VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So dug into my VR to do chains and went overboard, restoring/coating everything. I installed a few bits along with all new timing components and havent gotten tuned yet (would like to sort this first). I only removed VVT with the schimmel cam plates/chain tensioner because the head was decked before getting my O.K. And the chain had slack i couldnt remove with the stock actuators.

-Schrick 268/264 cams
-Schimmel Cam Plates
-Schimmel Manual Chain Tensioner
-DSG Dual Mass Flywheel
-USP HiFlow Cats/Downpipes
-Custom Magnaflow 2.5” Catback
-Ceramic Coated/Ported Exhaust Manifolds
-ECS Poly Motor Mounts
-032 Dogbone Insert

Im getting codes:
-P000A/000010 - Camshaft A (Bank 1 Intake): Positioner Slow Response
-16398/P0014/000020 - Bank 1: Camshaft B (Exhaust): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
I feel definitive hesitation on partial throttle and even getting into the kickdown switch is lack-luster. Fuel trims are within spec as well. Any one seen these codes with installing? Thanks for any leads!

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
You should share your build in the VW R32 Owner's group on Facebook :)

www.facebook.com/groups/vwr32/

So dug into my VR to do chains and went overboard, restoring/coating everything. I installed a few bits along with all new timing components and havent gotten tuned yet (would like to sort this first). I only removed VVT with the schimmel cam plates/chain tensioner because the head was decked before getting my O.K. And the chain had slack i couldnt remove with the stock actuators.

-Schrick 268/264 cams
-Schimmel Cam Plates
-Schimmel Manual Chain Tensioner
-DSG Dual Mass Flywheel
-USP HiFlow Cats/Downpipes
-Custom Magnaflow 2.5” Catback
-Ceramic Coated/Ported Exhaust Manifolds
-ECS Poly Motor Mounts
-032 Dogbone Insert

Im getting codes:
-16398/P0014/000020 - Bank 1: Camshaft B (Exhaust): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
I feel definitive hesitation on partial throttle and even getting into the kickdown switch is lack-luster. Fuel trims are within spec as well. Any one seen these codes with installing? Thanks for any leads!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Check these measuring blocks in VAGCom :

"Valid for both MK4 and MK5 R32:
• Blocks 208 & 209 should be as close as possible to 0°, the spread should not exceed 3°. The absolute wear limit is 8° spread whether + or minus. If the spread is well above 3° but under the limit, then chain & guide replacement should be considered.

Golf 5 R32 & Audi BUB only (intake adjustment range 52°/exhaust adjustment range 42°):
• For both blocks 90 & 91 the set-point value at idle is 0°, no matter what the values in blocks 208 & 209, at a duty ratio of about 15.3%.
The actual value should not be more than 0.5 ° (Valid for both OEM & aftermarket cams).
If the values are way off from 0° the timing chain may be mistimed or skipped. Around 11.25° deviation corresponds to a skip of 1 tooth."

Check the values at operating temp. The VVT solenoids can cause problems if gunked up, or simply dead.

Im getting codes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check these measuring blocks in VAGCom :

"Valid for both MK4 and MK5 R32:
• Blocks 208 & 209 should be as close as possible to 0°, the spread should not exceed 3°. The absolute wear limit is 8° spread whether + or minus. If the spread is well above 3° but under the limit, then chain & guide replacement should be considered.

Golf 5 R32 & Audi BUB only (intake adjustment range 52°/exhaust adjustment range 42°):
• For both blocks 90 & 91 the set-point value at idle is 0°, no matter what the values in blocks 208 & 209, at a duty ratio of about 15.3%.
The actual value should not be more than 0.5 ° (Valid for both OEM & aftermarket cams).
If the values are way off from 0° the timing chain may be mistimed or skipped. Around 11.25° deviation corresponds to a skip of 1 tooth."

Check the values at operating temp. The VVT solenoids can cause problems if gunked up, or simply dead.
lol you serious?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You deleted your VVT, of course the ECU is gonna throw codes.

I have a decked head and VVT. Heck I've had a headspacer / decked head and ran VVT no problem.

Either throw in your old phaser and time it properly or buy an standalone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts