VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
14,403 Posts
its pretty, dont get me wrong (that blue too, myyyy god) but everytime i see them i cant help but think how much better itd be with 4 doors haha
i know, i know. thats weird.
I don't think that's weird. I'm of the mind that any vehicle that can physically accommodate 4 doors should have them. 2 doors are for 2 seaters or a 2+2 that doesn't have room for back doors.

· Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2002 Suburban 2500
21,177 Posts
I don't think that's weird. I'm of the mind that any vehicle that can physically accommodate 4 doors should have them. 2 doors are for 2 seaters or a 2+2 that doesn't have room for back doors.
Oh as a lover of full size coupes, and 2 door sedans from years past, I disagree whole-heartedly. 4 handles are for fuddy duddy old men and family haulers. ;)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

2 doors are for rakish young gentlemen who only use backseats for occasionally hauling the extra girlfriends...

· Registered
14,403 Posts
Oh as a lover of full size coupes, and 2 door sedans from years past, I disagree whole-heartedly. 4 handles are for fuddy duddy old men and family haulers. ;)

View attachment 232902

2 doors are for rakish young gentlemen who only use backseats for occasionally hauling the extra girlfriends...
But if you are such a gentlemen, then you should be driving a 2+2 rather than a true 4 seater.

· Registered
21,177 Posts
But if you are such a gentlemen, then you should be driving a 2+2 rather than a true 4 seater.
Again, I come from a background where cars like this existed:

And you only bought it if you were a family man or a traveling salesman...

But these:

Were for singles and young couples. And this version of the same car, was for serious car guys:

Interior room was identical in all of them as was trunk space. But style? Whoo, man, was that ever different! A young man wouldn't want to be caught dead in the first one.

· Registered
14,403 Posts
Again, I come from a background where cars like this existed:

And you only bought it if you were a family man or a traveling salesman...

But these:

Were for singles and young couples. And this version of the same car, was for serious car guys:

Interior room was identical in all of them as was trunk space. But style? Whoo, man, was that ever different! A young man wouldn't want to be caught dead in the first one.
Ah, but a true man of style in the early 70s would have had one of these:

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

· Registered
21,177 Posts
What a broken down little furrin' car with no parts availability? Only if you're a professor of Italian at the local college... ;)

· Super Moderator
7,347 Posts
its pretty, dont get me wrong (that blue too, myyyy god) but everytime i see them i cant help but think how much better itd be with 4 doors haha
i know, i know. thats weird.
Oh in general I tend to agree, especially with SUV’s. But these become some kind of wild unique spec that really appeals to me. I definitely have a thing with a two door spec feeling indulgent, and a right hand drive early Range Rover build going with the two door feels particularly special. Not sensible or practical in any way.

But whatever number of doors you chose, if anything would minimize the issues with having rhd in the states, it would be something this upright. And in anything built before 1974, even a Californian could get it registered with no problem!

EDIT - I also feel this way about early 70’s Jaguar XJ6’s, which are lovely designs as sedans, but in two-door versions become lustworthy.

· Registered
269 Posts

View attachment 232902

Yes, we (some of us) want more 2-door coupes. (I thought "choice" was the operative word these days)

With respect to the dropping British pound (87 US cents today), still not seeing the Aston Martin Vantage at obtainable prices.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts