VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed a diy brake retrofit on the Q3.

I haven’t found a thread where someone who documented this retrofit on a MKI Q3 Quattro. I am going to try this and share about it here.

DISCLAIMER
If you choose to do this, it is at your own risk. I cannot and will not accept any responsibility if you choose to try this retrofit.

I will keep updating this thread as I encounter problems and attempt to sort them out. I will also edit this first post to show the most updated information.

The thread I followed was for the PQ35 VW Golf. It shares the same chassis as the 2015-2018 Audi Q3/VW Tiguan.

The retrofit calls for:

2007-2010 VW Touareg Base 4 piston brake calipers (BM5) and brake pads.

(BM5 supposed to be the same as the 1LE), it says in the thread that the 17z will work as well. I can’t verify the 17z or the 1LE, as I am installing the BM5.

2008 Mercedes ML320 Base Diesel 330x32mm rotors.

The only thing with these rotors is the center bore is larger than the hub and a special hub ring adapter must be used. Also the mounting screw hole on the Mercedes brake rotor does not line up with the Q3 hub.

Hub centric ring adapters

They come in plastic or metal. I ended up using the 65.1/67.1mm plastic ones. The metal ones did not work for my wheels and spacers.
I initially gave out bad information
CORRECT IS 65.1-67.1
NOT CORRECT 57.1-67.1. My abject apologies for that.

MKIV R32 Brake hoses

Required for the the Brembo Caliper when used on a Q3/Tiguan.

Wheel Spacers with matched lug bolts.

Required for your front wheels to fit around the larger brake caliper. A minimum of 10 mm was suggested, however I used 12mm ones.

(Not required but will look strange without)
If you don’t get rear spacers it will have a strange stance. I ended up installing H&R 20mm spacers with matching lug bolts on the rear wheels.

Referenced from
Follow thread,

How-to Porsche Cayenne / VW Toureg / Audi Q7 Brembo brakes.

DIY: Cayenne/Touareg Front Brake Installation (low-cost BBK)

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tiguan-mk5-6-parts-compatibility-thread.6123341/

My garage

I made many mistakes and shared it here.

Wheel spoke clearance bothered me.

Caliper and rotor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am going to do some more research before I go any further. I will update this thread as soon as a decision is made.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Day 2

Without a machine shop with a mill I will not try to modify the mounting tabs. There would be no way to ensure they would be perfectly flat.

The gap between the inboard side of the rotor and the caliper is good on top and bottom.

The space between the outboard side of the rotor and caliper appeared too close. I don’t know for sure filing is required for this retrofit.. it was just what I did on mine.

Bottom

Instead of having the caliper mounting tabs milled and moving the caliper slightly outward. I decided to use a file and filed down the caliper (not the caliper mounting tabs). I used a metal file on the inside edges top and bottom to increase the gap between the outboard side of the rotor and the adjacent facing side of the caliper. Then I can try match the gap on the other side. To me the rotor looks centered enough and the part I am going to file is just on the caliper. Pics with green arrows will show where I filed. Again I don’t know if filing this is required, I chose to do so. Looking back at the project later I am not convinced this was necessary.

Mocked up to check work, removed again for more filing. The two areas that concerned me are looking much better but could use more clearance.

Thought I finished but I was wrong.

Several test fits later I ended filing 2.5mm off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ordered the wrong hoses at first. MKV hoses looked nearly identical as the ones I removed from the Q3. Then I researched and tried some RS4 hoses. They were not long enough.

Banjo bolt thread compared with fitting that was left in the brembo caliper.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to go figure this out and try to find a solution.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
RS4 hoses are not long enough. I tried to run them and had problems when turning the wheels full left or right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was able to use the factory bracket for the hoses and Touareg sensor wires. Installed the front left and didn’t like the gap between the caliper and the rotor. So I took it all apart and filed until the gap was 2.5mm.

I want to be clear that I didn’t touch the mounting tabs.

I drilled a screw mounting hole in the rotor using a drill press. Later I broke the rotor. Literally pulled the hat away from the rotor cracking it. This happened while trying to mount the wheel. I didn’t know I needed spacers. I should have paid more attention to detail.

I was exhausted and called it a day.

Pic of OE brackets

1. Brake hose bracket between the brake line and hose connection.

2. Bracket for brake hose, pad sensor wire, and abs sensor wire.

3. Brake hose grommet looks very similar to the one on the original line

4. Brake pad sensor wire connector from the Cayenne pads plugged into the factory harness and the connector slides into the bracket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I marred my caliper and the rotor cracked when I tried to remount the wheel. My not double checking the clearance was the mistake. I expected it to be challenging and maybe not possible, I didn’t expect to break a rotor because I am an idiot. Now I know what to expect (because I am an idiot). Both of these problems were preventable and only happened because I am stupid and didn’t pay enough attention to detail. Learn and move on.

Now I have to spot repair the caliper finish that I marred and order another rotor because I cracked one. The rotors came from pelican parts, so I’m just going to order one more from them and have it shipped. Meanwhile I will spot repair the paint damage on the caliper. I am so stupid, what a bummer. But that is why I am documenting my experience for others to learn from my mistakes.

I ordered another brake rotor and won’t get here for a week (I opted for the cheapest shipping). Will focus on what I can do until then. Still have one good rotor and will replace this broken one. Sand and paint the left caliper. I can mount the other caliper and have it all ready for when the new rotor arrives. Picked up two more bottles of brake fluid. It took almost an entire bottle to flush the left front line and caliper.

Marred caliper

Cracked rotor

Nothing else appears to be damaged, I checked the wheel, caliper, and wheel hub.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
On a good note, I drove up to Achtuning and picked up some 12mm spacers and new lug bolts for the front. They have really been helpful and had the parts I needed in stock both times. I was impressed by the attention to detail. Many specific and thorough questions to ensure everything would work. Excellent customer service and selection.
Thumbs up for Achtuning!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The spacers will give it a slightly wider track upfront widening 12mm on each side. The lug bolts are 12mm longer than stock to accommodate the spacer. The bolts are ball seated for the vehicle’s original factory wheel. By adding the wheel spacers, there should be enough room for the wheel to clear the caliper. Soon The rear wheels will get spacers as well.

I started sanding the caliper’s damaged paint area. Sprayed it with the matching Krylon Max High Temp paint (supposed to be rated for up to 1200 degrees). Ordered a can of 2K gloss as well. When I bought these calipers they came off of a Touareg, I am not sure which model year. The donor vehicle had approximately 55k miles. Refinished them and let them cure for a couple of weeks. Below a pic of them original add on eBay. Basically the same as on the same year base Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. Just not painted from the factory, which makes them significantly less expensive.

Bought on eBay original condition

Painted then damaged by me

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
While working on the caliper I heard a delivery truck pull up in front of the house. I checked the front porch and the rotor had arrived. I wasn’t expecting it for another several days. Pelican parts must of got it out quick and fed ex ground was very fast. Today is Sunday and I wasn’t expecting it till Friday. Now Just waiting on the 2k clear from ebay to arrive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In order to refinish the caliper I needed some 2k clear coat spray cans. Bought some eBay and they finally arrived. Decided I would go ahead paint my wheels gloss black as well. This took a lot of time and the car has been down for weeks. I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Reply to bsickpassat, sorry the Atlas rotors will not work with this particular caliper the Bm5, or the 17z or the 1le. 330 mm is very close. I don’t think there is enough space there. There is a 18z Touareg caliper build but I don’t know anything about that one. Thank you for replying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Originally I had a few issues. In the end the RS4 hoses were not long enough. This caused some problems when turning the wheel full left or right. The MKIV R32 hoses fixed the issues.

The brakes feel and look great. Painting the wheels and installing the Golf R suspension has really changed the look of the vehicle so far. I also installed 20mm rear spacers with matched lug bolts. For these factory wheels they are ball seat. If you are interested in getting some wheel spacers in the PNW I highly recommend Achtuning in Redmond, WA.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have been driving everyday and the brakes are excellent. No issues, no noises, silent and powerful. Well, I get one little squeal when backing out of my driveway when the vehicle is cold. It disappears immediately after.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update

I think the RS4 hoses are just a little too short for the Q3. When I turn the wheel all the way left or right it pulls on the brake line.
Exploring Achtuning.com I came across some stainless R32 hoses that appear to have the correct thread fitting. It appears to be longer than the RS4 hoses. I think I must of screwed up when I ordered the first set hoses because they used a completely different fitting. Which is why I tried the RS4 hoses. So now I ordered some MKIV R32 stoptech braided lines from Achtuning. Will update after receiving and install.

Also After spirited driving I heard a grinding noise again when turning the wheel all the way. Still can’t seem to sort this out. Maybe it’s heat related. If it is heat related then I am wondering if it could be because of the plastic hub-centric ring adapters. Ordered some aluminum ones from the same company.

In the end the metal centric adapters didn’t fit. The RS4 hoses were too short. MKIV R32 hoses ended up solving this issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, so stoptech hoses for a MKIV R32 not easy to source. At this moment I am waiting for some hoses from ECS.

Ultimately what I realized was that at my first attempt at retrofitting this brake setup. I ordered the incorrect brake hose. Ordered MKV Golf hoses while thinking I had ordered MKIV R32 hoses. When the MKV hoses didn’t work I looked for an alternative. This was stupid because I thought I had r32 hoses and they “didn’t work”. I was too dumb to figure out they were not r32 hoses. I tried RS4 hoses, unfortunately they are too short for this set up. When the wheel is turned all the way it pulls the hose.
ECS MKIV R32 hoses on the way.

One day I will get this retrofit sorted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts