VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
5,030 Posts
I am not buying any cars, but I am buying restoration parts. It is like a 20 percent off sale.
Where at? I paid way too much from a breaker recently on eBay UK

· Registered
48,461 Posts
I've seen people come up with "RHD kits" for Beetles. They'll cut out the dash, remove the pedals, footrest, pitman arm, and all of the other parts unique to RHD cars and sell them to Americans who just have to be different. I think it's dumb. Of course if they truly wanted to be different I'd suggest not starting with the highest volume production car in the history of the world, so there's that. :unsure:
yeah thats... odd. i guess just different for different's sake. one of our neighbors 10+ years ago at the shop used to have a side business hacking up s2000s and civics for RHD conversions. just so much "buy why!?!" there.

Heh, let me know if you want to go halfsies on a shipping container. Defenders are like F-150s over there, plenty are available in all conditions including a lot of cheap ones. Our plan was basically to get a cheap roller, restore the chassis and drop in the V6 TDI running gear from a Touareg (which I think I can get working with the MT from a 958 Cayenne!).
whoa! a CATA/CNRB swap... thats quite the setup. soooo much wiring and whatnot to tuck inside of that defender...
definitely start a thread on that! :)

im after either a late series or a defender i can soft top swap, or a soft top already, to have as a multi person summer "convertible". diesel of some variety, but of the LR original kind.
im realistically probably another year or two away from making a move but i think its the next big project on the list.
if it works out for timing keep me on your list for a container :)

Something disappointing like an ID.5. I just can't do the whole "cool car I only drive like once a month" thing and I can't think of any cool motorcycles they got in the UK that we didn't get here.
thats so cool. i bet you could find a base model silver/grey/metallic beige/non-color hyundai or kia product to bring over. really lean into it.
"yeah, i hate cars, with a passion, but this was cheap in the UK"
"what model is it? i have no idea, it was cheap"

· Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
10,357 Posts
hoa! a CATA/CNRB swap... thats quite the setup. soooo much wiring and whatnot to tuck inside of that defender...
definitely start a thread on that! :)
Yes, definitely lots of wires. Fortunately I'm an EE, can make a bus if I need to for everything to fit. 😂 We miss the old Cayenne diesel a lot and always thought it would've been a great powertrain for an actual truck, and if I take my time and do it right, afterward it's likely fewer headaches than the LR powertrains.

im after either a late series or a defender i can soft top swap, or a soft top already, to have as a multi person summer "convertible". diesel of some variety, but of the LR original kind.
im realistically probably another year or two away from making a move but i think its the next big project on the list.
if it works out for timing keep me on your list for a container :)
We haven't entirely decided on the body yet, probably depends on what's available, but we'd like to have the center-facing rear benches at least and I think she's already got a tartan pattern picked out for upholstery. Year or two could work--we don't have a date; our timeframe is "the next time we need to go to GB for work;" no need to buy tickets out of our own pocket if we have to go for a job anyway.

· Registered
10,357 Posts
If I want my Bug to feel like a modern sports car I drive an early Jeep or a Model T/A. Suddenly it's fast, fun and feels safe!

Also, don't you mean 1X2s? :unsure:
Heh, during the restoration my Uncle might've put the 1x4s in as an upgrade! Next time I'm in the shop I'll investigate that further.

· Registered
9,237 Posts
Need to wait a few more years until it's legal, but I'll take an EP3 Type-R in Championship White, please

Union Jack next to the Civic logo = made in Swindon (US Sis were, too, they just didn't get the flag)

View attachment 223015

The best looking Civic by far. (y)

Too bad we didn't get the R, because I test drove an EP3 Si and it was a gutless turd.

· Registered
28,108 Posts
Too bad we didn't get the R, because I test drove an EP3 Si and it was a gutless turd.
I bought a new one for $15,900 in 2003 ($4,000 off) - it was a great car if you thought of it kind of like a Civic EX hatch (or like a current Civic Sport). It did 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds and would pull into the rev limiter in 5th gear at 130ish MPH (I'm told... I only ever got it up to 120, by holding down "accel" on the cruise control, haha). Super practical, great shifter, and very reliable (it was in our family until last year).

Pesronally I really liked the VTEC-Lite™ K20A3 - it would pull hard right into the fuel cut (didn't run out of breath) and while it didn't have a frantic rush to 8000+, it did have a smooth linear pull from about 1800 RPM to 7100. Very different from the ones that came before (no low end torque) and after it (frenetic) but just super flexible at just about any RPM in any gear. It's one of my favorite cars I've owned, TBH.

· Registered
9,237 Posts
I bought a new one for $15,900 in 2003 ($4,000 off) - it was a great car if you thought of it kind of like a Civic EX hatch (or like a current Civic Sport). It did 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds and would pull into the rev limiter in 5th gear at 130ish MPH (I'm told... I only ever got it up to 120, by holding down "accel" on the cruise control, haha). Super practical, great shifter, and very reliable (it was in our family until last year).

Pesronally I really liked the VTEC-Lite™ K20A3 - it would pull hard right into the fuel cut (didn't run out of breath) and while it didn't have a frantic rush to 8000+, it did have a smooth linear pull from about 1800 RPM to 7100. Very different from the ones that came before (no low end torque) and after it (frenetic) but just super flexible at just about any RPM in any gear. It's one of my favorite cars I've owned, TBH.
(y) :cool: I really wanted to like it. The seats, shifter location, genuine hatch styling, blue exterior...it just felt like it had no torque.

· Registered
49,803 Posts
Heh, during the restoration my Uncle might've put the 1x4s in as an upgrade! Next time I'm in the shop I'll investigate that further.
Don't worry about my bit. I've never seen a Model A while apart, only a T.

Well, that's not quite true. A friend had one, but when I was visiting him it was mostly above the garage in the loft, in pieces. I just couldn't get a good look at it. Everything should be fitted wood and not standard lumber, though!

Wait... Here's one of the available kits. Yours is likely different because there were so many body styles.
Grille Hood Wood Bumper Motor vehicle

· Registered
10,357 Posts
Don't worry about my bit. I've never seen a Model A while apart, only a T.

Well, that's not quite true. A friend had one, but when I was visiting him it was mostly above the garage in the loft, in pieces. I just couldn't get a good look at it. Everything should be fitted wood and not standard lumber, though!

Wait... Here's one of the available kits. Yours is likely different because there were so many body styles.
View attachment 223033
Most interesting. Fwiw, the 1x4s I referred to were in the floorboards. I think tongue and groove so not quite dimensional lumber. Also I think they were at 45s. I need to get in there and take some pictures and write it up for the thread. 👍

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,645 Posts
As a Saturn fanboi I was bummed that the Astra never got the turbo variants from the Opel Astra. I'd gladly take one for fun.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I also stumbled across this older version on carandclassic.com

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

21 - 40 of 78 Posts