VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey DUDES, new member here. Sorta. Forgot my old login, but I've owned VWsAudis for about a decade now. Anyway, onto the 911.

So here's the story:

My dad's neighbor had this old 70s 911 when I was a kid that I always thought was awesome; I literally grew up next to this car. I had the opportunity to buy it 5-6 years ago, so I pulled the trigger. It had been sitting in a garage since 1992, but it was far from perfect. The brakes were seized/dragging from sitting, the paint and interior and weatherstripping were shot, the suspension was worn out, and the engine and transmission leak a crazy amount of oil, like over a quart a week.

I got a great deal since this was just before the giant explosion in 911 pricing, but unfortunately that giant price increase affected used parts as well. Used 3.2L engines skyrocketed from $5-7,000 to $12-15,000. I can't afford that, at all, my daily is a 20 year old honda lolz

I'm a firm believer that even super complex jobs are achievable for almost anyone if you break them up into small enough steps! I'm just a hobbyist mechanic, and I've never torn into an aircooled car before, so I'm really clueless on most of this stuff. Would appreciate any support or tips; if you see me doing something incorrectly, let me know! I don't make any money off from youtube, I do this mainly just to share knowledge, passion, and hopefully inspire others to dive in to something they've never done before. I see so many posts on here from people wanting to get 'good' at fixing cars, but the most important step is WILLINGNESS TO TRY. I've never done this. I have no experience with these cars. Let's do it!

Here's the link for the first episode where I go over the car, discuss finding an affordable 911, and talk about the goals and overall outline of the project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_jFiTON2g

Episode 2 is the How To on removing the engine/transmission. I'd never done this before, and apart from running into a few road blocks, it went pretty smoothly. I documented this partially to help everyone else out, and partially so I know how to put it back together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W870A-EizDE

Episode 3 Checking the Head Studs! Magnesium case, scary stuff!

https://youtu.be/-0gUImuE5e0

Episode 4 is up, doing a leakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUn1QOK5vDg

LATEST: Episode 12:

Feel free to follow along! Cheers! If you have tips/tricks and advice, would LOVE to hear it. I'm a complete newb at this drivetrain.

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
I'm a firm believer that even super complex jobs are achievable for almost anyone if you break them up into small enough steps! I'm just a hobbyist mechanic, and I've never torn into an aircooled car before, so I'm really clueless on most of this stuff.

I agree. "No Fear & a Lot of Beer" will get you just about anywhere you need to be on anything mechanical.

·
Registered
S2000
7,369 Posts
Welcome!

We have a few members undergoing mechanical refurbs and DIY's of various air cooled cars right now so you'll fit right in. :beer:

I love the mid-years, honestly might be my favorite 911 from a stylistic standpoint (impact bumpers and all).. .especially in a brighter shade that seemed to disappear with the SCs and Carrera.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're going to join multiple forums and post the same story/YT video, at least update the forum name first.
lol. Sorry, was frustrated, just spent like 10 minutes trying to guess my old username/password, gave up, registered a new account, couldn't share a link without 5 posts first, ARGH. So I copied and pasted.

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
lol. Sorry, was frustrated, just spent like 10 minutes trying to guess my old username/password, gave up, registered a new account, couldn't share a link without 5 posts first, ARGH. So I copied and pasted.
I see you fixed it. The only problem is that you're not on VWVortex, you're in The Car Lounge. Lots of people get here from other portals and it's a general car forum. Lots of them will call you out on it, too. (Not just me.) :) :beer:

TL,DR: It's The Car Lounge, so fix it again!

·
Registered
22,278 Posts
$5-7,000 to $12-15,000. I can't afford that, at all, my daily is a 20 year old honda lolz
*air-cooled P-car*

You're gonna have a bad time.

But I wish you luck and am in for the show. :beer:

Any particulars just ask, there's a lot of hidden air cooled knowledge and experience in this forum.

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
I see you changed it to “hey DUDES”. Some of the ladies may bust your chops for that one. :laugh: :beer:

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
I see you changed it to “hey DUDES”. Some of the ladies may bust your chops for that one. :laugh: :beer:

Who you calling a "lady?" :D

Glad to see you documenting it OP, hell I would not be able to afford them if I did not do all the work myself nor would want to be one of those that just drops it off at a shop and has it built to your never satisfied spec. The wrenching experience is 3/4 of the fun. Granted it is not so fun when all of them are broken and it is a nice day out and you want to go out for a drive!

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
in on this!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts