VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite ive seen threads about this before... i totally busted off a stud this time. and on my last exhaust install i may have kind of broken one you tell me.
luckily ive got about a week downtime.
as u can see the bottom right stud is busted in half wich is my biggest concern. and the other stud is just out. see picture below.

this is the stud that came out. is it missing the bottom half or is this actaully a whole stud?

either way, how the heck do i get the broken stud out??

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: Broken stud (s)!! ....... (Woody201)

Send them out to pasture. Broken studs ain't no good.

It looks like the one that came out is OK, just replace it with a new one, cleaning the thread first. The broken one can soak in wd40 or something similar and you can maybe get it out with a pair of vicegrips.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Broken stud (screwball)

Ok, im going to buy a frekin lottery ticket right after i post this, cause its my lucky day haha

I got the SOB out with a pair of vice grips, my super human strength, and a small propane torch. It in no way came out cleanly tho. im gonna have to tap the hole. anyone know whatsize where i can get one etc??? also where do i get 2 new studs???

bahabahba

Modified by Woody201 at 4:58 PM 10-29-2006

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Broken stud (nebulight)

i was down to 2 lol. the other stud just came right out with the nut still on it!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Re: Broken stud (s)!! ....... (Woody201)

" Release seized joints, nuts, bolts, split pins and hinges of all kinds quickly and easily with Wurth's new Rost Off Ice. Rost Off Ice instantly cools seized joints to -40 degrees F. causing cold shrinkage. This freezing creates micro-fine cracks in the rust bond. A super penetrating lubricant, fortified with PTFE (Teflon) quickly creeps into the micro-cracks dissolving the rust bond.
Rost Off Ice is ideally suited for hundreds of applications in the automotive, marine and aviation industry where rust has seized screw threads."

Those studs are a PITA. I use this product and let it sit for about an hour. Usually comes apart no drama. Glad to hear the hail Mary vise grips did the trick.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump, anyone know what size the studs are so i get the right tap? id like to go out and get the tap tonite so i can just do it in the AM.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im looking at ecs tuning and they have a million differnt studs and im not sure wich to get. does anyone know the exact dimensions??

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Re: (Woody201)

the person who installed my exhaust stripped out one of my studs and ive been riding on three with no leaks for a year. boy was i pissed when i found out. the bastard didnt even tell me when he did it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (klausgli)

Quote, originally posted by klausgli »
the person who installed my exhaust stripped out one of my studs and ive been riding on three with no leaks for a year. boy was i pissed when i found out. the bastard didnt even tell me when he did it.

man that would piss me off, but i guess there not much u can do about it now.
Anyways the stud is 10mm wide and 10mm=3/8 correct? so i would just need a 3/8 tap right? or are there differnt taps for differnt kinds of threads? or maybe im just thinking into this WAY to much

Modified by Woody201 at 12:02 AM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: (Woody201)

You need a metric tap measuring M10x1.5.......... not a 3/8 tap. It has to be metric.
I just had the same problem as you except that I had to drill out one of my studs and Tap the hole.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
run a 10X1.5mm tap through it to clean it up, then run a new stud in with high temp lock tite to have it handle the heat and not unthread out. This happens all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts