VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my '91 Jetta is chalky and I'd like to begin the process of bringing it back. I have used Rubbing/Polishing compound in the past with mixed results and wonder if anyone in here has any tips and or tricks.

I don't currently own an orbital buffer and I am hesitant to use one because it seems that is what happened to our Cabby paint before we bought it. The angles and hard lines are down to primer because of taking too much of the paint off.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to do it right the first time and would like it to last as long as possible. I've considered going to a professional but I wonder how many detailers have a good handle on the process since these cars are so old now.

:beer:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,430 Posts
Oof, that's always a tough one. I don't have any solutions, but I am in for Mk2 content and would like to know for when I inevitably get one.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would not use rubbing compound especially on thinning paint
Unless you use an aggressive abrasive, random orbital machines are safe and a great tool for polishing with the correct polishes
If you do not use a machine perhaps try a synthetic clay to clean paint and Griots Garage 3 in 1 liquid cleaning Wax. It has a mild cleaner, will add gloss and protection. If this does not bring up the paint then you probably need to do a multi step polish with a random orbital.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I second the advice that a random orbital is very unlikely to do any serious harm if you keep it moving. I would also add that if you went to an experienced detailer they shouldn't have any issues working with your paint and will communicate any concerns they have after inspecting the vehicle.

·
Registered
23,430 Posts
I thought you wanted to start a trend of matte finishes on older Dubs. :laugh:

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
The thread title made me think that we should start requesting that manufacturers bring this finish back to current automobiles. :laugh:

Chris

·
Registered
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:laugh::laugh:

Didn't think of it that way.

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I need to shop for an orbital. Any recommendations on a good brand? I might practice on the Cabby first and then hit the Jetta.

·
Registered
567 Posts
:laugh::laugh:

Didn't think of it that way.

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I need to shop for an orbital. Any recommendations on a good brand? I might practice on the Cabby first and then hit the Jetta.
JB

I own 2 Griots Garage Random Orbitals. I think my newest one is about 5 years old. I believe they are made by Porter Cable. I would recommend the long cord option. Griots has great customer service and if you call them their associates are very knowledgeable and can offer great assistance. They can probably give you better advice on which of their liquid car care products to use on your Vdub. The foam pads are washable and can be re-used a few times.
For what is worth, my 1979 Cadillac I inherited 17 years ago from my neighbor and friend's parent's still has the original 41 year old GM lacquer paint on it, no bare spots. I have detailed this Caddie since new when I was in High School. Primarily Griots products used with the orbital for the past 17 years or so.
Have Fun!

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/g9+random+orbital+polisher.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

·
Registered
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JB

I own 2 Griots Garage Random Orbitals. I think my newest one is about 5 years old. I believe they are made by Porter Cable. I would recommend the long cord option. Griots has great customer service and if you call them their associates are very knowledgeable and can offer great assistance. They can probably give you better advice on which of their liquid car care products to use on your Vdub. The foam pads are washable and can be re-used a few times.
For what is worth, my 1979 Cadillac I inherited 17 years ago from my neighbor and friend's parent's still has the original 41 year old GM lacquer paint on it, no bare spots. I have detailed this Caddie since new when I was in High School. Primarily Griots products used with the orbital for the past 17 years or so.
Have Fun!

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/g9+random+orbital+polisher.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
Good tip thanks.

Is that an 8v Wolfsburg edition?

I have the Flex 3401 DA orbital, made in Germany, and it's fantastic:

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-XC3401VRG-Positive-Drive-Rotary-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B001DB0NVG?th=1
It was - now it is a turbo diesel. :)

Nice I will look into that one as well. :beer:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The missing paint on the edges of your previous car was not due to buffing, it was due to some moron NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Can you burn through your paint w a buffer? Sure. You could also forget to put your drain plug in and ruin your engine if you changed your own oil.

Easy solution: Don't do that.

I have a harbor freight special buffer, 6" pad. Got a wool pad for a heavy cutting, and some foamies for finishing. For compound, man... I cannot recomment 3m PerfecIt enough. I've tried using everything meguieres has, and I hate all of it. Also, while you're at HF, pick up the 3" pneumatic buffer gun, should be around $20 or so. Do the big panels w the big buffer, then use the 3" pnuematic one on smaller area, near headlights, etc.

Don't press down. Let pad do the work. Don't stay in one spot too long, paint will get to hot. Buff up to edges, and make sure if you get near an edge, the rotation of the pad is going OFF the edge. If the pad is going TOWARDS the edge, it can catch can pull the buffer into the edge burning the paint.

When I had my s6 painted, I wet sanded and buffed the whole car myself. Had never done it before. Was not hard at all. Seriously don't understand why people spend $1000's on paint correction, it was so freakin easy once you get the hang of it. >shrug<

·
Registered
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow nice!! Thanks for the info too.

I just realized DeWalt has a 20V tool. I like the idea of not having to mess with a cord.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Follow the steps laid out in this thread. It's shocking how well it works. It's an epic write up, but the principals are solid and you'll learn some good history about automotive refinishing.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

On my '84 GLI with Mars Red single stage paint it was nothing less than transformational, and the paint wasn't in that bad condition. I followed the guidelines laid out in that thread and did three hand rubbed passes with Meguiars #7 Mirror Glaze to remove initial oxidization and "nourish" the paint, then it was safe to machine polished with Meguiars #9 Scratch/Swirl Remover 2.0 which plays well with the #7 and single stage paint (used a Griots G9 buffer with orange Lake Country pad), then hand waxed with Collinite 845 wax. Old school products, but for old single stage paint it looks amazing. Products were not very expensive, but it did take some time. The first coat of the Megs #7 sat on the car overnight, the two other coats for a few hours.

Meguiars #7 - https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Show-Car/dp/B0002UQAM0
Meguiars #9 - https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Swirl-Remover/dp/B0002SQVX0
Collinite 845 Wax - https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-845-Insulator-Wax-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B000JK2D06

1 - 20 of 45 Posts