEDs in my land cruiser, but Pure White seemed appropriate for the GTI.

I know well that when they say "CANBUS No Error!" they mean they threw a resistor on it and they hope it'll work out.

You CAN get good LEDs from eBay vendors who ship direct from Shenzhen or Hong Kong. But it's' a crapshoot.

Though if you have an old truck with dome lights that resemble a single christmas light at half power, I can recommend the 48-led arrays from ebay vendor DreamMacys. I once installed a new stereo and reassembled the dash in my truck using only the light from warm white LED arrays from that vendor. I did not feel the need for additional illumination. At no point did i decide that i should get a flashlight or that what i was doing was stupid and i should start over in the morning.

ALL THAT BEING SAID:

I took advantage of the $44 shipped deal for the whole kit from deautokey in hopes that they would live up to promises and any issues i have will be warrantied by someone who speaks english natively and lives on the same continent as i do.

What you get:

It turns out that the 41mm festoon arrays for the license plate and vanity lights and the center light on your overhead console if you have a 2006 are all the same array.

I questioned this at first, thinking that either the license plate lights would be too dim or that the vanity lighting would blind me, but it works out just fine. The license plate is illuminated adequately with white light and the vanity lighting is angled enough that it doesn't end up hurting you.

I have a 2007 so my overhead console does not have a center light.

You get 5 of the same 5-LED T10 (wedge) for each of the other overhead lights.

The way the front ones are angled, the reflectors do a brilliant job and they just look like brightly lit versions of what you used to have.

In the rear there is more of a "gosh i have 5 bright points in each of those" effect but I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm pretty sure that if i needed the light in the back to be more diffuse i can put a pinch of polyfill (what stuffed animals are full of) around each array as a diffuser.

The footwell lights are a trick to install but i've had two other kinds of LED arrays in there so I'm used to it. They work great.

I will warn that i have vag-com and i have disabled cold diagnosis for the footwell lights because a previous product i had installed in that position had a tendency to flicker, which was caused by the cold diagnostic. I don't know if the deautokey arrays will flicker in that position w/o vag-com tinkering.

Quality:

The 8-led array for the trunk light looks a lot like one i bought from a chinese ebay vendor, but it's brighter, whiter, and made so that the heatsink doesn't rub up against the back of that fixture.

All of the 3-led festoon arrays for the license plate and vanity positions seemed a little short and i had to bend the contacts together slightly to get a sense that they are fitting snugly.

The light is consistently pure white.

I have installed an LED array in every position of the interior and i do not have an issue where they all glow slightly while off. I believe this is due to having the right resistors on the arrays.

Installation tips:

Front overhead console - use a credit card to pry off the microphone grille and then remove the two torx screws behind that so that you can drop down the whole assembly. The wedge sockets are twist-locked into the frame. twist counter clockwise with pliers to remove socket, switch bulb for led array, reinstall, then turn on the light. If it doesn't turn on, turn off the switch, pull it out, rotate it 180 degrees, and install it again. This is much easier than prying off the lens and attacking it in place. ask how i know.

Rear overhead lights: Pull the whole bezel off, pull the bulbs out, twist bezel to release lens, reinstall lensless bezel, install LED arrays, then reinstall lens. Much easier than trying to reinstall the bezel with LED arrays sticking out.

Footwell lights: open the door and get out so you can poke your head under the dash, reach behind the panel to push out the light fixture. Unplug wire harness. Use a thin tool to pry the metal backing over the clips on the lens. gently. it's annoying. you'll get there. assembly is reverse of disassembly.

License plate: Dunno what to tell you. Getting the fixtures out is awkward. Getting just the lens and bulb holder out with the fixtures in place? also awkward. Good luck.

Trunk and vanity: What's to say - pry 'em out from the end they pry and replace. Look for the end that obviously was designed to fit a screwdriver under.

Glovebox: I don't have glovebox illumination. I have an audio jack instead. I don't see why i couldn't have both. I am annoyed at VW for this.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen :mad:

But seriously, we'd love to see them. I'm particularly interested in the footwell lights. Do they offer a red similar to the red in our interiors, because I think that would look great.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, before pics weren't possible because i had already done half of these lights in random ebay parts.

They offer the footwell lights in blue and red but the rest is white.

Sent from my mobile thinger using the tapawhatsit

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah sorry about the tolstoy.

If i get some time this weekend I will put back in some of the original bulbs so you can see side by side.

hard to photograph that kind of stuff though. auto white balance and all.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually I am a little annoyed because i discovered tonight that the inside of my car is so bright when i park now that i am going to have to keep it cleaner, despite my window tinting.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As a note for the Footwell lighting and flickering: You should always have cold diagnostics disabled when LEDs are installed. The cold diag sends high voltage pulses to sense that the incandescent bulbs are installed and working properly. On incandescent bulbs you do not see this pulse because of the speed that it happens, but with LEDs you will see a flicker. These pulses over time will damage the LED components and cause them to fail so its suggested to leave them turned off for any part of the car that you have LEDs installed.

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
As a note for the Footwell lighting and flickering: You should always have cold diagnostics disabled when LEDs are installed. The cold diag sends high voltage pulses to sense that the incandescent bulbs are installed and working properly. On incandescent bulbs you do not see this pulse because of the speed that it happens, but with LEDs you will see a flicker. These pulses over time will damage the LED components and cause them to fail so its suggested to leave them turned off for any part of the car that you have LEDs installed.
:thumbup: Great tip here.

Thank you

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
I just put my trunk bulb in and it doesn't fit as tight as the stock bulb
Sometimes when removing the bulb the prongs stretch, it is an easy fix to lightly bend one prong, this will create a tighter fit when you install the LED bulb. You are referring to the 8 LED bulb, correct?

And remember always have your car off and key out of the ignition when you install any lights in a VW.

You can always email us [email protected] or PM us here for a quick response as we sometimes miss posts as they all don't show up through email.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes when removing the bulb the prongs stretch, it is an easy fix to lightly bend one prong, this will create a tighter fit when you install the LED bulb. You are referring to the 8 LED bulb, correct?

And remember always have your car off and key out of the ignition when you install any lights in a VW.

You can always email us [email protected] or PM us here for a quick response as we sometimes miss posts as they all don't show up through email.

Thank you
All of my festoon arrays from you seem a little short.

Maybe tomorrow I'll whip out the digital caliper and compare them to the bulbs i took out?

I agree that it's a two second fix though. Just bend the contacts a little closer.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

Maybe tomorrow I'll whip out the digital caliper and compare them to the bulbs i took out?

I agree that it's a two second fix though. Just bend the contacts a little closer.
I have had this with almost any LED festoon bulb I have bought in the past. Even the one from performance LEDs, but not by much. All i had to do was bend the pin slightly and it sat snug no problem.

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts

Really? Sorry to hear that. These are 36mm Festoons and should fit fine, the contacts are meant to bend so they do not snap off, so when you remove a light bulb they sometimes stretch out.

Let me know what you find, I am curious to know the size of your OEM bulbs then, as when we measured our LED it was always 36mm.

The trunk is 42mm

Thank you

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really? Sorry to hear that. These are 36mm Festoons and should fit fine, the contacts are meant to bend so they do not snap off, so when you remove a light bulb they sometimes stretch out.

Let me know what you find, I am curious to know the size of your OEM bulbs then, as when we measured our LED it was always 36mm.

The trunk is 42mm

Thank you
IT could be that I'm just too ham-fisted with the bulbs when i pull them out. I mean they do come out easier one way than they do the other due to channels cut in the contacts and i don't always pay attention, but i bent the contacts closer on every single one of them.

Will check in the morning and post what i find. fwiw i dunno that i still have the original trunk bulb. I might or might not. As i said in my post i had a similar chinese ebay array in there, but yours is brighter and whiter and it's heatsink doesn't come uncomfortably close to the reflector.

·
Vendor
22,338 Posts
IT could be that I'm just too ham-fisted with the bulbs when i pull them out. I mean they do come out easier one way than they do the other due to channels cut in the contacts and i don't always pay attention, but i bent the contacts closer on every single one of them.

Will check in the morning and post what i find. fwiw i dunno that i still have the original trunk bulb. I might or might not. As i said in my post i had a similar chinese ebay array in there, but yours is brighter and whiter and it's heatsink doesn't come uncomfortably close to the reflector.
:thumbup: Thanks for the feedback, our quality will be at a higher standard than what you find on eBay and other places. With our lifetime warranty, you have no worries, and we have a hassle free return policy if you are not happy. That is the reason why I was giving you that return option, not because we want you to return these or anything :).

But yes, it sounds like your eBay LED stretched out the prongs, we are going to be making a FAQ for these LED as we get the same questions a lot.

A few:
*Polarity, if the LED doesn't work the first time, turn it 180 degrees.
*Contacts/prongs being too small or too big: they are meant to have a little bit of slack, most times you can use your fingers to push them closer or the LED itself to push them apart.
*VW Quirks: since it has a CANBUS and the car cycles to check for light out errors, you ALWAYS need to have the car off, and the key out of the ignition when installing these lights.

We have some more FAQ we will be adding to our site soon to make it easier, and we had a few customers create some DIY on installing these LED, and other customers gave tips, so we will soon catalog them all in one section on our website to make the process of installing LED a little bit easier.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 44 Posts