VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Nah, it's definitely seated. Triple checked it, even tried tapping it around with a piece of wood. There's a pin on the bottom that goes into a slot, so there isn't much room for error.

Made some progress today...

Runners just sitting there because I wanted to visualize what's been in my head for 6 months now. Really starting to get stoked. I think a lot of people use the wrong colors for emphasis on this engine; if you paint the timing chain covers black, it looks badass on the stand but once you have black shrouds/engine tin it just makes the whole engine disappear in the engine bay. Purposefully keeping raw alumium next to the graphite/charcoal engine tins, with the gold for "pop".

Top view, before I started tearing into the CIS system, just cuz it's a rare view of a 911 engine, really shows off the design of the runners pretty well:

Test fit the exhaust... yeah... I am still aware it's way too big for this engine, and my performance will suffer. I'm still going to run it. I don't know for how long before I switch it to something else, but this system is just too badass not to use for a bit. Maybe I'll eventually build a 3.6 to justify it.

Wound up tearing the CIS system all the way down to the airbox. Fixing a split seam w plastic epoxy, and swapping the machine screws for nuts/bolts/washers for more compression. Should hold okay, also installing a pop off valve to prevent it from splitting in the future. THing was DISGUSTING. I probably spent 2 hours cleaning this so far...

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
Nah, it's definitely seated. Triple checked it, even tried tapping it around with a piece of wood. There's a pin on the bottom that goes into a slot, so there isn't much room for error.
Good. :thumbup:

Wound up tearing the CIS system all the way down to the airbox. Fixing a split seam w plastic epoxy, and swapping the machine screws for nuts/bolts/washers for more compression. Should hold okay, also installing a pop off valve to prevent it from splitting in the future. THing was DISGUSTING. I probably spent 2 hours cleaning this so far...
Also good.

For those who don't know, if a CIS 911 backfires it can do some fairly serious damage, so a large popoff valve that self-closes prevents that damage.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It looks like a previous backfire already split the intake. I had no idea, it drove fine. The portion of the intake with the runners attaching to it was SO GROSS tho. I mean like 1/8-1/4" of black oily gunk just coating the insides. So nasty. Scape w screwdriver, vacuum, brake clean, wipe, repeat over and over and over and over.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
You may have covered this in one of the videos and I missed it, but--is there a reason you stuck with the 5 blade fan?
Yup, went over it here in episode 7, but basically moving to an 11 blade would require a new shroud, and a new fan + shroud is $1000ish.

I haven't ever had oil temp problems with this car before; it does have a trombone cooler in the front wheel well, and for $1000 I'd rather upgrade that to a carrera oil cooler if I really wanted to drop temps. If this were a track car, I'd do it.... but I think there's a LOT of hate on the 5 blade for running hot when most of the issue was probably the thermal reactors trying to burn off the emissions.

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
Yup, went over it here in episode 7, but basically moving to an 11 blade would require a new shroud, and a new fan + shroud is $1000ish.

I haven't ever had oil temp problems with this car before; it does have a trombone cooler in the front wheel well, and for $1000 I'd rather upgrade that to a carrera oil cooler if I really wanted to drop temps. If this were a track car, I'd do it.... but I think there's a LOT of hate on the 5 blade for running hot when most of the issue was probably the thermal reactors trying to burn off the emissions.
I don't think there's as much hate for the 5 blade fan as there is for the thermal reactors! :laugh:

That said, I'm not a fan of the 5 blade fan, either. The only logical reason for them to use it was to raise the temps for emission purposes, which I can't say I'm a fan of. I've never verified that, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

·
Registered
26,069 Posts
I don't think there's as much hate for the 5 blade fan as there is for the thermal reactors! :laugh:

That said, I'm not a fan of the 5 blade fan, either. The only logical reason for them to use it was to raise the temps for emission purposes, which I can't say I'm a fan of. I've never verified that, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
That’s what has been stated...hence why I asked.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I've also heard that the 11 blade fan has more drag and limits power... so... who knows. Point is, I don't think the fan matters much for a street car. Carrera cooler is probably a bigger impact than the fan would be, in most cases.

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
I've also heard that the 11 blade fan has more drag and limits power... so... who knows. Point is, I don't think the fan matters much for a street car. Carrera cooler is probably a bigger impact than the fan would be, in most cases.
Of course the 11 blade fan has more drag. It moves more air and that takes energy. That’s exactly the point. :beer:

Also, cooling the oil is great, but hot oil in an air cooled engine comes from cylinder head heat, so you’re treating a symptom more than the cause, which means the heads are still hotter than they would be with an 11 blade fan. As to how important that is I can’t say, because it’s a variable with horsepower used constantly, horsepower used in bursts, gearing, vehicle speed, engine RPM, vehicle weight, ambient temperature, altitude, etc.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yeah yeah yeah. If you wanna buy me an 11 blade I'll use it :p

Plus it's easy to change later.

Anyway, MORE PROGRESS. Engine is starting to look like something now:

Currently balls deep in the CIS system which has been torn down into a million pieces, so that's fun.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I'm behind in videos from where I'm actually at, lot of this fuel/air CIS system stuff is super time consuming, wow.

Anyway, I tear down the CIS system to the bare airbox, discover mine is blown, fix it using new fasteners (nuts/bolts instead of screws), plastic epoxy, and a pop off valve. Pretty in depth, not a fun video to watch but if you wanna learn how to do this, here you go:

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
Those are Nyloc nuts so it doesn’t vibrate apart, sending the bolts down the intake, right?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Yup. In retrospect I should have put the nuts on the bottom, but I thought of that after I finished, so I dripped superglue on the threads and where they touch the washers. I don't think they're going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Ok, update, but I gotta say this part was worse than everything else so far. The CIS rebuild.

I go through how to
  • rebuild the intake runners, new fuel injector inserts/o rings, new boots/sleeves
  • how to install them on the airbox and keep them level
  • Resealing the cold start valve
  • Cleaning and reassembling the air meter & throttle body
  • EGR delete
  • Spark plug wires/routing, ignition coil installation
  • Airbox supports and modifications
  • Install WUR, AAR
  • ALL NEW hoses
  • Vacuum line routing

Now that I've done it, it seems straightforward; I definitely learned a lot doing this, but before I did it the vacuum hose routing was sort of a nightmare, since my car has the EGR system removed, it wasn't matching up with the factory diagrams. I wound up finding an image on pelican that helped immensely....

So here's the kicker: After installing all this to the engine, I remembered that when I used the engine hoist to lift it off the ground onto the engine stand, I removed the intake/fuel system.... so... unless I come up with a creative way of getting this back onto the ground, I might have to take all this **** back OFF, install the engine leveler, lift it off the stand, place it on the ground, then reinstall it. I really don't want to do that... so... if anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Couple updates;

First is trying to backflush the CIS fuel injectors. This should be the same for ANY car that uses CIS, BMW, Benz, Porsche, etc etc etc.

This procedure is explained in web forums and there's a mercedes tech who shows his very nicely dialed in setup for doing this on YT, so I gave it a try. The issue is the injectors themselves have a super fine screen that collects sediment and fuel deposits, so blowing through them the same way the fuel flows doesn't really fix them. Anyway, I had varying degrees of success, check it out:

Second update is I finished up installing my 'backdated heat' setup, which gets rid of the 12v blower, extra hoses, etc.

Putting the engine tin on today and trying to get it off the engine stand and onto the ground. Fuel lines this weekend... getting close gentlemen!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Yeah, kind of. I'm honestly super pissed off and bummed.

So I had all my powdercoating and plating done at a place that is a 1 man operation, side gig. Guy does decent work, but it has taken forever. I gave him all my parts in... idk.. ****ing JUNE? I Just got my motor mount back a week ago. It is powdercoated beautifully.... but completely unusable.

911 mounts have two little fins on the side to help mount the engine tin, and these little fins are spot welded to the cast piece. One of mine was snapped off. I told him I needed the little ear welded on, and then powdercoated to match all the other tin. Again, in june.

I picked it up last friday... when it was finally done as he's been out of town since like thanksgiving and then had covid, etc etc etc. The broken ear is welded on... upside down. The nut is on the top. It's also welded onto the FRONT of the ****ing engine mount. Like, I don't even know how you mess this up this bad.

Example photo, the 'tab' on the right side is upside down, and welded to the FRONT of the ****ing bracket.

Like... what the acutal **** how would this ever make sense. I told him it was unusable and he said "well it was hard to weld and kept blowing out" okay fine but if you were confused about the orientation or location (which... cmon now, A: It's obvious as there was still a thin flange of where it mounted, and B if you were confused google it or ask me instead of welding it on in the wrong spot upside ****ing down.)

So. I am a bit pissed. I was also rushing to get this done before the snow and salt arrived, so I could stash the 911 and throw my new jaguar XJ6 project under the knife. Now... there's no rush, I'm pissed, I have no idea what to do, I can't weld and fix this myself because I don't have the equipment or experience, and I don't know who else to go to.

So instead I am focusing on a ****ty 20 year old snowmobile project. For now.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts