VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!
Finally finished the break in period of 1k miles and now I'm having some fun!! Does anyone recommend doing an oil change after 1k miles??
Also, I think I've read this somewhere, but do you VR6 owners have issues with the 6speed being flakey? Sometimes it'll shift like buttah, and other times it feels like you're grinding the hell out of it?
Thanks for reading...
Go Cubs!
Lew

·
Registered
659 Posts
lol, yeah my vr6 hates to shift.... i actually jsut put in a post about it a few days ago.... mine showeve ris a 2000 w/ 29k miles on it, but yeah sometimes i can throw to a gear and itll be smooth as can be, other times i have to fight with the shifter to go into gear, esp after ive been sitting stilla dn wanna throw it into first or reverse....

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (bodyboarder20)

Thanks for the reply...I was wondering if I sould bring it in to get looked at . I've read around that the tranny isn't the smoothest, but was wondering if a short throw would cure it...
Rock on!
Lew

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: (Lew_Dog)

You manual should say for a 24v 2.8L VR6. 5K breakin oil change, 10k/LOF service, 20K LOF/service 30K LOF/service etc....etc....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: (03PlatinumGray)

Quote, originally posted by 03PlatinumGray »
You manual should say for a 24v 2.8L VR6. 5K breakin oil change, 10k/LOF service, 20K LOF/service 30K LOF/service etc....etc....

Yeah, but keep in mind who wrote the manual - they probably want you to buy a new car eventally..

I change my oil every 2500 miles, probably a little excessive, but I spoke to a NYC cab driver who was driving a car that was over 15 years old and it's driven in shifts (24 hours a day) and he said they change the oil weekly and that's how they can put the insane miles on those engines. There must be some truth in that...

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Re: (Futura2000)

Careful with the gear changes, you can bent the dog engagement! Mostly into 2nd is the problem. I put in a poly bushing (dogbone) and it helped alot, I think the cables move too much with the engine when you are hammering, so limiting the movement helps.
Oh ya.....change your oil (I like every 5000) and use synthic but no higher then 40W and once you pick a brand stick with it, changing around can damage the engine.

Modified by gehr at 2:50 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Re: Broke a 1000.... (Lew_Dog)

Definitely go to at least 4,000 miles before changing the oil. Your engine comes with special Volkswagen Pentosynth oil to condition it properly for the break in. My service manager told me to at least go to 4,000 the first time, then do it as often as you want.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Broke a 1000.... (Dogdude222)

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll see how the tranny is working when I take the car into the dealer for the first change. If it's still shifting weird, I'll have them test drive it.

Thanks again!
Lew
P.S. Anyone using a short throw? Do you recommend it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts