VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
48,461 Posts
Probably some good deals but I'm really not mentally prepared for RHD. Maybe for a track car though?
agreed
RHD for a fast fun car would be a pass
our silver shadow was RHD and was fine since it moved at its own pace, but for something fun that you might actually look to pass people in - no thanks

a slow RHD offroader, maybe. a slow luxo boat like the shadow, maaaybe. but a performance car. nope

ive been half heartedly looking at defenders for a few years, maybe further erosion/slow down of old car stuff and BaT hype dying down, plus the slower brit economy might finally make this a time to buy. but my guess is most of the people shopping in that market for their beach house beach cruiser arent too impacted by any of those things.

· Registered
48,461 Posts
I've seen people come up with "RHD kits" for Beetles. They'll cut out the dash, remove the pedals, footrest, pitman arm, and all of the other parts unique to RHD cars and sell them to Americans who just have to be different. I think it's dumb. Of course if they truly wanted to be different I'd suggest not starting with the highest volume production car in the history of the world, so there's that. :unsure:
yeah thats... odd. i guess just different for different's sake. one of our neighbors 10+ years ago at the shop used to have a side business hacking up s2000s and civics for RHD conversions. just so much "buy why!?!" there.

Heh, let me know if you want to go halfsies on a shipping container. Defenders are like F-150s over there, plenty are available in all conditions including a lot of cheap ones. Our plan was basically to get a cheap roller, restore the chassis and drop in the V6 TDI running gear from a Touareg (which I think I can get working with the MT from a 958 Cayenne!).
whoa! a CATA/CNRB swap... thats quite the setup. soooo much wiring and whatnot to tuck inside of that defender...
definitely start a thread on that! :)

im after either a late series or a defender i can soft top swap, or a soft top already, to have as a multi person summer "convertible". diesel of some variety, but of the LR original kind.
im realistically probably another year or two away from making a move but i think its the next big project on the list.
if it works out for timing keep me on your list for a container :)

Something disappointing like an ID.5. I just can't do the whole "cool car I only drive like once a month" thing and I can't think of any cool motorcycles they got in the UK that we didn't get here.
thats so cool. i bet you could find a base model silver/grey/metallic beige/non-color hyundai or kia product to bring over. really lean into it.
"yeah, i hate cars, with a passion, but this was cheap in the UK"
"what model is it? i have no idea, it was cheap"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts