VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i get yelled at i used the search and only found this.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1823097 . Didn't really help me with what I'm looking for. Anyway...
So today I was about to be on my way when i go to open my door handle and... nothing. It was real easy to pull but you could tell it was not attached to anything if that makes sense. It opens from the inside. When i closed the door i felt like i head something drop in the door I might of just been hearing things? But i was just curious Sound like something i could fix if i just took the door card off? Or dose it sound like i need a Whole new handle? If so anything special about taking the door card off in the corrado or just your basic door card? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Re: Broken Door Handle. (excreations)

Striker broke. That thread you found is exactly what you are looking for. Get in contact with ricky from the street shop, order the part, refer to thread for install, and enjoy not getting in through your passenger door.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts

Quote, originally posted by excreations »
Ha Well thanks very much! Looks like its not to hard?

Nope, not hard at all.
When mine finally broke, I pulled the door card and found remnants from 3 other strikers from the POs.

The hardest part for me was getting the pin out of the old handle. It took quite a bit of time for me (and some cussing).
Here's for the striker arm ------>

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
you don't have to take the door off the car. It's easy, and get a metal striker arm from ricky so you don't have to do it again.
Welcome to one of the corrado's biggest problems. While you're at it clean your sunroof drains!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: Broken Door Handle. (iwantmyvdub)

ha, i was just about to make a thread asking the same question because mine just broke on me an hour ago. So it's the striker and not the holding screw?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Re: Broken Door Handle. (Silver VR6 Corrado)

Quote, originally posted by Silver VR6 Corrado »
You "DO NOT" need to remove the door card for this procedure.

Quite right...I just pulled mine to swap out the speakers...

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

You only need to pull the handle screw out then you can slide the handle forward then pull it away from the door. Then all you have to do is remove the spring pin and pull the broken pieces out and install new ones and reinsert door. No need to unplug the wiring unless you really feel the need to have your handle on a bench.
Ive replaced 5 on the car and only 2 off the car (handles already out of the car).

·
Registered
247 Posts

You only need to pull the handle screw out then you can slide the handle forward then pull it away from the door. Then all you have to do is remove the spring pin and pull the broken pieces out and install new ones and reinsert door. No need to unplug the wiring unless you really feel the need to have your handle on a bench.
Ive replaced 5 on the car and only 2 off the car (handles already out of the car).

maybe you got really proficient with it after so many tries... as for the first time trying, replacing the striker is a picky proposition. on top of that, my handle didn't have enough slack to be taken off the door without unplugging the connector behind the doorcard - factory wires are routed and ziptied tightly in the door so as to not disturb the window going up and down.

Modified by iv38 at 5:27 AM 10-30-2007

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Re: Broken Door Handle. (iv38)

My handles only comes about 2 inches away from the door. Its enough to get a drill bit into the spring clip hole and get it out. I use a small drill bit and slowly try to get it to make the spring clip spin then slowly back it out of the hole.
First 1 I changed the handle was removed from the car. Second thru Sixth were still on the car (2 of which werent even broken and were a major PITA to remove the strikers). And the Seventh one was out of the car already when I did it for the kid.

My door handles were previously replaced by the Original owner so maybe my zip ties werent all in.
I had enough room to get the job done so I didnt bother taking out my wiring.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts

My door handles were previously replaced by the Original owner so maybe my zip ties werent all in.
I had enough room to get the job done so I didnt bother taking out my wiring.

Ah, THAT'S why I didn't have to remove the door card...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.