VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I live in SE PA and bought another GTI....I've had a MK4 Jetta, B5 A4, MK4 GTI, MKVI Golf, and now a MKVII GTI. I'll do small mods here and there - and maybe some larger ones later (like the title says - I broke the bank years ago with cars and modding). I'm older now and honestly the warranty means more than going fast :unsure:.....who knows, I may flip and go APR+ eventually.

Anyway, here's the whip the day I brought it home:

First 'Mod' - new Thule Rack (because Thule doesn't sell foot packs for the previous one I had my MKVI:mad:). Great move by them because I liked the black one better anyway

I just had the VW Mudflaps/splash guards (whatever you want to call them) installed - pics to come. I'll also post an update on some other work I've done with vagcom and tweaks.

Thanks for checking it out - any advice/comments welcome! (y)馃嵑

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the Thule rack is designed to clear an open sunroof? The rack and your SE look great! (y)
Thanks! Yea the rack clears fine - minimal wind noise too. Once it's warmer there will be a mountain bike up there that'll drip gunk/mud on to the car....Can't wait for it to warm up!

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #5
Walking out of work today - here are the splash guards....ignore the salt, we had some snow and I haven't had a chance to wash the car yet.

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #6
OK - I did this over the course of January/February, but here's the list of VCDS/vagcom tweaks/changes I did:
Windows/Sunroof Comfort close/open with keyfob
Windows/Sunroof Comfort close/open with door handle
No seatbelt chime/warning
Changed fog corner lighting speed (so it is used at higher speeds)
Changed fog corner lighting wheel angle (so it turns on sooner during turns/more often)
Auto-Window/Sunroof close if rain is detected :love:
DRL option on MIB (under car setup)
Improved throttle response (direct/linear throttle response)
Unlocked MIB menus (while driving)

I still want to do:
Heartbeat start/stop illumination
Lock/unlock chirp settings
Cluster background change
High-beam assist
Update/change my fog corner lighting settings

I also tried to disable the start/stop on the car - I used the voltage method, the gateway method and neither worked. I have another mod that I started and will post about later today....

So far, loving the car (y)

Registered
Congrats on the GTI, I love those wheels.

For the Auto Start/Stop you can do this:

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #8
I had no idea that plug-in defeat device was a thing - I found another thread and went with a relay that 'pushes' the button for me 5 sec after I start it up.....Pretty neat!

Found a spot to hide it

Registered
I just ordered the plug from AliExpress. Drives me nuts when car shuts off. I still can鈥檛 believe that start stop isn鈥檛 bad for motor and starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2DMK7

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered the plug from AliExpress. Drives me nuts when car shuts off. I still can鈥檛 believe that start stop isn鈥檛 bad for motor and starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know! All of my buddies - "You can turn that off in the settings"...."that's how it is on my car/car I rented"....

Um, nope guys - it's not there! I get the emission requirements, and I do think it works pretty well. It starts up quick.....but it should be an option to 'set' what the default is.

I figured if I can't fix it via software.....hardware is the way to go. It's been working flawlessly. I cleaned up the install by wrapping the wires and using some 3M velcro to 'mount; it right in that spot (so it doesn't rattle).

Going with a hatch pop kit from ECS, and a set of these next: Amazon DSG Paddles. It really needs to be washed too.

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #11
Installed - went with the black ones....So far I like them because of the extra reach, but I don't know if they'll stay on forever...

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered the luft-technik dual air duct, drop in K&N, and a turbo inlet pipe.....Hope they get here soon!

Registered
Congrats!! I just got the same car but in the white silver metallic. where did you buy the roof rack and how did you get the red footwell light? Haha

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats!! I just got the same car but in the white silver metallic. where did you buy the roof rack and how did you get the red footwell light? Haha
Congrats to you too! I was close to getting the white silver myself (My MKVI was white) - I thought the touch of grey looked awesome but opted for black.

Roof rack is Thule and I purchased it from REI - if you have one local I highly recommend paying the membership fee and getting 10% back annually; since I got the roof rack from there I'll be able to spend my member cash back on camping or mountain biking gear (y)

For the footwells - DEAutoKey; https://deautokey.com/. I've used their products on 3 cars now and have never had an issue. Keep an eye out on the forums and you can snag a coupon code.

Registered
Congrats to you too! I was close to getting the white silver myself (My MKVI was white) - I thought the touch of grey looked awesome but opted for black.

Roof rack is Thule and I purchased it from REI - if you have one local I highly recommend paying the membership fee and getting 10% back annually; since I got the roof rack from there I'll be able to spend my member cash back on camping or mountain biking gear (y)

For the footwells - DEAutoKey; https://deautokey.com/. I've used their products on 3 cars now and have never had an issue. Keep an eye out on the forums and you can snag a coupon code.
Thanks! I thought about the black too. I just installed those same paddle shifters but in silver. I feel the exact same way; I like them but not sure if they will stay on forever.
There is actually an REI one freeway exit from my house so I鈥檒l check it out! Thanks for the feedback. Your car is looking good!

Registered
How did you get the 'Auto-Window/Sunroof close' if rain is detected to function properly? A lot of people tried to code this but it doesn't work because of incompatible rain sensor.

Registered
21 GTI SE
Discussion Starter #19
How did you get the 'Auto-Window/Sunroof close' if rain is detected to function properly? A lot of people tried to code this but it doesn't work because of incompatible rain sensor.
Hmm - I don't know that it does function properly as I never tested it....I'll have to look into that and see if it even works.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts