VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
10,357 Posts
ive been half heartedly looking at defenders for a few years, maybe further erosion/slow down of old car stuff and BaT hype dying down, plus the slower brit economy might finally make this a time to buy. but my guess is most of the people shopping in that market for their beach house beach cruiser arent too impacted by any of those things.
Heh, let me know if you want to go halfsies on a shipping container. Defenders are like F-150s over there, plenty are available in all conditions including a lot of cheap ones. Our plan was basically to get a cheap roller, restore the chassis and drop in the V6 TDI running gear from a Touareg (which I think I can get working with the MT from a 958 Cayenne!).

agreed
RHD for a fast fun car would be a pass
our silver shadow was RHD and was fine since it moved at its own pace, but for something fun that you might actually look to pass people in - no thanks

a slow RHD offroader, maybe. a slow luxo boat like the shadow, maaaybe. but a performance car. nope
I certainly wouldn't want to daily one; while I do think you get used to it as a driver, other drivers and pedestrians and even your own passenger friends are definitely not used to it. In our case the Defender would largely be a show car--RHD adds value there--and occasionally a wheeler in which case I expect it will make little difference.

· Registered
10,357 Posts
hoa! a CATA/CNRB swap... thats quite the setup. soooo much wiring and whatnot to tuck inside of that defender...
definitely start a thread on that! :)
Yes, definitely lots of wires. Fortunately I'm an EE, can make a bus if I need to for everything to fit. 😂 We miss the old Cayenne diesel a lot and always thought it would've been a great powertrain for an actual truck, and if I take my time and do it right, afterward it's likely fewer headaches than the LR powertrains.

im after either a late series or a defender i can soft top swap, or a soft top already, to have as a multi person summer "convertible". diesel of some variety, but of the LR original kind.
im realistically probably another year or two away from making a move but i think its the next big project on the list.
if it works out for timing keep me on your list for a container :)
We haven't entirely decided on the body yet, probably depends on what's available, but we'd like to have the center-facing rear benches at least and I think she's already got a tartan pattern picked out for upholstery. Year or two could work--we don't have a date; our timeframe is "the next time we need to go to GB for work;" no need to buy tickets out of our own pocket if we have to go for a job anyway.

· Registered
10,357 Posts
If I want my Bug to feel like a modern sports car I drive an early Jeep or a Model T/A. Suddenly it's fast, fun and feels safe!

Also, don't you mean 1X2s? :unsure:
Heh, during the restoration my Uncle might've put the 1x4s in as an upgrade! Next time I'm in the shop I'll investigate that further.

· Registered
10,357 Posts
Don't worry about my bit. I've never seen a Model A while apart, only a T.

Well, that's not quite true. A friend had one, but when I was visiting him it was mostly above the garage in the loft, in pieces. I just couldn't get a good look at it. Everything should be fitted wood and not standard lumber, though!

Wait... Here's one of the available kits. Yours is likely different because there were so many body styles.
View attachment 223033
Most interesting. Fwiw, the 1x4s I referred to were in the floorboards. I think tongue and groove so not quite dimensional lumber. Also I think they were at 45s. I need to get in there and take some pictures and write it up for the thread. 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts