VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently refilled my 2001 Jetta with pink coolant and antifreeze. It’s been running fine for the last few days with no problems. But yesterday my car overheating and when I got home I noticed a strange green liquid dripping from the front passenger side of the engine. Basically dropping straight out of the radiator. Couldn’t identify exactly where it was coming from nor what it even is?? No concrete answers. I keep hearing “it’s obviously antifreeze” but that doesn’t make any f***king sense because my car uses pink. So where did BRIGHT GREEN come from. I’m very confused but need some clarity so I can fix the issue and get back on the road as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1989 Jetta Diesel soon to be ALH
1,141 Posts
Did the car actually overheat? Or did you just see steam from underneath the hood?

Typically ac refrigerant dye is neon bright green so it’s easy to spot and can be seen better with a UV black light.

You might have blown a hole or o-ring on the ac system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Power steering fluid is also green, but that seems too far forward in the car for that. But you'll need to track it down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the car actually overheat? Or did you just see steam from underneath the hood?

Typically ac refrigerant dye is neon bright green so it’s easy to spot and can be seen better with a UV black light.

You might have blown a hole or o-ring on the ac system.

The car wasn’t overheating so I think it might just be related to the AC. I heard someone else mention how they’ve seen a bright green fluid also come out of their AC. also like I mentioned my coolant is pink. So if it’s the AC is what’s busted, then what should I buy for replacement parts?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The car wasn’t overheating so I think it might just be related to the AC. I heard someone else mention how they’ve seen a bright green fluid also come out of their AC. also like I mentioned my coolant is pink. So if it’s the AC is what’s busted, then what should I buy for replacement parts?
You'd have to do an AC leak diagnosis. Could be a dead compressor, could be a leak, could be a crack in the line, maybe the AC valve is leaking, maybe the condenser is leaking, maybe an O-ring is shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd have to do an AC leak diagnosis. Could be a dead compressor, could be a leak, could be a crack in the line, maybe the AC valve is leaking, maybe the condenser is leaking, maybe an O-ring is shot.
oh jeez. So many things. Maybe I should just buy a whole new system, it’s 20 years old anyways haha

·
Registered
1989 Jetta Diesel soon to be ALH
1,141 Posts
Like it was stated you should have a ac diagnosis done. Typically your ac condenser and receiver drier are installed in front of the radiator. There is likely something wrong in that area. Possibly something rubbed thru and blew the Freon out which made it seem like it was blowing steam out and overheating. It should be easy to trace the bright green dye mixed with the Freon oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like it was stated you should have a ac diagnosis done. Typically your ac condenser and receiver drier are installed in front of the radiator. There is likely something wrong in that area. Possibly something rubbed thru and blew the Freon out which made it seem like it was blowing steam out and overheating. It should be easy to trace the bright green dye mixed with the Freon oil.

Perfect I’ll make sure to do that ASAP. Thanks so much. I was very confused why such a bright fluid was coming out haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.