VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
49,803 Posts
Probably some good deals but I'm really not mentally prepared for RHD. Maybe for a track car though?
There are LHD cars in Great Britain, too. Getting a car from the continent isn't very difficult, so you might be able to find what you're looking for in England that's originally from elsewhere in Europe.

· Registered
49,803 Posts
agreed
RHD for a fast fun car would be a pass
our silver shadow was RHD and was fine since it moved at its own pace, but for something fun that you might actually look to pass people in - no thanks

a slow RHD offroader, maybe. a slow luxo boat like the shadow, maaaybe. but a performance car. nope

ive been half heartedly looking at defenders for a few years, maybe further erosion/slow down of old car stuff and BaT hype dying down, plus the slower brit economy might finally make this a time to buy. but my guess is most of the people shopping in that market for their beach house beach cruiser arent too impacted by any of those things.
I've seen people come up with "RHD kits" for Beetles. They'll cut out the dash, remove the pedals, footrest, pitman arm, and all of the other parts unique to RHD cars and sell them to Americans who just have to be different. I think it's dumb. Of course if they truly wanted to be different I'd suggest not starting with the highest volume production car in the history of the world, so there's that. :unsure:

· Registered
49,803 Posts
TBF there's a lot of room to be different in the air cooled VW world. I've had over 30 of them and no two were alike. I've even had a RHD Type 2.
Oh, as you know I'm well aware. I was making a point of doing something... not conducive to safe driving to be "different". I'm fine with anything that doesn't compromise the overall active safety of the vehicle, especially since passive safety barely exists in those things.

· Registered
49,803 Posts
Heh, during the restoration my Uncle might've put the 1x4s in as an upgrade! Next time I'm in the shop I'll investigate that further.
Don't worry about my bit. I've never seen a Model A while apart, only a T.

Well, that's not quite true. A friend had one, but when I was visiting him it was mostly above the garage in the loft, in pieces. I just couldn't get a good look at it. Everything should be fitted wood and not standard lumber, though!

Wait... Here's one of the available kits. Yours is likely different because there were so many body styles.
Grille Hood Wood Bumper Motor vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts