VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago, I installed a BSH Cold Air Intake on my '06 Jetta. The change in engine noise was dramatic. Things went from very quiet and muted, to very throaty and quite loud, especially in the 3,000-4,5000 RPM range during hard acceleration.

Here's the question ........ what exactly is the cause of all the increased noise? It seems odd that straightening-out and shortening the intake airway would "create" engine noise, so I'm guessing the sound was always there but was muffled by the stock breather setup?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Think of it not in terms of just air going in. Think of it more like a muffler works. So if you got a huge muffler with lots of turns and baffles inside, it's going to trap allot of moving air. Moving air is pretty much sound. So then you get a muffler with no bends, no baffles just straight open hole. The sound that was bouncing around inside now goes stright though and once outside expands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I read you right, you're talking about exhaust sound. I'm talking about sound that 100% from under the hood. I've had a friend tramp on the gas while I stood in front and at the rear of the car and confirmed the noise is all about the intake.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
^ exactly

Same concept, other side of the engine. If you were to cut the stock air box open, you would probably see a little bit of baffling to slow (and therefor quiet) the intake charge.

That being said, if you listen to 2 cars with the same performance system, but only one has a CAI/short-ram, the one with the intake will have more depth to the exhaust note (not necessarily a lower pitched note, but a fuller tone).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.