VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1781 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, back in September of 2010 i picked this cherry up as a flip car for some quick cash. Well after getting it home and really getting into it i decided to keep it for myself for a daily as my Hemi 2500 isnt so good on gas. Onto the pics.

Car was in good machanical condition only had a leaking oil cooler seal. picked her up for $1500.
1997 Jetta GLS Automatic with 131k on it

Nice rocker dent
( will get pulled eventually )

Got the car to my shop to start on the suspension first.

Before

Picked up this neuspeed brace locally

Carpet cut for fitment.

Then dropped the subframe for an overhaul, previous owner hit something and bent the Sh*t out of the drivers tie-rod.

Both rack books where torn so....

Lets replace :)

R32 control arm bushings, BFI poly front bushings.

New boots, clamps, tie rod ends & drivers tie-rod.

Subframe complete with all updated bushings ( i know the sway bar is installed upside down i realized after i took the pic ) BFI .5 front motor mount, BFI stealth rear motor mount, Corrado G60 solid rubber trans mount.

Now on to the rear

Rear disc conversion from a 94 Jetta. Pressed in new axle bushings then Prothane inserts.

More brake upgrades.

Corrado G60 front brake upgrade ( i rebuilt all calipers before installation )

Picked up this Autotech 28mm sway bar off the classifieds. Just installed new hardware for mounting it up.

Then installed this Neuspeed strut bar i also picked up on the forums, mounted with black allens & threaded strut towers.

The dropped it down on my freshly refinished Borbet Type Cs. :) Lowered on SuperSport's 60/40 kit VR6 HD strut mounts and Prothane rear strut bushings.

More to come...

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a laundry list of parts to install and work to be done, but by mid-end summer this should be rebuilt & installed. but we'll get to that later after i get the rest of my pictures uploaded.

T3 off a Saab i think, picked it up from some guy on here.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trans swap?anytime soon? but nice pics and love the color
Yep i got a 02A out of a 1990 Passat 16v. Just rebuilt it just finishing all the maintanance before the swap begins.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got that same turbo... good choice for an intro build :thumbup:
Yeah im trying to keep it simple on this build, because this is what i ended up with my last build.

Fully built VR-T in this

Ended up getting rid of it as gas mileage sucked ( clearly ) no traction regardless of LSD and it spent most its life being a garage orniment. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Don't be afraid to drive your car man. I daily drove mine until I had to park it due to an accident and picked up a daily. Drove around in the Hyundai while fixing the MK3, and while the car isn't exactly what I want (and probably never will be), I can easily pick up the keys on my way out of the door and drive it without issue.

When my car becomes an issue where I'm afraid to drive it (I'm really only afraid to park it places because people are *******s) I'll probably sell it. Seems like that was your problem last time. Don't let it happen again :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah 300+ horse, front wheel drive and a VR... it just wasnt practical, it got worse gas mileage than my truck. This car im looking to hopefully get 200-225whp but with a much smaller turbo and more of a progressive power band for a daily.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AEG exhaust manifold

Inner welds ground down & smoothed.

Header Wrap

Crapshield cut off

Autotech 270 cam, TT cam gear.

OBD1 head swap, started to refresh it.

heads straight, cleaned, deburred, new seals, AEG lifters. Valves seated and complete.

Yanked the old head & retarded hydrolic tensioner set up

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great work! Love the great number of pics! :D Unfortunatley people never give build threads the attention the deserve here on vortex.. :confused:

That suspension rebuild has got to make everything feel so good!
Thanks, the suspension set up is amazing it handles so good.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rear main seal looked rough.

So i changed it out.

Had the flywheel lightened to 10lbs

Kind of a Frankenstein clutch set up - Passat 02A lightened flywheel, Corrado G60 Sachs clutch disc, VR6 Pressure plate.... smoooooooth clutch pedal :)

Swapped in my freshly rebuilt 02A out of a 1990 Passat 16v.

Bolted the head down

Cam installed, new cam seal as well

AEG oil splash shield

Ported AEG lower intake manifold

Yes those are OBX 10.5mm Spark plug wires lol, new cap & rotor as well with Bosch Platinum 4s.

Ported & polished AEG upper manifold

Needs a re polish after handling it.

Installed the exhaust manifold & AEG aluminum heat shield.

Started mocking up an intake, extending MAF & IAT harness as well as modifying the timing cover.

1 - 20 of 1781 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.