VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
30,098 Posts
My body is ready; my bank account is not.
Came here to post this. I’m a slut for fast sedans, and Lotuses, so this is perfect.

· Registered
Miataspeed,89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 FieSTa, e36 vert
11,404 Posts
If I hadn't found a good R32 I would have bought an early 90s WRX (now with a "Martin" livery haha)

I love Citroens, and Peugeot 504/505s. The Elise seems like the obvious choice.

For something older maybe an SD1 or P6. And I very much doubt Defenders are "cheap because they are basically F150s" now, look at how distorted the classic car market is in Japan, for instance. Cars that were 2-4K are like 20-30K now.

agreed
RHD for a fast fun car would be a pass
our silver shadow was RHD and was fine since it moved at its own pace, but for something fun that you might actually look to pass people in - no thanks

a slow RHD offroader, maybe. a slow luxo boat like the shadow, maaaybe. but a performance car. nope
Never had a problem passing anyone on a 2 lane. Or the track.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Sky Plant Car Vehicle Cloud

Learning to row with your left is fun too.

Reactions: stiggy-pug

· Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2014 Audi Q5 S-Line
6,166 Posts
Porsche prices (and used cars in general) are considerably cheaper in England than here in the US. You can get a used 997 there for around $20k, which is $40k+ here all day long. Unfortunately not old enough yet to import but the 996s are getting there.

I was living back in Essex around 2014 and was amazed at how cheap cars were. I picked up a MK4 GTD for around $600 pounds that was running and solid. With MOT it makes older cars drop in value quickly as they need to be maintained to pass and be road legal.

For example. There are tons more, 996s can be had for $12k range:

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Might actually look into this as I've always wanted an original Mini Cooper. My folks had one as their first car and I owned a couple of the remakes.

· Registered
3,741 Posts
+1 on parts purchasing!

Gonna get myself an Aquamist HFS-3 system very soon,
so good timing for the dollar-pound wallop for me.

On a sad note tho,
Performance MINI magazine has gone out-of-print and this will be their last issue.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

But,
to play along with the import-a-car game at hand,
reckon I'd go in for this little beastie, especially if found in LHD,
and it'd be fun when someone queried wuzzit?
you could answer:
It's a Chrysler Talbot Sunbeam Lotus!

:)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

· Registered
Buzzy Italian and Practical Czech
1,845 Posts

· Registered
39,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
We're only a couple years from 2025 so if some American wants something bad enough, they could buy it now and hold it in UK storage a few years before importing it. Sadly though, the pound has gone up a decent amount since I created this thread. I mean - sad for us but probably for the best for people who actually live in the UK.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
41 - 60 of 78 Posts