VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I encountered a massive misfire issue whilst driving my ‘15 sportwagen w/ 70k miles. Fault codes showed a misfire in 2 and 4. I did all the prerequisite checks, swapping plugs and coil packs. Compression test showed no compression in cylinder 4, but great compression on 1, 2, and 3.

I pulled the head only to realize it was a broken valve spring on the intake of 4! Everything about cylinder 2 looks fine, which leaves me puzzled...

Is it possible that the misfire was so pronounced, that the fault code for cylinder 2 was also triggered? The only remaining uninvestigated item is the injector. Seems improbable that it would go out the moment that the misfire started on 4.

Any ideas? Will it all go away when I patch up the engine and fix the compression in cylinder 4?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Replace the valve spring on 4, double check the springs on 2, clear codes and see what happens. I've seen random misfires for various reasons on various cars over the years that were very hard to reproduce. Sometimes I've even cleared them and never had any issues return. I think it's likely the severe misfire on 4 might've affected cyl 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts