VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t have a picture, but I’ll try to describe the problem. There is a hose that goes into the air filter box that comes from the front of the engine. It is about a foot long plastic hose that looks like an accordion (ribbed). Its not rubber, but is made of stiff plastic. It seams to come from the belt, water pump area and it goes into the air filter housing. It must carry air to one of the pulleys or maybe has to do with AC?
Mine is broken and I was wandering if anyone has had the same problem.
I looked on the web but couldn’t find it on any of the sites.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: Broken plastic hose (zrkpsp)

Let me help you with a reference photo. Here's a picture of my engine bay with a highlight around what I think you are talking about. I don't know what it is called but I just thought I would help you out.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Re: (zrkpsp)

dunno the OEM part num... might try ccalling them...
but most hoses from advance auto parts should work!!
and'll be cheaper....
it's just a replacement.... give it a try....
engine i washed thoroughfully with water,
be careful not to soak coilpack, that suck believe me....
then polished the intake manifold, and painted with enamel high-temp paint... works great on calipers as well:
-

-
also the crank cover or whatever it is....
painted airbox and engine plastic covers with regular black paint

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zrkpsp »
..buy one. Also, how the hell do you keep your engines that clean?

Thanks for the compliments. I take pride in keeping my car and engine looking excellent. As well as some other on here. No paint used here, just some nice products to clean the engine.
-I personally use a product only available to us here in PR to clean the engine. Not sure if available anywhere else. It is called Dr. Mecanico. It works as good as degreaser, but it is not harsh to plastics, rubber, and metals.
-Then just basically run water over the engine. You can run water over the coilpack, just be sure it does not have any cracks, or it will start arcing.
Some JB Weld or silicone will take car of that.
-After that comes the drying part. You can do it by hand, let it sit in the sun (hood open), or just start the engine and the heat from the engine take care of it.
-Then I apply WD40 or Vaseline on the plastic, and rubber parts, and hoses. Keeps them lubricated and shiny! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Some nice blue magic for the aluminum AC lines! For the chrome look, really brings out the shine!
Sorry for the OT rant on the cleaniness of the engine. But just thought I would explain. Keeping the engine clean is good for looks and longevity. Maintains your hoses and plastic parts from drying out and cracking. Your engine will love you for it!

BTW: Wow I just noticed that I am close to my 1000th post! Wow!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: (izzo)

I read back in the old archieved files that ppl used KIWI shoe polish. Works great as I understand it. And it does make sense in a way. Shoes go through some rough times. Especially Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine, boots (didn't want to leave any armed forces out). I assume it is the liquid kind. I think Syncronicity was the one who metioned it in the post I read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I'll just get the hose from advance auto parts, it makes sense, it doesnt have to be exact. Also, I do have some cracks in the coil and wires also. Sometimes when the car was sitting in the rain for a day it wouldn't start right away and than ran rough until it warmed up. But the coil is FOUR HUNDRED bucks. Any sugestions there?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Not to bursts anyones bubble here but by using any petroleum based product ( like WD-40 which by itselfs is flamable & Vaseline) will compromise the integrity of rubber over a period of time. It actually disintegrates the rubber. The BEST solution for detailing any rubber parts in your engine is a SILICONE based lubricant which will actually shine and protect your rubber hoses from the nasty elements.
p.s it's been 3weeks since i had my B4 wagon.. and i LOVE IT MAN!!!!

hope this info is helpfull..

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zrkpsp »
But the coil is FOUR HUNDRED bucks. Any sugestions there?

aaahhh...i love my early vr6 (no coil pack
)
although i believe someone found a place to get a coil pack for under $200...i think it may have been autozone http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: read this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1281854

Modified by Rippen Raymen at 2:02 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
18,103 Posts

i changed mine last week....
best price i could find for a BERU was $229 on ecstuning,
however they kill on shipping... so i go and print it out
from their website, and drop the bomb in advance auto parts..
they hated me, but the pricematch went through and
gave me the coilpack for $229 and i got it the next day!!!!
could not find it cheaper anywhere but only ecs....
thanks for the advice for the trim paint guys, will try it

btw - any1 to enlighten us difference and pluses
between the newer B3 with coilpack and the old one without?

Modified by izzo at 11:53 PM 5-22-2004

1 - 16 of 16 Posts